Confirmed with Link: Josh Leivo signs for a 1 year, 925k

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I really like Leivo but perhaps he is not as great of a skater as most of the others on the team, and especially some of the ones pushing from behind. So a sign and trade to a team who will oversee his lack of skating (not saying it is that bad either) but need a young, cheap goal scorer? Because goals, that he can score.

Otherwise, why take an extension now? Instead of testing free agency and perhaps get an even better deal?

Reactions: carko32

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
The Fourth Period :: Toronto Maple Leafs :: Leafs listening on Leivo

November 16, 2017 | 10:37am ET

Leafs listening on Leivo
TheFourthPeriod.com
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
The Toronto Maple Leafs are looking to strengthen their defensive corps and have been looking for a top-pair defenseman since the off-season.
Leafs GM Lou Lamoriello and his staff have been exploring the marketplace and have plenty of talent to part with if the right deal presented itself.
Among the players the Leafs are willing to move is forward Josh Leivo, whom the team is high on, but with limited space on the roster, his ice time has been nearly non-existent, having played in just five games so far this season.
Leivo, 24, could be packaged in a trade with other assets for help on the blueline, as the Leafs are looking for both a rugged blueliner and a puck-mover.
In the off-season, the Leafs were reportedly close to acquiring Tyson Barrie from the Colorado Avalanche, but the deal supposedly fell apart. It's unclear if the two teams have re-opened discussions.
The Leafs aren't the only team to have expressed interest in Barrie, as the Montreal Canadiens, Boston Bruins and San Jose Sharks have reportedly inquired in the past.
Toronto has also been linked to Anaheim Ducks blueliner Sami Vatanen and while the price tag would be much higher than Leivo, he could be added to a deal if the Ducks decide to move their defenseman for help up front, which they are actively searching for.

2 small offensive Dmen for the leafs? the exact opposite of what we need. Contrary to popular belief we don't need any old dman we need a dman that can PK and is solid defensively Vatanan and Barrie are not this

Reactions: Sonny21

Leaf of the Mind

BABS WAS BOB
Feb 6, 2015
Good sign. It would be disappointing if this was the roster we were stuck with for a while, we're winning but we're still not clicking for 60 minutes. Changes are coming.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
The @MapleLeafs announced today that the hockey club has agreed to terms with forward Josh Leivo on a one-year extension worth $925,000. #TMLtalk
— Leafs PR (@LeafsPR) November 17, 2017

Nothing significant - why 1 year, long like he is not the part of this team for very long

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
when it comes to cloning ill take 14 Auston Matthews as the first 14 clones off the shelf. Then id steal some dought/hedman/karlson DNA and make a sick hybrid and then make 7 copies

Or find the blue prints for Nicklas Lidstrom and just build a clone army.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
He'll still be in competition for a roster spot next season with Kapanen, Soshnikov and Johnsson all NHL ready. Still no guarantee he is a mainstay next year. My guess is he's a local kid who wants to stick around, and realizes he wouldn't necessarily be a full timer with another team.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
strange move by us

not a big deal since even worse case scenario next year we demote him and he either clears and comes off the cap or gets claimed but i have to wonder what's going on behind the scene

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
i dont know why people think its a sign and trade or one of the 3 pending ufa's are being traded. this deal was done so josh wouldn't elect free agency. he will be a regular nhler next year for the leafs

Reactions: Mork and ToneDog

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
He'll still be in competition for a roster spot next season with Kapanen, Soshnikov and Johnsson all NHL ready. Still no guarantee he is a mainstay next year. My guess is he's a local kid who wants to stick around, and realizes he wouldn't necessarily be a full timer with another team.

I doubt this, if that is the case then we shouldn't have signed him terrible attitude. The only reason he signed is because there is some guarantee he will be getting ice time either; he is getting traded, or someone else is getting traded he would of been far better off going to UFA and signing somewhere even for less money and playing and possibly turning that into a multi year contract at a couple of million per year

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I really like Leivo but perhaps he is not as great of a skater as most of the others on the team, and especially some of the ones pushing from behind. So a sign and trade to a team who will oversee his lack of skating (not saying it is that bad either) but need a young, cheap goal scorer? Because goals, that he can score.

Otherwise, why take an extension now? Instead of testing free agency and perhaps get an even better deal?
he wouldn't get a better deal in free agency. a guy with 19 pts in 46 games isn't worth much on the open market

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
i dont know why people think its a sign and trade or one of the 3 pending ufa's are being traded. this deal was done so josh wouldn't elect free agency. he will be a regular nhler next year for the leafs

the he and his agent aren't very smart. Kapanen, shosh, Grundstrom (played very well at camp) are all ahead IMO and that's 3 LW (kapanen can play LW). So no I don't think he will be a regular next year as of right now he would have to impress in camp like he was supposed to this year

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I doubt this, if that is the case then we shouldn't have signed him terrible attitude. The only reason he signed is because there is some guarantee he will be getting ice time either; he is getting traded, or someone else is getting traded he would of been far better off going to UFA and signing somewhere even for less money and playing and possibly turning that into a multi year contract at a couple of million per year
I think it's most likely he gets traded. With the winger depth we have, there's no guarantee he gets ice time

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
the he and his agent aren't very smart. Kapanen, shosh, Grundstrom (played very well at camp) are all ahead IMO and that's 3 LW (kapanen can play LW). So no I don't think he will be a regular next year as of right now he would have to impress in camp like he was supposed to this year
It's guaranteed money. When you've only played 46 games in 7 years, you take whatever you can and run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad