Player Discussion: Josh Ho-Sang

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
If JHS wanted out, it would be pretty simple to demand a trade.

What is the cut off point for waiver options? At some point JHS will be out of waiver options and the isles will have to a) put up with his growing pains at the nhl level or b) trade him.
believe he’s no longer waiver exempt next season

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
If JHS wanted out, it would be pretty simple to demand a trade.

What is the cut off point for waiver options? At some point JHS will be out of waiver options and the isles will have to a) put up with his growing pains at the nhl level or b) trade him.

Waivers FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

I'm assuming Ho-Sang signed when he was 18 or 19? In either case, I believe he's still waiver exempt until age 23 (5 years after signing at 18, or 4 years signing at 19).

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
I can't help but think the Isles would be in the playoff picture if he was in the lineup, it seemed this team turned for the worse once he was out of it, he was averaging about .5 points per game, how many f***ing 1 goal games has this team lost? his weak defense and his turnovers were highly overrated especially when seeing how awful this team is on defense and the turnovers without him

Reactions: YesCubed

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
When the Sedins struggled in their 1st couple of seasons as Canucks, Messier told them to just try to play their best in the way they are capable of playing, in another words playing to their strength and since then they had been steadily improving and eventually become stars in this league in their prime.

I think with skilled players you can't constrain their development too much by telling them to change their games entirely. They have been successful because they can do X. The things they can control is being more discipline like not taking bad penalties and standing around not checking other players or make too many blind or weak passes. The defensive side of games takes time to develop, especially for offensively gifted players who was relied upon to score back in junior. That is why either you draft all around talented prospects or if you instead draft an offensive talented player who loves to create, do not hold them back too much but try to reward them if try harder doing certain things that can help their game to be better all around. I remember that someone said that one can function best when he or she can neglect all the negative energy and focus solely on the positive thing because that is the only thing can propel one ahead and have peace in mind.

It is important to coach/teach and held players accountable without favoritism, but it is equally important to reward, encourage and make them feel positive. Not all people deal well with negative energies that well, especially those who are quite insecure or immature.

Reactions: YesCubed and dood

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
It's a good point about how many one goal games we lost and we sent a .5 PPG player down to the AHL. The guys who replaced him were just as bad, if not worse, in giving up shots (think of all of the 50 shot games the Isles gave up after JHS got sent down).

Sometimes in life there's justice though and Weight's complete mismanagement of this whole affair will be a factor in costing him his job, and his chance to coach an NHL team.

Reactions: YesCubed

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
So I've been reading through this thread because I like JHS but don't get to see him too much unless NYI are playing Philly or on national broadcast. It sounds like he's living up to his reputation, unfortunately (talent and all the rest). Do you guys think he's a guy that's going to get run out of town or will he adjust? Or will he go the way of a Nik Zherdev and just kind of phone it in for a few years then fade away?

Obviously I'd like him to be run out of town right to Philly, but he's a guy that I wouldn't mind having success on a rival team.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
So I've been reading through this thread because I like JHS but don't get to see him too much unless NYI are playing Philly or on national broadcast. It sounds like he's living up to his reputation, unfortunately (talent and all the rest). Do you guys think he's a guy that's going to get run out of town or will he adjust? Or will he go the way of a Nik Zherdev and just kind of phone it in for a few years then fade away?

Obviously I'd like him to be run out of town right to Philly, but he's a guy that I wouldn't mind having success on a rival team.
I am really curious. What possible reason would the NYI buy high on 22 yr old JHS and sell low to a Metro rival?

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I'm guessing that was more of a "Hey I like him and wouldn't mind him on my team" thing, rather than a formal trade inquiry requiring official explanations and rationale.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I am really curious. What possible reason would the NYI buy high on 22 yr old JHS and sell low to a Metro rival?
I'm not suggesting they will, only that I would be happy if they did. I'm not trying to fire anyone up here, I'm just curious what's going on with him. Like I said I don't watch the Isles a lot and every now and then I'll be just derping around and read an article or blog about how hesh either showing improvement of that the Isles should cut ties so I'm trying to get a perspective from a fan that actually watches the team.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012

I think he has that " it " factor and will be a good player at the NHL level. Just might not be here at the Ringling Brothers and Snowy and Weight Circus. I do predict he he will be sitting on our bench long after the Banana head is removed from standing behind it.
The Flyers do have 2 firsts though . I would pass on a mid / Late first for him . I think he is better than that . We have seen what he can do and I am a fan. Not that you would offer a first but you will not just steal him from us.
Cheers

Reactions: CREW99AW

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I think he has that " it " factor and will be a good player at the NHL level. Just might not be here at the Ringling Brothers and Snowy and Weight Circus. I do predict he he will be sitting on our bench long after the Banana head is removed from standing behind it.
The Flyers do have 2 firsts though . I would pass on a mid / Late first for him . I think he is better than that . We have seen what he can do and I am a fan. Not that you would offer a first but you will not just steal him from us.
Cheers
Again I must reiterate that I am not suggesting the Flyers will or should (or could) acquire him. I'm not trying to see what his value is or anything like that. I am a fan of his and I'm just trying to get the perspective of someone who actually watches him regularly or at least more than I have since he seems like he's having a tough time right now. Just curious if the fan base sees him as a guy that will A) turn it around, B) get run out of town, or C) just kind of fade away like a guy like Zherdev who had all the skill in the world but had a reputation similar to what Ho Sang has right now.

