Recalled/Assigned: Joshua Roy Called up to Montréal

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
I'm not seeing right now with Roy, but I have no doubt he has tools. I'd like to see what he could do in the middle on the PP instead of Newhook.

Put Newhook on the right boards, in Slaf's spot, on PP2.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'm not seeing right now with Roy, but I have no doubt he has tools. I'd like to see what he could do in the middle on the PP instead of Newhook.

Put Newhook on the right boards, in Slaf's spot, on PP2.
or at least Roy should be on PP2

Reactions: MasterD

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I don't think he should be in the NHL right now and should stay down for the remainder of the season.

He's good enough for the NHL, but given the current state of the team and his usage he'd be better off playing more minutes in Laval. I fully expect him to be a fulltime player next season though.

I understand that MSL and the team need to show the illusion of trying to "make" the playoffs, but just plug Ylonen in there or pick up a vet off waivers/trade to fill in for the rest of the year.

Someone suggested in another thread to pick up Matthew Phillips and send Roy back down. Works for me.
No reasons for him to be playing 10 minutes with no center. Send him down or play him on the 2nd line with Newhook/Evans and Armia.

Crazy that Armia is our 8th best forward by a landslide.

Reactions: bopeep and Tuggy

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
He's a funny player. You hardly notice him and then all of a sudden he rifles a bullet off the crossbar or makes a really creative dangle. Some of his most interesting shifts last night were late 3rd period. Looking forward to seeing what he looks like next year.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I agree - Newhook is a winger not a C and without a proper C Roy should be sent down.
Maybe do
Roy-Evans-Armia as a 2nd line. Idk. I dont reallt care about who hes with as long as its with Evans/NH and he plays more than 12 minutes a game.

He's a funny player. You hardly notice him and then all of a sudden he rifles a bullet off the crossbar or makes a really creative dangle. Some of his most interesting shifts last night were late 3rd period. Looking forward to seeing what he looks like next year.
Hes gonna be insane once he starts playing with Dach. I think theres never been two players that fit together better than these two.

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
Hes gonna be insane once he starts playing with Dach. I think theres never been two players that fit together better than these two.
Yes I agree, I think he's going to mesh very well with Dach. I wonder if he'll ever become more noticeable in games, or if the reason he can be successful is because he can kind of fly under the radar until opportunity strikes. Some of the games of Kucherov I've watched he does that, you don't notice him all game and then all of a sudden he makes a brilliant play and reminds you why he's one of the best.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yes I agree, I think he's going to mesh very well with Dach. I wonder if he'll ever become more noticeable in games, or if the reason he can be successful is because he can kind of fly under the radar until opportunity strikes. Some of the games of Kucherov I've watched he does that, you don't notice him all game and then all of a sudden he makes a brilliant play and reminds you why he's one of the best.
Kucherov is a good example yes, although not to the same extent.

If you puck track, youll notice Josh once or twice a game, but if you track Roy, youll notice every thing he does is for a reason. He just understands the game in a freakishly good way and in the last 15ish months hes added in another dimension to this; board play.

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
Hopefully they can send him back down. I wanted him to get a full AHL season
9 NHL games is good enough for now. This is not a good situation for both Roy and Newhook. They should send Roy down and put Newhook back at wing next to Evans and Anderson.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Just gaining a lil NHL experience right now, it's just fine for now

There's always some knee jerk reactions from fans and posters sometimes as in "wtf why doesn't he have 5 goals 7 assists in his first 9 NHL games?? Guess he's not good, who looks good in the draft this year?"
Like... can we let him get to 100+ NHL games before labeling people busts?
Just once? Just one time I'd like to see harmonious patience with prospects lol

Right now Roy is experiencing what Slafkovsky was experiencing last year, get your feet wet, play with scrubs, try not to look TOO lost, soak in everything you can, go work even harder in the offseason for your potential next shot

I want him to go back to AHL to finish the year too, but I'll never be upset giving kids NHL reps in the meantime

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I don't think he should be in the NHL right now and should stay down for the remainder of the season.

He's good enough for the NHL, but given the current state of the team and his usage he'd be better off playing more minutes in Laval. I fully expect him to be a fulltime player next season though.

I understand that MSL and the team need to show the illusion of trying to "make" the playoffs, but just plug Ylonen in there or pick up a vet off waivers/trade to fill in for the rest of the year.

Someone suggested in another thread to pick up Matthew Phillips and send Roy back down. Works for me.

I tend to agree. I thought they would just dangle the carrot with his first callup but I don't think he gains much other than his wallet with the current state of the team.

I might sing a different tune if he was playing with dach or Monahan, but I don't know about this.

Reactions: Tuggy

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Interesting I didn't know that Roy was staying with Lafreniere. How does that work out if he is playing in Laval/Montreal.
Laf is from St-eustache (north shore)
It's only minutes from Laval ('on top of the island of MTL')

I can see how he might be staying at Lafs parents place or something over there and quick drive to Laval (and Montreal should you need to)

The similar way a lot of Habs players reside in Candiac (south shore) and drive into downtown MTL

Reactions: Kimota

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Laf is from St-eustache (north shore)
It's only minutes from Laval ('on top of the island of MTL')

I can see how he might be staying at Lafs parents place or something over there and quick drive to Laval (and Montreal should you need to)

The similar way a lot of Habs players reside in Candiac (south shore) and drive into downtown MTL

That's cool for Laf's parents. ah ha

Reactions: Redux91

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
No reasons for him to be playing 10 minutes with no center. Send him down or play him on the 2nd line with Newhook/Evans and Armia.

Crazy that Armia is our 8th best forward by a landslide.
I agree Roy playing with Newhook. It’s been a few games now that they look really good together

It will be interesting to see where he fits. Assuming the 1st line stays together, the 2nd line is shaping up to be Newhook - Dach and a 3rd wheel. I would think those two would most benefit from a player who can match their speed and also bring size. But maybe Roy's smarts complete them well.
Roy Iq and vision, as well as an underrated shot, would be a great fit with Newhook and Dach

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00