Player Discussion Joshua Roy

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Scary to think how good this kid will be in a few years.

I don't think there's much doubt he'll eventually be a very good top 6 player, the question is really how good.

Prime Alex Tanguay, with perhaps more PK impact, seems like a not unreasonable comparison...

You think he can be a top 10 scorer in the league at some point ?

Reactions: Miller Time

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Hudon might be harsh. Maybe the Scherbak highway is better?

Well, whatever, my point is easily understandable.

Roy to me is a player who still plays the game in a juniorish fashion, who has dubious athleticism and im not sure about his commitment level.

Next training camp there will be Beck, Mesar pushing. Maybe we go on the trade market or sign someone and we probably draft top 15 this year.

Clock is ticking fast en criss for him.
Too early to bring back this beauty ? November 2023.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
You saw the shot he took 12 hours and 21 minutes ago and your conclusion was that you would come in here and post this ?
Completely disregarding my current opinion of Roy's potential - one shot doesn't make a career. Did you not see Pierre Dagenais' shot?

• Haha
Reactions: Habs and Redux91

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Completely disregarding my current opinion of Roy's potential - one shot doesn't make a career. Did you not see Pierre Dagenais' shot?
Thats true, if only Joshua Roy had any other good moment in that game... Like the three takeaways he had, the many good defensive play, on top of the whole goal that came from striping the 2020 Norris winner of the puck, a goal scored on a top 5 goalie in the league.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Thats true, if only Joshua Roy had any other good moment in that game... Like the three takeaways he had, the many good defensive play, on top of the whole goal that came from striping the 2020 Norris winner of the puck, a goal scored on a top 5 goalie in the league.

Roy seems to have a lot of detractors. Polarizing prospect in a sense.

I am not one of those people, I think he’s a Top-6 player for us for a long time.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Outside of his last season Dagnenais was a pretty average junior player. Was pretty average in his first AHL season too. In term of prospect quality there's no comparison between Roy and Dagenais.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
You saw the shot he took 12 hours and 21 minutes ago and your conclusion was that you would come in here and post this ?

Yeah for the same reason I didn’t label Cooley the second coming of Jesus when he scored in europe.

Roy seems to have a lot of detractors. Polarizing prospect in a sense.

I am not one of those people, I think he’s a Top-6 player for us for a long time.
I’m literally the only detractor in the last 10 pages if you want to call me that

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
We'll see what happens. He's only 12 games into his Winnipeg tenure. And, just before those 12 games, all teams except WPG refused to give up a 1st for him. He may go on a slump. WPG may get knocked out 1st round. We'll see.

But yes, I think it's highly, highly probable he'll get term and or AAV somewhere else that is beyond what Hughes is willing to pay.
It may start to be a trend. Sign with a bubble team. If the team goes to the playoffs, fine. If the team flames out get traded at the deadline. Rinse. Repeat.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
It's pretty funny how hard people go after any poster showing a hint of scepticism or showing a flaw. Lack of pace? That's unacceptable! Uncertain of his potential? Send the police!

If Roy didn't lack pace, he would be a star potential player. He may become a fine player without it, but it would still be better if he improved that. Stop the nonsense "he doesn't need it because he makes up for it with anticipation". Why not anticipate on top of playing with pace? Chester didn't imply he would never be an NHL player if he didn't.

It reminds me of when I was a Xhekaj basher a few weeks ago for not being happy with his indiscipline. Clearly I hated that guy.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
It's pretty funny how hard people go after any poster showing a hint of scepticism or showing a flaw. Lack of pace? That's unacceptable! Uncertain of his potential? Send the police!

If Roy didn't lack pace, he would be a star potential player. He may become a fine player without it, but it would still be better if he improved that. Stop the nonsense "he doesn't need it because he makes up for it with anticipation". Why not anticipate on top of playing with pace? Chester didn't imply he would never be an NHL player if he didn't.

It reminds me of when I was a Xhekaj basher a few weeks ago for not being happy with his indiscipline. Clearly I hated that guy.

Sam detractor MTL!

Fair enough lol

I see him as a top 9 guy unless his skating keeps getting better
His skating does need work, for sure.

I’m my assessment that he’s a top 6 player, his skating will have improved. Because your right, as of today it’s not good enough.

I think his age, his determination and intelligence will allow him to make the necessary adjustments to his skating over time.

Reactions: Sam de Mtl

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Josh Roy played a really good game last night. Seemed to have a breakthrough where he was engaged, noticeable and creating opportunities for himself. I see last nights game as a pivotal moment in his young career.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
Too early to bring back this beauty ? November 2023.
It was a bad take but you're probably the king of bold takes on these boards and you're not batting 1.000 either. Matter of fact no one is, so why even bring this up? Maybe we should look at your posts early this year about KK, just before he reverted back to his usual self?

Don't hate because he was right about Slaf and we were not.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
For me it's not about I want everyone on here to love all our prospects unconditionally.

I just don't get when people can't see pretty obvious upside in a player.

It's one thing to be like: "Roy has incredible tools. He absolutely crushed the Q and the WJCs. Huge talent. But I just feel his skating and effort are HUGE mountains that I don't think he can climb." I can respect that. I don't necessarily agree but at least that's an argument that takes in the prospect's strengths and weaknesses.

But when someone's just like: "Slaf's a third liner. Will be lucky if he gets 40 points." And that gambit's laid down like 'you're a Molson-worshipping cuck if you disagree' then it's a bit much lol. But even back it off a bit, when people were saying "Roy's a 3rd liner and/or "Slaf has a 60 point ceiling", I just don't know where they pull these takes from except the deeply wounded PTSD group think of this board. lol.

Roy might never get his skating up to par but on what planet does a kid with his skill and post-draft resume have a 3rd line ceiling? Sure he can fail. Plenty of our prospects have to put it mildly. But you have to do a bit of nuanced work and at least qualify upside vs. what the player will actually end up as.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004

I'm not the one who made the point about, checks notes, "the shot he took 12 hours and 21 minutes ago"
Outside of his last season Dagnenais was a pretty average junior player. Was pretty average in his first AHL season too. In term of prospect quality there's no comparison between Roy and Dagenais.
Never said there was.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It was a bad take but you're probably the king of bold takes on these boards and you're not batting 1.000 either. Matter of fact no one is, so why even bring this up? Maybe we should look at your posts early this year about KK, just before he reverted back to his usual self?

Don't hate because he was right about Slaf and we were not.
I hate because he hates, thats it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad