Injury Report: Josh Harding Injured (9/16)

Screaming Buffalo

Oct 19, 2010
MN
Russo was on Wild Live pregame and was talking about our goalie situation. He mentioned how Backstrom was a question mark as a backup and we might need to address the need at the deadline. He said nothing about Harding. Literally didn't even say his name. Think he knows something more? Otherwise wouldn't he have mentioned him as at least a question mark? Hope I'm wrong.

Screaming Buffalo

Oct 19, 2010
MN
That's probably the most irrelevant info ever, but I noticed that Harding (@HardingsHope) followed Russo today.

How is it irrelevant? You would think the goalie who played most of the season for us would come up in a conversation about our goalie situation going forward.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Last year it took Josh 2-2.5 months to sort out his meds. He's been gone for about 6 weeks now.

While true, I wouldn't be shocked if he announced his retirement either. Not saying that is what I want, but I just wouldn't be shocked

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
While true, I wouldn't be shocked if he announced his retirement either. Not saying that is what I want, but I just wouldn't be shocked

Wouldn't shock me either. However, we may need to count him out for at least this season.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Wouldn't shock me either. However, we may need to count him out for at least this season.

And if that is the case, then what does the team do moving forward? You cannot bank on him playing even part time next year then. Let alone being a consistent backup then for Darcy if it is dependent on his health. So they either need to bring someone in to fill that void or Gus needs to be ready to come up next year for at least 50% of the season. Is he ready for that?

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
And if that is the case, then what does the team do moving forward? You cannot bank on him playing even part time next year then. Let alone being a consistent backup then for Darcy if it is dependent on his health. So they either need to bring someone in to fill that void or Gus needs to be ready to come up next year for at least 50% of the season. Is he ready for that?

True. In that case the only choices are to hope a young goalie who apparently can't catch anything in an NHL practice at the moment to be a decent backup or to keep Bäckström and pray he stays healthy and somewhat decent or LTIR Harding if he chooses not to retire and bring in someone else entirely. The team just can't buy out a Masterton winner. We're in a tough spot here. Personally I don't think we can count on a Kuemper/Gustafsson duo next season.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
True. In that case the only choices are to hope a young goalie who apparently can't catch anything in an NHL practice at the moment to be a decent backup or to keep Bäckström and pray he stays healthy and somewhat decent or LTIR Harding if he chooses not to retire and bring in someone else entirely. The team just can't buy out a Masterton winner. We're in a tough spot here. Personally I don't think we can count on a Kuemper/Gustafsson duo next season.
Backstrom's contract is a bigger problem for the team than Harding's. Backstrom is done, but his contract is too big to be a back-up, and he's not going to retire.

If the Wild could off-load Backstrom, they could sign a UFA, use Harding as a back-up next year, and then call up Kuemper if/when Harding has med issues again.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Also i know this is probably common opinion among these boards by now, but a close buddy of mine who manages the Jamba Juice in Edina has Harding as A regular all the the time. Hes seen him every other few days since day 1 of diagnosis.

From what he tells me, Hes struggling compared to when he was riding on cloud 9 as our #1 like smiling enjoying everyday like a normal person, to Like Dropping his phone on the ground and can't reach down to grab it without help. Very Likely retirement is on the horizon.

My guess is his med change that "needed" to happen was a high probability to end his career and he prolonged it as long as possible. Now hes seeing the ugly side of his Disease and there is no telling if if his condition will get better at this point

Last edited:

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Also said before this recent change, his doctor's switched his med's 3 times and had really no clue what would work for him. Just goes to show how ugly his condition is, and such minimal and random treatments.

it really makes me sad, hes always been such a stand up, honest, hardworking, and great player. I really, really, reallllllllly, hope he gets the chance to prolong his career to the very bittersweet end, there is no question if he's earned that imo.

my girlfriend brokeout in tears when she heard my friend tell us that tonight. shes a recent hockey fan, and Harding was her first choice favorite when i told her about his story.

I BELIEVE IN YOU JOSH! NEVER GIVE UP!

Foxlockbox

:laugh: is my period
Mar 22, 2011
Finland
Jesus how ****ing sad. Thats all I can say. Wish you all the best Harding.

edit: gr1Ng or mods apparently deleted his posts about Harding do whatever you want with this post because now its out of context

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Yeah, last two posts on previous page. They haven't gone anywhere.

That was a heartbreaking read though. Stay strong, Josh. I know you will not see this, but stay strong. We love ya.

Harvest

Nov 21, 2013
I don't know, maybe it's just me, but what annoys me is that when people are talking about "likely retirement" and stuff like that. We don't know how he is next season and beyond that.

IMO we should just wait and see and not make any long distance conclusions..

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I don't know, maybe it's just me, but what annoys me is that when people are talking about "likely retirement" and stuff like that. We don't know how he is next season and beyond that.

IMO we should just wait and see and not make any long distance conclusions..

He's not retiring... It makes no sense for him to do so. I could see him going on LTIR, though.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
I guess the word Retire was a poor choice cause i agree, it doesn't make sense for him to retire when he could very well play again. Not to mention why walk away from free money? I'm sure the Wild Org. is more than happy to do that for Josh.

It just seems unlikely that he will suit up again is what i'm trying to get at, But we've seen great things happen to people in seemingly impossible to overcome circumstances, i have faith that Harding can be another one of those great stories.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
I guess the word Retire was a poor choice cause i agree, it doesn't make sense for him to retire when he could very well play again. Not to mention why walk away from free money? I'm sure the Wild Org. is more than happy to do that for Josh.

It just seems unlikely that he will suit up again is what i'm trying to get at, But we've seen great things happen to people in seemingly impossible to overcome circumstances, i have faith that Harding can be another one of those great stories.

He is already a great story of what courage and determination combined with talent can do. He fought the odds this season and was the best goaltender of the league and a Vezina candidate before December. That's something that shouldn't be taken lightly. Can he come back? It depends. I'm sure he wants to, and he is working hard in order to do so. Is it likely? Perhaps not. As I said, it depends on various things but in my mind, Josh Harding is already a hero, even if he never laces up his skates again.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Masterton is probably least of his concerns right now.

Hopefully they can get his medication sorted out so that he can live his life normally. At this point, who cares about hockey. Maybe the mental and physical stress is too much for him. Let him keep the money and if he wants to stay in Minnesota, find him a job with the organization. Dude is about as good as it gets.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Josh Harding back at the rink, back on the ice

Harding, who hasn’t started since Dec. 31 because of the effects of multiple sclerosis, has been feeling much better in recent days.

“I saw him this morning, and I can’t say that I have a plan right now,” coach Mike Yeo said. “The first step was just to see him at the rink and I know he was here last game and I had heard how much better he was doing. And when I got a chance to talk to him this morning, you could see it. You could see it in his face, you could see the relief. You could just see he’s in a much better place right now. I think it’s great. It’s great to have him around. The next step is getting him on the ice and talk more about what the plan is. We haven’t discussed that.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/249504921.html

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad