Player Discussion: Josh Ho-Sang

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
From the same article, I thought this comment from JHS was the most intriguing:

"Ho-Sang assessed his play as “good,” while adding, “there’s stuff going on I can’t really say but I’m sure they’ll tell you at the end of the year.”

Hmmmm.

What does that even mean? Based on the way this kid's mind works, it almost sounds like "I think I've played well, but I'm sure the coaches will bitch about inconsequential stuff I did at the end of the year".

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I'm sorry you missed it.

Where was Chimera's demotion? Ladd? Prince? Quine?

Halak likely wouldn't have been sent down if Snow had sent down Berube in the first place. Beauvillier was also unfairly sent down, I think. He's playing next to a black hole of offense and was "struggling" just like everyone else placed on that line, except Ho-Sang, who was actually producing on that line.

I don't disagree that he's obviously struggled in Bridgeport since being sent down, but we also know he was producing at the NHL level before being sent down. We also know he did produce last season at the NHL level. We also know that he would've helped this team win more games than trotting Chimera out on a nightly basis.
And furthermore it’s likely Halak would not have been brought back from the AHL last year had Berube not shit the bed.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
From the same article, I thought this comment from JHS was the most intriguing:

"Ho-Sang assessed his play as “good,” while adding, “there’s stuff going on I can’t really say but I’m sure they’ll tell you at the end of the year.”

Hmmmm.

Ya I read that and thought the same thing. The whole JHS situation is bizarre. It seems like there is a piece missing from the story. It just makes no sense to banish this kid to AHL and never give him a second thought after he was productive all the while the team struggled soooo badly at a position we needed. Just doesn’t make sense. I would not be surprised if their was more to the story. He is literally playing on the 4th in the AHL while putting up better numbers in the NHL then half the team.

But then I remember Garth Snow and it kind of does make sense.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
Well with the possible Seattle expansion draft looming he is going to need someone to expose. How about MDC for Klefbom??? LOL

No, we'll need to use Seattle to unload bad contracts again.

Pick one:

- Andrew Ladd
- Cal Clutterbuck
- Posssibly Josh Bailey
- Possibly Brock Nelson (it would be such a Snow thing to do to offer him a huge contract after Tavares bolts)

Reactions: IODCPiper

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Ya I read that and thought the same thing. The whole JHS situation is bizarre. It seems like there is a piece missing from the story. It just makes no sense to banish this kid to AHL and never give him a second thought after he was productive all the while the team struggled soooo badly at a position we needed. Just doesn’t make sense. I would not be surprised if their was more to the story. He is literally playing on the 4th in the AHL while putting up better numbers in the NHL then half the team.

But then I remember Garth Snow and it kind of does make sense.
He's not playing on the 4th line. He did for a few games, but even then, BST runs all four lines evenly, so the 4th line is only one in name only.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
He's not playing on the 4th line. He did for a few games, but even then, BST runs all four lines evenly, so the 4th line is only one in name only.

Don’t give them excuses. He could be on the top line playing 20 a night and it still doesn’t make sense to bury him based on his play and team needs. They needed him as soon as the dropped him. The bottom 6 did nothing all season. The 2nd PP unit was bad too. All roles he would have helped fill

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I think many are looking at this the wrong way. I don't think for a second Ho-Sang was sent down because of his scoring or almost any other on-ice play. Sure he gave the puck a way a lot, but so has Tavares and Barzal. I just happen to think that there is nuance in hockey (and life) and that not all giveaways are the same.

That being said I am convinced the reason Ho-Sang was send to the AHL has something to do with the way he was conducting himself off ice - As a professional, with his coaches, teammates, etc. Something in that regard. The same way he alone was made to run the Coliseum stairs for missing practice while no one else was...Because everyone else was on time.

In that case it would explain why none of the other players were sent down. And it would also mean that he's not being 'unfairly punished," but rather that he, and he alone, is acting in such a way that does not meet the off-ice standards of being called up.

You know how bad I want snow gone so believe me I'm looking for a reason for Ho-Sang to be in the right on this, but I just don't see a kid who gets it yet...And unfortunately he may never.

What you're suggesting may or may not be true, it's purely speculation, and it's unfair to judge him on that as if it is a fact. Your using speculation to defend the actions of a terrible management staff because you don't think he "gets it." I couldn't care less whether or not he gets anything if he helps the team win.

Reactions: IODCPiper

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Don’t give them excuses. He could be on the top line playing 20 a night and it still doesn’t make sense to bury him based on his play and team needs. They needed him as soon as the dropped him. The bottom 6 did nothing all season. The 2nd PP unit was bad too. All roles he would have helped fill
It's not an excuse, as I didn't use it to excuse anything. I simply pointed out a factual error and corrected it. You're welcome to use the info however you like.

Last edited:
Reactions: dood and Helistin

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
What you're suggesting may or may not be true, it's purely speculation, and it's unfair to judge him on that as if it is a fact. Your using speculation to defend the actions of a terrible management staff because you don't think he "gets it." I couldn't care less whether or not he gets anything if he helps the team win.

Well there's been a bunch of smoke around fire from before he was drafted so certainly stands to reason there's been fire behind the scenes. I would love to hear what Ho-Sang's teammates would say about him behind closed doors.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
MDC is a bad AHL player. In an NHL game he would look like a newborn deer trying to stand up for the first time. Really there's only one thing you can do with the guy: call Chiarelli!

Except he didn't look that way in the NHL to me. He looked like any other rookie. I saw him gaining confidence every game, it just didn't last that long. He got limited minutes and only a few games, but I saw some potential there and he battled hahd at the least.

Reactions: IODCPiper and dood

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Except he didn't look that way in the NHL to me. He looked like any other rookie. I saw him gaining confidence every game, it just didn't last that long. He got limited minutes and only a few games, but I saw some potential there and he battled hahd at the least.

There must be more than what we saw on-ice, though his on-ice play was much worse than Barzal when it came to hogging the puck, forcing plays and turning the puck over. He also wasn't as good in maintaining puck possession in the corners and often would run out of stick-handling room and lose the puck. Both Barzal and Ho-Sang need to learn to play smarter but that takes time and NHL time more than AHL time.

I suspect something else is at play with Ho-Sang, as he alluded to in his last interview ("maybe they'll say after the season") - but it's hard to give him a pass, I don't think he's earned that.

I was hoping he'd be tearing up the AHL with his speed and vision but that's not happening either. He should be FAR better than Fritz and St. Denis, offensively, no?

Reactions: Instant

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY

Why? Are you aware of the situation? You are in the locker room? Pretty sure if he showed some personal responsibility the Islanders would have done everything to put him on the team

Reactions: dood

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Why? Are you aware of the situation? You are in the locker room? Pretty sure if he showed some personal responsibility the Islanders would have done everything to put him on the team

Yes. That’s what the first posts were about. There appears to be more to the story of JHS

YesCubed

Mar 2, 2015

why would you assume that about this team

YesCubed

Mar 2, 2015
Occam's razor

noun Oc·cam's razor \ ˈä-kəmz- \
variants: or less commonly Ockham's razor

The term Occam's razor refers to the philosophical idea or scientific principle that of any given set of explanations for an event occurring, it is most likely that the simplest one is the correct one.

the simplest answer is the isles have no idea how to develop players

That being said I am convinced the reason Ho-Sang was send to the AHL has something to do with the way he was conducting himself off ice - As a professional, with his coaches, teammates, etc. Something in that regard. The same way he alone was made to run the Coliseum stairs for missing practice while no one else was...Because everyone else was on time.

In that case it would explain why none of the other players were sent down. And it would also mean that he's not being 'unfairly punished," but rather that he, and he alone, is acting in such a way that does not meet the off-ice standards of being called up.

You know how bad I want snow gone so believe me I'm looking for a reason for Ho-Sang to be in the right on this, but I just don't see a kid who gets it yet...And unfortunately he may never.

yes... everyone else is making excuses (using reasoning the team has given us), not mr conjecture over here, though!

he "got it" enough to score at a 45 point pace while playing on the 3rd line

Last edited:

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
There must be more than what we saw on-ice, though his on-ice play was much worse than Barzal when it came to hogging the puck, forcing plays and turning the puck over. He also wasn't as good in maintaining puck possession in the corners and often would run out of stick-handling room and lose the puck. Both Barzal and Ho-Sang need to learn to play smarter but that takes time and NHL time more than AHL time.

I suspect something else is at play with Ho-Sang, as he alluded to in his last interview ("maybe they'll say after the season") - but it's hard to give him a pass, I don't think he's earned that.

I was hoping he'd be tearing up the AHL with his speed and vision but that's not happening either. He should be FAR better than Fritz and St. Denis, offensively, no?

Yeah...I mean if it's more important for the team to show they won't reward poor play with a trip to the NHL then I guess they've got to stay where they are. Guess it just adds to my frustration for the way this season has gone.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
the simplest answer is the isles have no idea how to develop players

yes... everyone else is making excuses (using reasoning the team has given us), not mr conjecture over here, though!

he "got it" enough to score at a 45 point pace while playing on the 3rd line

Based on all this then you should want to fire snow as much as anyone.

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
So why draft him if you are not going to Mould him?
Development by way of boot camp won’t work !
They need to find out what this kid responds to and
Mould him to be the player he can be. The boot camp
Way may break him and essentially ruin him as a player
And asset.

YesCubed

Mar 2, 2015
Based on all this then you should want to fire snow as much as anyone.

i do!

So why draft him if you are not going to Mould him?
Development by way of boot camp won’t work !
They need to find out what this kid responds to and
Mould him to be the player he can be. The boot camp
Way may break him and essentially ruin him as a player
And asset.

agreed 100%. if a player isn't responding, it's the coaches job to figure out what he does respond to

scott99

May 13, 2005
My guess is Ho-Sang will be traded at the draft. Probably for a 3rd round pick. Especially if the current brain trust stays (Snow/Weight).

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
My guess is Ho-Sang will be traded at the draft. Probably for a 3rd round pick. Especially if the current brain trust stays (Snow/Weight).
So they deal with the PR nonsense, put the efforts on and off the ice to develop him, put him in successful situations in the NHL and have a spot available for him next year (bye Fritz) and they're going to trade him for a third?

Let's no make those leaps. Snow and Weight suck, sure. But let's not get hysterical with it.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Wouldn't it be exactly the other way around? The if snow/Weight are here they will keep Ho-Sang for fear he will pan out somewhere else, and for such minimal trade return. A 3rd round pick gets you a Wagner.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
HoSang article by Staple on The Athletic today. Just some of it-

“I love those guys, I want to make that clear,” Ho-Sang said of his former Islanders teammates. “I know they’re working hard. But I got sent down for defense and what are they in goals against in the NHL? I only played (22) games up there this year. I don’t think it’s my fault. They really painted it like it was my fault at the beginning of the year and I didn’t like that.

NewYorkIsles

Jun 30, 2012
Nassau County
HoSang article by Staple on The Athletic today. Just some of it-

“I love those guys, I want to make that clear,” Ho-Sang said of his former Islanders teammates. “I know they’re working hard. But I got sent down for defense and what are they in goals against in the NHL? I only played (22) games up there this year. I don’t think it’s my fault. They really painted it like it was my fault at the beginning of the year and I didn’t like that.

To add on:

Islanders general manager Garth Snow, who has butted heads with Ho-Sang since Snow made the young man the 28th pick in the 2014 NHL Draft, said he “100 percent stands behind his coaches” when it came to the decisions to send Ho-Sang down twice this season and not bring him back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad