Player Discussion Joshua Roy

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Roy seems to have a lot of detractors. Polarizing prospect in a sense.

I am not one of those people, I think he’s a Top-6 player for us for a long time.
We have a lot of supporting players and not many drivers. Hopefully once that’s resolved, we’ll see Roy’s true potential.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
You think he can be a top 10 scorer in the league at some point ?
Tanguay had what 1 season where he was top-10 scorer, and he did that with 79 points alongside the Sakic & Forsberg led Avalanche. Kind of feel like that top-10 scorer label is similar to Hyman, Nugent-Hopkins or to go back in time a bit Cheechoo where it's the environment more so then the player's actual skill level that gives them the label.

I do think Roy could have Tanguay like numbers, ie several 70-80 point seasons. But for him it's always going to be dependent on the environment, and that's where things might be difficult to get the labels like top-10 or 90 points. I don't think we are building an environment that's conductive to the Tanguay level players producing those big numbers since they almost always involve playing #1 PP alongside a couple superstars. We look to be building a more balanced group of forwards and Roy will have a hard time cracking the #1 PP. And nobody puts up huge numbers without first wave PP time.

Reactions: Chr1s97

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
For me Roy just needs to quicker with his starts and stops his brain works faster than his feet.
Usually it's the other way around which is far worse IMO.
I think this happens with experience/time, the NHL game is so quick that even when you have a high hockey IQ when you first get to the NHL it takes that extra half second to process the game and to understand exactly how much time and space you really have. Once you get used to the pace of the NHL game you can get back to anticipation game and as MSL says play in the future instead of the present.

Roy's success at the NHL level isn't about being quicker (Athough it will certainly help him and he should be working on that) it's about positioning himself better and understanding just how much time and space he really has. He's shown he can make plays with limited time and space, but he's still finding that line of when to just make the quick play and when to utilize that time/space.

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
Roy's in his D+3 season and has 7 points in 17 games (.41 PPG) this year. He's starting to take a foothold on an NHL roster spot, and we can see clear flashes of skill.

Toffoli, who is similar in some ways as a player and one I'd also describe as complementary, didn't cement a spot in the NHL until his D+4 season where he scored 29 points in 62 games (.47 PPG). His game continued to grow from there, and he's at a career .64 PPG which is certainly a top 6 production level.

I think Roy is on a trajectory to be a decent second line player, but more as a complementary one like Toffoli. I'd like to see him play with a real play driver so his talents can be used more effectively. Maybe we'll see that with Dach next year.

Reactions: Redux91

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
He both compensates well for his pace and could really make use of an explosive first step.

Also nothing wrong if a few guys beat him out to play with Dach next year, good for him and the habs if he turns into a good 3rd line scoring winger that can play special units above Anderson and Gallagher… Could do way worse at 21 imo.

Matthew McConaughay

May 3, 2013
Roy's in his D+3 season and has 7 points in 17 games (.41 PPG) this year. He's starting to take a foothold on an NHL roster spot, and we can see clear flashes of skill.

Toffoli, who is similar in some ways as a player and one I'd also describe as complementary, didn't cement a spot in the NHL until his D+4 season where he scored 29 points in 62 games (.47 PPG). His game continued to grow from there, and he's at a career .64 PPG which is certainly a top 6 production level.

I think Roy is on a trajectory to be a decent second line player, but more as a complementary one like Toffoli. I'd like to see him play with a real play driver so his talents can be used more effectively. Maybe we'll see that with Dach next year.
How can a 70+ points player (Toff) be a decent second line player ? there's not a boat load of 70+ points players, can easily be a first line player.

Ligue

Sep 28, 2017
How can a 70+ points player (Toff) be a decent second line player ? there's not a boat load of 70+ points players, can easily be a first line player.
I feel like saying Toffoli is a 70+ pt player is like sayin RNH is a 100 pts player or Hyman a 50 goal scorer. Not something you would expect him to do year in year out without insane support.

Matthew McConaughay

May 3, 2013
I feel like saying Toffoli is a 70+ pt player is like sayin RNH is a 100 pts player or Hyman a 50 goal scorer. Not something you would expect him to do year in year out without insane support.
Well, last season he was, and this season, he won't be far, he's a 25-30 goals player, so good enough for a first line, Wawa has a higher hockey IQ than Toff.

Reactions: Toene

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
The older brother of a friend of mine is a Quebec-based scout for an Atlantic Division team (not the Habs) He had a cup of coffee in the NHL but was an offensively gifted player in the AHL back in the day. I asked him his assessment of Roy. His verdict was that he will top out as a career 4th liner or at least a career bottom six forward. Nothing special about him at all.

• Haha
Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The older brother of a friend of mine is a Quebec-based scout for an Atlantic Division team (not the Habs) He had a cup of coffee in the NHL but was an offensively gifted player in the AHL back in the day. I asked him his assessment of Roy. His verdict was that he will top out as a career 4th liner or at least a career bottom six forward. Nothing special about him at all.
Was your last line about the older brother of your friend as a scout or Roy as an NHLer?

Based on the evidence we've seen so far, it seems to be the former, and not the latter.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
He could be right but Roy seems pretty determined to be much more. Let's revisit 2 years from now.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Does he still have a job ? Idiotic statement.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Does he still have a job ? Idiotic statement.
Just because you disagree with his assessment doesn't make it an idiotic statement. I am not saying he is right but he probably saw him play 100 games or more.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Just because you disagree with his assessment doesn't make it an idiotic statement. I am not saying he is right but he probably saw him play 100 games or more.
Thats why the pro argument doesnt work. Most pros are just there because they know someone. They generally have no eye for talent no basic exercise science knowledge, no basic kinesiology knowledge, no psychology knowledge.

Reactions: bcv

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
The kind of incompetent scout that allowed Roy to fall at the end of the 5th round.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Roy should have been at least a second round pick. That's where very talented players with some question marks about them should be picked. The fact that he fell to the end of the 5th round is a clear example of group thinking based on false assumptions. I said it before, hockey people from Sherbrooke Phoenix had a better assessment of Roy than the whole NHL scouting community.

Six months before the draft they gave three first round picks and a second round pick to acquire Roy. You don't give that much for a player that will be drafted in the 5th round in the NHL six months later. Sherbrooke gave what is expected for a player that will be drafted in the first round in the NHL. In a similar trade Drummondville gave three 1st an two 2nd for Joe Veleno that ended up being drafted 30th overall by Detroit.

So again. Sherbrooke was right, and the whole NHL, including the Habs, were wrong. Proof of that, Audette and Boisvert went to Timmins at the beginning of the 5th round insisting he needed to take Roy, and Timmins took Sobolev before finally taking Roy. Proof that the league gave Roy to Montréal. Audette and Boisvert could not believe he was still there at #150.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I think this happens with experience/time, the NHL game is so quick that even when you have a high hockey IQ when you first get to the NHL it takes that extra half second to process the game and to understand exactly how much time and space you really have. Once you get used to the pace of the NHL game you can get back to anticipation game and as MSL says play in the future instead of the present.

Roy's success at the NHL level isn't about being quicker (Athough it will certainly help him and he should be working on that) it's about positioning himself better and understanding just how much time and space he really has. He's shown he can make plays with limited time and space, but he's still finding that line of when to just make the quick play and when to utilize that time/space.
He both compensates well for his pace and could really make use of an explosive first step.

Also nothing wrong if a few guys beat him out to play with Dach next year, good for him and the habs if he turns into a good 3rd line scoring winger that can play special units above Anderson and Gallagher… Could do way worse at 21 imo.
One thing that can be and should be worked on is that first step.
Like sprinters you can only go so fast once you are fully trained up but time can still be shaved with the initial step out of the blocks.
True some of it is simple reaction time but there is still a technique element involved.
Roy has decent reaction time in terms of what is going on around him so he just needs to work on the reflex reaction.
Fractions of seconds add up quickly.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
For me it's not about I want everyone on here to love all our prospects unconditionally.

I just don't get when people can't see pretty obvious upside in a player.

It's one thing to be like: "Roy has incredible tools. He absolutely crushed the Q and the WJCs. Huge talent. But I just feel his skating and effort are HUGE mountains that I don't think he can climb." I can respect that. I don't necessarily agree but at least that's an argument that takes in the prospect's strengths and weaknesses.

But when someone's just like: "Slaf's a third liner. Will be lucky if he gets 40 points." And that gambit's laid down like 'you're a Molson-worshipping cuck if you disagree' then it's a bit much lol. But even back it off a bit, when people were saying "Roy's a 3rd liner and/or "Slaf has a 60 point ceiling", I just don't know where they pull these takes from except the deeply wounded PTSD group think of this board. lol.

Roy might never get his skating up to par but on what planet does a kid with his skill and post-draft resume have a 3rd line ceiling? Sure he can fail. Plenty of our prospects have to put it mildly. But you have to do a bit of nuanced work and at least qualify upside vs. what the player will actually end up as.
People need to take a step back and look at some examples of other young players with decent talent quotient on our team.
I often see takes where it's a foregone conclusion that there will be little to no growth so what we see is what we will get.
I did it myself in Slaf's first season he demonstrated fairly weak play making ability and I assumed it didn't exist.
The fact that Roy is holding his own on a second line is very encouraging and like Suzuki and like Slaf he will continue to get better.

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
What big games is the team playing at this point in the season, exactly? The race to draft 14th overall?

With Monahan traded and Dach injured, Roy is one of the only players on the roster outside of the 1st line capable of generating any sort of intelligible aspect of offense.
Did you figure it out yet? lol

Shred

Nov 1, 2005
Making it look EASY. Looked the same as the many many goals he scored in junior.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad