Player Discussion: Josh Ho-Sang

Status
Not open for further replies.

C24

Jan 25, 2018
I was against the anti-Snow thing before the shutouts

where does it say you have to blindly support every move that person makes and it is do or die?

The idiotic "Snow Must Go" movement especially at this point in the year as the Islanders are fighting for a playoff spot, and they are hoping to re-sign JT and Snow was pretty much responsible for getting the Islanders Barzal is about the dumbest thing imaginable
Snow has had 12 years. Try dealing in reality.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
I hope Ho sang turns it around but just from his last interview I was not to encouraged. He seems to be sulking that he's back in the ahl.

Reactions: C24

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
Ye this kid is going to mentally check out. Tough love doesn't really work with the new age athlete.

I agree...which is why I think Garth should make a macaroni mural of Josh, so his parents can hang it on the fridge when he goes home for the summer.

He seems like a kid who needs to be coddled. I could imagine he’d actually absorb and process constructive criticism if coaches used an approach, for example, by saying, “Josh, you’re really great at X, but we really need you to improve with Y. We believe in you.” He’s certainly got the skill set, but I question his mental fortitude.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

I love how Ho-Sang is never at fault. This is all happening to him and there's nothing he can do to earn the right to be back in the NHL.

What next...? The "voices" told snow to draft Strome, Dal Colle, and trade Nino?

I guess since the owner won't hold the GM accountable that just filters down throughout the entire franchise down to us fans.

Reactions: Costigan77

C24

Jan 25, 2018
I love how Ho-Sang is never at fault. This is all happening to him and there's nothing he can do to earn the right to be back in the NHL.

What next...? The "voices" told snow to draft Strome, Dal Colle, and trade Nino?

I guess since the owner won't hold the GM accountable that just filters down throughout the entire franchise down to us fans.
I am not saying Josh is innocent but they are being heavy-handed with him. Snow seems to be a very spiteful person.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland

Playing on the fourth line in Bridgeport certainly won't help his development. I definitely blame Snow for what happened with Nino. Josh probably deserved to go down as he was a turn over machine and was staying out there to long on his shifts. The AHL is a league where you want your best talents playing and developing. If he refuses to listen to coaches then trade him. This was always the risk when they drafted Josh.

Reactions: Lek and C24

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

Potvin told a story recently about how Arbour would always get on his case in the room about mistakes during the game. That being said, when Potvin made a big mistake in the playoffs, Arbour let it go. He recently told this story during the intermission of a game.

Why do I say that? There is a time and a place to bury JHS and not allow him to play to his strengths. Wait.. What? How does this allow the player to DEVELOP? They are trying to make JHS grow up, rather than develop into a NHL player.

Basically, the way this team has chosen to develop JHS shows the incompetence of this staff.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I know I'm in the severe minority here, but from the moment he was drafted I looked at Ho-sang and felt like...Here's a guy who doesn't have the mental makeup to be a constant professional athlete.

There are probably a bunch of examples we don't know about, but we know enough that he has a checkered resume with unprofessional behavior that 99% of other professional hockey players do not have. One supreme example was when he overslept at the 2015 training camp. To me way too many people swept that under the rug and I was lambasted for coming down on a 19 year old when it felt like they weren't looking at the other side of the coin - How many other 19 year olds overslept in training camp when they are not only trying to make a team, but overcoming other instances that gave them a reputation of an immature/selfish player?

Even before he was drafted Ho-Sang claimed he was going to be the best player from his draft class. Confidence is wonderful, but I think Ho-sang is arrogant about his ability to think he can just rely on that and not hard work.

I also think fans here see his raw, get out out of your seat ability, and are seriously allured by that and as a result forgive other aspects to his game because of the excitement he brings. I believe there is a lot more going on that is not being reported about how Ho-Sang conducts himself, and I'll bet other players see him as a distraction and maybe not such a great teammate. If that is the case then there's no room for a player like that - Even on a struggling team.

Is there time for JHS to turn it around? Absolutely, but I don't think the Isles, or us fans, should count on him being an NHL regular at this point. I see this as being mostly, if not all, on him to meet the Isles at the table and with each week that passes I lose more and more faith that will ever happen.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Potvin told a story recently about how Arbour would always get on his case in the room about mistakes during the game. That being said, when Potvin made a big mistake in the playoffs, Arbour let it go. He recently told this story during the intermission of a game.

Why do I say that? There is a time and a place to bury JHS and not allow him to play to his strengths. Wait.. What? How does this allow the player to DEVELOP? They are trying to make JHS grow up, rather than develop into a NHL player.

Basically, the way this team has chosen to develop JHS shows the incompetence of this staff.
JHS is nowhere near the talent Potvin was. JHS had put up 1 point in the last 8 games before the 2/18 game in question here, so it seems like the issue is a lot more than him making the occasional mistake.

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
I know I'm in the severe minority here, but from the moment he was drafted I looked at Ho-sang and felt like...Here's a guy who doesn't have the mental makeup to be a constant professional athlete.

There are probably a bunch of examples we don't know about, but we know enough that he has a checkered resume with unprofessional behavior that 99% of other professional hockey players do not have. One supreme example was when he overslept at the 2015 training camp. To me way too many people swept that under the rug and I was lambasted for coming down on a 19 year old when it felt like they weren't looking at the other side of the coin - How many other 19 year olds overslept in training camp when they are not only trying to make a team, but overcoming other instances that gave them a reputation of an immature/selfish player?

Even before he was drafted Ho-Sang claimed he was going to be the best player from his draft class. Confidence is wonderful, but I think Ho-sang is arrogant about his ability to think he can just rely on that and not hard work.

I also think fans here see his raw, get out out of your seat ability, and are seriously allured by that and as a result forgive other aspects to his game because of the excitement he brings. I believe there is a lot more going on that is not being reported about how Ho-Sang conducts himself, and I'll bet other players see him as a distraction and maybe not such a great teammate. If that is the case then there's no room for a player like that - Even on a struggling team.

Is there time for JHS to turn it around? Absolutely, but I don't think the Isles, or us fans, should count on him being an NHL regular at this point. I see this as being mostly, if not all, on him to meet the Isles at the table and with each week that passes I lose more and more faith that will ever happen.

I thought it was a great pick...a very good gamble despite the warning signs. He certainly showed that he has the talent, but yes, not the mental make up. I truly think this kid is 90% responsible for making his own hell. Nearest comparison would be Beau, who certainly responded differently from his "loan" to the Bridge.

Hopefully they can still pull a rabbit out of a hat with this kid, though I think it more realistic to bring his marketability back up next year to where you can and trade him. I would think that some one will bite. See if you can pull something viable in exchange for him as I do not really see him being a viable long term asset as a player...certainly not at this point in this career.

Reactions: periferal

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
What I would like is for Ho-Sang to do what Beauvillier did when he was in Bridgeport: to be the best player on the ice. This not only allowed Beau to quickly return to the NHL, but also to have a real chance playing with better players and better ice time.

Ho-Sang should normally be inspired by it, but instead I have an impression (and I insist on that because obviously I have no proof) that he seems to sulk instead, a bit like Niederreiter a few seasons ago. Which might explain Thompson's comments when he says that Ho-Sang is like a baby.

Bexlyspeed

May 21, 2011
Astoria, Queens, N.Y
I don't think this regime is great at bringing along prospects, but you have to point the finger at Ho-Sang too.

he definitely is not doing the things that got him called up to the NHL in the first place. was his demotion un warranted?
I think his first one was, but the second one definitely was not.

Beauvillier was in the same boat remember and look at how he's responded.

management may not be good but you have to take charge of your life and career and sulking helps nobody.

as dumb as management is I don't think any of them wants to destroy a prospect on purpose.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
What I would like is for Ho-Sang to do what Beauvillier did when he was in Bridgeport: to be the best player on the ice. This not only allowed Beau to quickly return to the NHL, but also to have a real chance playing with better players and better ice time.

Ho-Sang should normally be inspired by it, but instead I have an impression (and I insist on that because obviously I have no proof) that he seems to sulk instead, a bit like Niederreiter a few seasons ago. Which might explain Thompson's comments when he says that Ho-Sang is like a baby.

Perfectly stated.

He strikes me as someone who is incredibly hard-headed, and doesn’t really want to listen to the coaches. Because he did well last year, and was putting up points this year, I think he believed he was much further along in his devolpment than he actually was

He’ll pretend that he’s listening and absorbing what the coaching staff is saying to him, but ultimately I think his attitude of “I’m putting up points, I’m doing my job, who cares about the mistakes?”, ends up driving the coaches, and teammates crazy. Then using whataboutism to compare himself to others making the same mistakes.

That being said, this organization is awful at developing high-end talent, and if a players talent isn’t painfully obvious like Barzal or Tavares, they hold them to a different standard.

I saw JT make plenty of boneheaded mistakes his first few years in the league, but they always gave him leeway. Meanwhile, any young player not named JT, gets virtually 0 leeway.

Reactions: xIsle

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

The baby comment was obviously meant as an age thing, not about his character. Context clues guys.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
JHS is nowhere near the talent Potvin was. JHS had put up 1 point in the last 8 games before the 2/18 game in question here, so it seems like the issue is a lot more than him making the occasional mistake.

The point I was trying to make was that there is a time and a place for everything. Every player reacts differently and I am not sure this is how to treat JHS. Only time will tell I guess.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
The baby comment was obviously meant as an age thing, not about his character. Context clues guys.
It's much more related to maturity than age in my opinion. And it's frankly rare that a coach uses the term "baby" to talk about a player.
And if Thompson was only referring to his age, it's not only a weak excuse (to explain his perhaps lack of maturity) but it's also a very funny expression to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->