I only threw in the part about being happy if he was on the Flyers because I like the guy.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I think the Isles poor play situation and Ho-Sangs cloud over his head make this worse than it is.

On paper we see his good stats in the NHL, ok stats in the AHL but on the ice we saw how up and down he can be. He needs to learn to limit the mistakes and focus in more. Once he can engage more and limit the bad habits he's going to play 500 games in the show. I think it's with the Isles. He knows he has the talent to be in the NHL so he's frustrated for sure but you can't be trying to dance around in the D zone and lose it to the forechecker 2-3 times a game. You just can't do it.

So he will be going into next year having played two years in a row of 20 games but mostly AHL for different reasons. I think with a good offseason he can expect to be in for all 82 games. I don't think it's a Zherdev thing.

Oh and I think he's one of those players who produces more in the NHL over the AHL if you were wondering about his stats. Small, speedy playmaker needs guys like Ladd or Lee or Nelson, they have great shots or can finish well. Different than playing with Scott Eansor.

NewYorkIsles

Jun 30, 2012
Nassau County
I love ho-sang, and I do want him to be up in the NHL with the islanders right now. But if he was up we wouldn't be in the playoff picture still, we have good offense. It's our defense, he wouldn't solve it.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I'm stumped on why they haven't put JHS and MDC in the lineup at this point. Unless they think Fritz is somehow going to be a mainstay, they should shut down some of these fools to pretend injuries, like Ladd and call up and get a longer look at MDC at the very least.

On JHS, I pretty much think the ball is in his court. Management knows he has the skill, it's just a matter of if he will listen to coaches and play less risky and flashy game until he earns their trust. He hasn't done that yet. Even Barzal did it, don't know why JHS can't just play a system for a few months and then pick better times to take risks and prove to the coaches he can play in the NHL. It's on him.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I wouldn't want JHS on NYI. Doug Weight cheers when Andrew Ladd goes in deep and barely competes on a corner battle he loses 11/12 times. Adam Pelech. I mean, Adam Pelech ffs. Bad environment for a young player.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I wouldn't want JHS on NYI. Doug Weight cheers when Andrew Ladd goes in deep and barely competes on a corner battle he loses 11/12 times. Adam Pelech. I mean, Adam Pelech ffs. Bad environment for a young player.

What's your opinion on Pelech?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Ho-Sang upbeat about his chances with Islanders

Ho-Sang has one season remaining on his entry-level contract and wants to remain with the Islanders.

“I don’t want to go anywhere,” Ho-Sang said. “They’re nice to me. I just think the reality is stuff is going to happen and they’re going to put me on the team when they’re ready. I think when I’ve been on the team, I’ve had personal success along with the team having success. I think they know that and they’re just trying to figure it out. They’re good people. (GM) Garth Snow is a good man. (Coach) Doug Weight is a good man. I know they’re trying.”

islescoop

Jul 24, 2011
It's amazing how Barzal has turned out to be exactly what I (and many others on here) thought Ho -Sang was going to be this year...

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Ho-Sang has one season remaining on his entry-level contract and wants to remain with the Islanders.

“I don’t want to go anywhere,” Ho-Sang said. “They’re nice to me. I just think the reality is stuff is going to happen and they’re going to put me on the team when they’re ready. I think when I’ve been on the team, I’ve had personal success along with the team having success. I think they know that and they’re just trying to figure it out. They’re good people. (GM) Garth Snow is a good man. (Coach) Doug Weight is a good man. I know they’re trying.”

"How can you be mad at somebody who wants me to be great?"

Is a great line just before that.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte

Good to hear his attitude is still positive. Let's keep him as far away from Weight as we can. Keep him in Bridge this year and let's see what the new coach :) can do with him next season.

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
Slightly shady:
I think when I’ve been on the team, I’ve had personal success along with the team having success.

When I was on the Islanders, I played well and the team played well. When I'm not on the team?

If that's his subtext, he's not wrong.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I'm stumped on why they haven't put JHS and MDC in the lineup at this point. Unless they think Fritz is somehow going to be a mainstay, they should shut down some of these fools to pretend injuries, like Ladd and call up and get a longer look at MDC at the very least.
MDC is a bad AHL player. In an NHL game he would look like a newborn deer trying to stand up for the first time. Really there's only one thing you can do with the guy: call Chiarelli!

Reactions: PROMputt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad