Recalled/Assigned: Josh Ho-Sang assigned to Bridgeport *Sent Down to BST 12/15*

YesCubed

Mar 2, 2015
At the time he was sent down, he wasn't producing in the NHL, though. His last 6 games prior to being sent to the AHL, he had zero points and was a -6 combined in those games.

If the only thing you bring to the table is offense, then you better be consistently producing offense to offset the turnovers and questionable play away from the puck. Ho-Sang wasn't doing that leading up to his demotion to the AHL.

playing with nelson and beau (before his resurgence) on the 3rd line. the bottom 6 probably has 6 points combined since he's been sent down.

he was producing. a sample size of 6 games is terrible.

YOUNG PLAYER ISN'T CONSISTENT MORE NEWS AT 11

On the subject of certain bottom sixers playing over Ho-Sang, one thing that needs to be kept in mind. Not all of them play the same position as Ho-Sang. Guys like Quine and Fritz play center, so they're not even competing with Ho-Sang for a spot in the lineup. And unless I'm mistaken, Chimera plays LW, which Ho-Sang can't.

So it's not quite as cut and dried as saying "Ho-Sang is better than Player X" when Player X plays a different position and role on the club. The NHL isn't like the video game where you can just plug in the guys with the best overall ratings, regardless of position or role, and succeed.

Ho-Sang doesn't play center or LW, and he doesn't PK. So any player currently on the roster who plays those positions or roles aren't even direct competition for him, and thus, whether or not he's "better" is irrelevant. So the only valid complaint should be against whoever is currently playing 3rd line RW right now. Because that player is the guy who is dressing instead of Ho-Sang.

fritz, quine, chimera all can't defend, pk or score. what role do they have besides filling out a roster? this is asinine.

I guess I just don't see him being the difference between making and not making the playoffs right now. So I'd rather they do the right thing for him longer term. Now what that should mean is that he strings together a handful of good games. And then they call him up. For that matter he should've already done it and we shouldn't be having this conversation since he'd have been on the 3rd line making the difference you think he can make.

Instead, he's got 1 goal and 3 assists in 12 games in the month of January in the AHL. Do you really call that up?

the difference being, JT is going to walk if they miss the playoffs this year. JHS can help them make the playoffs. but I understand if you want the franchise to step back 9 years just so we can teach JHS to be colin mcdonald.

his ahl point totals after he's been pulled in and out of the lineup, publicly called a baby by his head coach, and played on the 4th line means nothing to me.

How is how Ho-Sang was producing not relevant? The fact that he wasn't producing AND was a turnover machine/defensive liability is pretty relevant to the discussion about whether he should be playing.

Players like Ho-Sang (high risk, high reward) have to consistently produce in order to justify keeping them in the lineup. Ho-Sang wasn't producing at the time he got demoted. So he kind of made Weight/Snow's decision easy for them.

It would be one thing if he was producing like Barzal and still got sent down due to defense/turnovers/risky style of play. Then you'd have an argument for him. But when the guy was literally producing ZERO production, yet bleeding goals against, I don't see how that's irrelevant to whether or not he should be dressed?

these are dumb statements. JHS is a young player, who is putting up over a half a point a game ON THE 3RD LINE. players like quine, fritz and chimera are high risk, no reward. they suck and also bleed goals against. they offer nothing to the team. 6 games isn't a good sample size. ~50 games where chimera, fritz and quine STILL DON'T HAVE A COMBINED POINT TOTAL HIGHER THAN HO-SANG'S is.

barzal is a center and got a gift-wrapped spot on the 2nd line. he also struggled for 5 games (where he didn't put up a point) he should've been sent down right?

please leave you have no idea what you're talking about.

It's not really a "new one" at all. Teams will often call up guys based on the need at that moment, rather than just look to see who is currently leading their AHL team in scoring. For instance, if Cizikas goes down, chances are the first player called up will be whoever can handle Cizikas' role. They're not going to bring up the offense-only winger who can't play center to replace him, even if he's more talented than the guy who got called up instead..

"hmm what do we need, a flawed scorer or some random ahl scrubs who can't contribute to the team in any way. fritz come on up!"

This isn't something isolated to the Islanders. My Penguins sent Daniel Sprong down recently (similar to Ho-Sang in that he's an offensive winger who is suspect defensively) because they didn't have a spot for him in the top six. It didn't matter that he was "better" or more talented than guys they're playing on their 4th line currently. It's the fact that those guys fill roles Sprong can't (ie. PK, defensive line, take faceoffs, etc.).

who cares about the penguins? they have won cups in 2 straight years. the isles have won 1 playoff series in 25 years. they aren't comparable.

As for re-arranging the lineup to accommodate him, as I said above, maybe -- maybe -- they'd do that if Ho-Sang's production justified it. But when a guy is pointless in 6 games and is a major liability defensively/turnover-wise during that stretch, no sane coach is going to shuffle everyone else around just to fit him in. No coach, whether he be Weight, Babcock, Quenville, Sullivan, whoever, would do that if the kid isn't giving him a reason to do so (ie. producing).

you're right. the team should bend over backwards to accommodate players who have yet to outproduce JHS's NHL totals while he's been toiling in the AHL. Chimera, Fritz and Quine cannot be shuffled around for the likes of him

again barzal was pointless in the first 5 games of the season and he was never in any danger of being scratched. he even missed an empty net on a breakaway.

There's a difference between comparing the output of a player like Quine vs Ho Sang. Coach tells Quine what to do and the [lack of] results are because he ****ing sucks. Coach tells Ho Sang what to do and he just doesn't do it (or does his version of it). Regardless of the offensive results from Ho Sang, you can't have that on your team as it has reverberating effects on the rest of the team. How do you reel that player in when it is absolutely necessary in the 3rd period of a playoff game? How do you teach him good habits? How do you prepare his game once other coaches tune into what he does and we see less production and more consequences? Who else on the team maybe stops listening? Or maybe selectively listens? How long before the whole team tunes the coach out?

I also don't buy all the posts singling out the Isles as wanting to puff up their chest and treat him unfairly as some sort of vendetta or example. This has followed him on literally every team he's played for, be it the Isles, the Sound Tigers, in Juniors, on Team Canada, etc. The Isles franchise deserves every bit of scrutiny we give it in terms of how pitifully it's run, but I always remember this: If you are walking around one day and you run into an *******, well... you ran into an *******. If you are walking around every day and constantly run into *******s, maybe you are the *******.

i'm sure losing every game because half of the team is god-awful is doing wonders for the psyche of the team.

Reactions: Spybot, MJF and C24

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Maybe we should send down Brock Nelson to give the forwards some help down and Ho-Sang could have someone to pass to down there since he’s useless at the NHL level. Send Chimera down too. The Sound Tigers are also 1 point out of the last playoff spot and could use the help.
I'd be for sending Brock down if I didn't think he still had some trade value and would rather get something for him. Chimera can go down, don't care if we lose him for nothing, and I think he'd clear anyway.

Though, Scott Eansor, BST's top goal scorer, was down there for all 10 of those games.

Reactions: dood

YesCubed

Mar 2, 2015
anyone remember when halak had the gall to complain about carrying 3 goalies (something snow did before and it failed miserably then too)? haha then remember when berube was giving up 5 goals a night and greiss was being worked into the ground. laughing when i remember that halak was brought up with a month to go and went on a ridiculous tear because he was an nhl goalie and berube was not. guffawing that they missed the playoffs by a point because garth snow decided to be spiteful instead of managing his hockey team.

but no, this team is definitely not trying to teach JHS a lesson and spiting themselves to do it. no way, no how!

Reactions: C24

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Naturally this argument entirely depends on whether you think he's better than what we currently have on the roster. I do, you don't I guess.
Incorrect guess. I never compared JHS to what's at the bottom of our roster currently. It's not any kind of personal thing with JHS (I like his talent a lot) or endorsement of Tanner Fritz (for God's sake). All I really said was that JHS should actually PRODUCE in the minors before we talk about bringing him up. It's really as simple as that. With his talent he should be able to be at a point per game in the minors pretty easily. But he's not even at a half point per game since his demotion. Yes, he should be up in the NHL - I agree. But let's put the onus on him.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
I was back and forth. Either your so called point is irrelevant now. Because now the Isles are not even in the playoffs now and in jeopardy of losing their franchise player. Also MOST prospects do not turn out as good as Barzal has. Point is that the Isles have to make something happen NOW in the hope that JT stays. The future is always the brightest time has passed.
The point is not irrelevant. You're saying JHS should be up with the big club now no matter what, because he is better than players currently in our bottom 6. You're saying worry less about the future (JHS' development) than the present (making the playoffs and keeping JT happy - and IMO it's a big assumption that bringing JHS up now would accomplish either of those things). Trading Barzal for potentially 2 years of Duchene (before UFA) would have followed that same logic and was probably why you were "back and forth" about it.

Spybot

May 12, 2014
Incorrect guess. I never compared JHS to what's at the bottom of our roster currently. It's not any kind of personal thing with JHS (I like his talent a lot) or endorsement of Tanner Fritz (for God's sake). All I really said was that JHS should actually PRODUCE in the minors before we talk about bringing him up. It's really as simple as that. With his talent he should be able to be at a point per game in the minors pretty easily. But he's not even at a half point per game since his demotion. Yes, he should be up in the NHL - I agree. But let's put the onus on him.
I see. So what you're saying is that while you agree Hosang even now is better than Quine and Fritz, he's only slightly better and cannot make a difference as far as making the playoffs is concerned. I couldn't hope to understand which stats, which games you saw would lead you to that conclusion, but all right.

I wish we had the luxury to teach Hosang how to be a good soldier and make him grind it out in the AHL before we call him up. But the time is running out and I don't think that we do have that luxury. Since I think Hosang could make an impact Quine wouldn't dream of I don't care about teaching him these things (right now) and I don't care about the AHL, I only care about what I already know he can do in the NHL.

The point is not irrelevant. You're saying JHS should be up with the big club now no matter what, because he is better than players currently in our bottom 6. You're saying worry less about the future (JHS' development) than the present (making the playoffs and keeping JT happy - and IMO it's a big assumption that bringing JHS up now would accomplish either of those things). Trading Barzal for potentially 2 years of Duchene (before UFA) would have followed that same logic and was probably why you were "back and forth" about it.
Although you must admit there's a pretty massive difference between calling up a player who perhaps isn't finished developing just yet and trading away your best forward prospect. One can easily favor a move for the future in one case (Barzal) and a move for the present in the other one.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The trouble with what you're saying is that Fritz, Quine, Prince, et.al. are currently getting real minutes on the Islanders and not producing, and Ho-Sang has already produced in his short time with the Islanders. So while we're waiting for Ho-Sang to rack up points setting up Travis St Denis in the AHL we're losing games in the NHL.

Reactions: sabremike

C24

Jan 25, 2018
1. Yes, times are desperate. Bring the better player up.
2. Once again yes, the most important thing now is to get JT to stay here.
3. The future is always better is a losers logic. A proven failure when it comes to the Snow lead Islander. Enjoy!

C24

Jan 25, 2018
One post ago YOU said he should be up. Make up your mind. lol When JT walks you can cheer-lead the future is bright squad.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
As I've said, I'm not debating whether JHS should have been sent down in the first place, or whether he's better than Fritz, etc.. ALL I am saying is that when you send a 21 year old kid down to the minors and tell them they've got to fix some things and play better, and that kid does not produce, do you call him up anyway? And here we're talking about a kid with all the talent in the world, but whose obstacle to real NHL success seems to be accepting/processing [constructive] criticism from coaches and incorporating it into his game.

BTW, posing this as some kind of "recall JHS or miss the playoffs" scenario seems questionable. We have the worst team defense in the league by a pretty good margin, especially among the teams we need to beat out to make the playoffs. We've lost the last two games by a combined 9-1. Recalling JHS should not be at the top of Snow's to-do list to fix this team. Trading for a veteran #4 defenseman is what might make a difference. And a #3 center that JHS can actually play with when he gets recalled would be nice too. :laugh:

Re: JHS's status impacting JT's decision, do we know how JT really feels about JHS's demotion? Hasn't everyone played on a team in any sport with some guys who put up decent numbers but are an overall detriment to the team? I help out coaching a youth basketball team right now and there are two kids who are probably around #6 and #7 on the 10 player roster (pretty analogous to JHS). They put up decent numbers (again analogous to JHS). And, oh, whatever contributions they make statistically are far outweighed by them taking (and missing) too many shots, turning the ball over, not playing defense, etc.. The top players on the team are incredibly frustrated with them, but since everyone has to play and they won't listen to the coaches, there's not much anyone can do about it. And no one in the stands would know how the players feel about those kids. Just saying.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
BTW, posing this as some kind of "recall JHS or miss the playoffs" scenario seems questionable. We have the worst team defense in the league by a pretty good margin, especially among the teams we need to beat out to make the playoffs. We've lost the last two games by a combined 9-1. Recalling JHS should not be at the top of Snow's to-do list to fix this team. Trading for a veteran #4 defenseman is what might make a difference. And a #3 center that JHS can actually play with when he gets recalled would be nice too. :laugh:

There is no one move that Snow can make that will fix the defense. He has not made a mid season trade since Shane Prince nearly 2 years ago. Snow has only made in-house moves. Since every defenseman he could call up is already here. Snow's forward callups have been Bernier, Fritz and Johnston. Stephen Gionta has been hurt all year otherwise I'm sure he'd be up now. Do you want him to try Scott Eansor next?

It would be wonderful if Snow could fix everything in 1 week with a couple of phone calls to some other teams but he hasn't shown he's willing to do that. Given that, recalling JHS and Christopher Gibson should be Snow's next phone call.

Last edited:

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
Re: JHS's status impacting JT's decision, do we know how JT really feels about JHS's demotion? Hasn't everyone played on a team in any sport with some guys who put up decent numbers but are an overall detriment to the team? I help out coaching a youth basketball team right now and there are two kids who are probably around #6 and #7 on the 10 player roster (pretty analogous to JHS). They put up decent numbers (again analogous to JHS). And, oh, whatever contributions they make statistically are far outweighed by them taking (and missing) too many shots, turning the ball over, not playing defense, etc.. The top players on the team are incredibly frustrated with them, but since everyone has to play and they won't listen to the coaches, there's not much anyone can do about it. And no one in the stands would know how the players feel about those kids. Just saying.
I have a feeling that Tavares is ok with him. He specifically mentioned 5 names – Barzal, Beau, Ho-Sang, Pulock, and (later) Aho – as part of "bright future". Does it mean anything? Most probably not, I don't know, but it seems Ho-Sang is not a locker-room issue.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
I have a feeling that Tavares is ok with him. He specifically mentioned 5 names – Barzal, Beau, Ho-Sang, Pulock, and (later) Aho – as part of "bright future". Does it mean anything? Most probably not, I don't know, but it seems Ho-Sang is not a locker-room issue.

I doubt he is a locker room problem but I also doubt Tavares would ever say anything bad about anyone publicly. It's not his style.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Saturdays game is huge. If they lose that game and call up Ho-Sang the next day, how stupid would that make them look?

A) pretty stupid...and desperate
B) not stupid at all, they know what's best
C) WTF! He needs to stay in the minors and develop!

C24

Jan 25, 2018
Saturdays game is huge. If they lose that game and call up Ho-Sang the next day, how stupid would that make them look?

A) pretty stupid...and desperate
B) not stupid at all, they know what's best
C) WTF! He needs to stay in the minors and develop!
A.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Criminal that JHS hasn't been called up. His energy and scoring ability could spark this team.

Snow has committed many crimes in the personnel management arena. It's pathetic people can actually defend the decision to bury him in the minors while we ice journeymen and pu$$!es every night!

This is the same GM that carried 3 goaltenders for over a season and the same guy who buried Nino in the minors. They need to shit or get off the pot with JHS, this tough love schtik is getting old fast while the season crumbles to dust.

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
Any Isles fan that defends Snow is a flat out moron. B.D. Gallof and the rest of his supporters are the worst.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
JHS’ numbers are not what you want from a 2nd year pro trying toque his way to the NHL. Imho he should be nearly at a PPG pace.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
It's not his talent or the fact that he (JHS) can't score points...

The problem is that he doesn't listen.

The smart kid in the class that throws paper airplanes at other kids...disrupting the class. That's the easiest way to put it.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland

Great setup by Josh. Had a couple of other setups for great chances that didn't lead to goals from what i saw in the highlights. I would like to see him on a line with Nelson and Ladd. I doubt you will see Josh this season again though when there calling up everyone besides him up. Must be something there between Josh and management. Im guessing Josh beats to his own drum and doesn't listen to the coaching staff.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
JHS’ numbers are not what you want from a 2nd year pro trying toque his way to the NHL. Imho he should be nearly at a PPG pace.

maybe some players just have in them when they are in the "show" rather than toiling in the minors, you think Tanner Fritz and his PPG ratio of 0.00 in his 11 games is a better option on offense than Ho-Sang since Fritz was the Sound Tigers leading scorer?

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
It's not his talent or the fact that he (JHS) can't score points...

The problem is that he doesn't listen.

The smart kid in the class that throws paper airplanes at other kids...disrupting the class. That's the easiest way to put it.

listen to what? so if he is definitely going to make the team better we are punishing him because he is not listening to the coaching staff? and what does the coaching staff and our NHL leading Shots Against have to say on anyone and their supposed defensive game as a weakness, it is obvious our coaching staff is failing in that department, we should be asking Ho-Sang why he is not listening and what is his suggestions for making the team better in that area

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad