Injury Report: Josh Harding Injured (9/16)

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
looks like he's regressed. I dunno guys. he may be out for a long time here..

it's a damn shame.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Seriously, the guy gets diagnosed with MS last season, misses a lot of time, then makes a comeback and plays really well in the playoffs against a stacked Chicago team. Keeps training hard in the summer, becomes a bona fide Vezina candidate in the first half and then - boom - minor adjustment turns into a major problem. Josh just can't catch a break, it seems.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
And the elephant in the room is that can the Wild afford to keep him on the roster after this season if they can't count on him to be available when needed? We're all pulling for him and wish him the very best, but this scenario can't continue to play out the way it is currently.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
And the elephant in the room is that can the Wild afford to keep him on the roster after this season if they can't count on him to be available when needed? We're all pulling for him and wish him the very best, but this scenario can't continue to play out the way it is currently.

Yeah... the way I see it we have Kuemper as our backup next season and we bring in a veteran to start for a few seasons until Kuemper is ready for full time starting duties.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Wonder what happens to Bäckström after this season if he can't stay healthy.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
real question is backstroms "abdominal stiffness" the reason hes had such a dramatic drop in play? if not, he needs to be bought out or do this franchise a favor and retire.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
If Bäcks retires, what does that mean for his cap hit/contract?

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
real question is backstroms "abdominal stiffness" the reason hes had such a dramatic drop in play? if not, he needs to be bought out or do this franchise a favor and retire.

Pretty sure if he retires were stuck with his full cap hit for the remaining duration of his contract because of that 35+ rule.

The only way we get rid of some or all of his cap hit is if we can move him to another team or use a standard buyout on him during the buyout window.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012

Yep. I wish him the best, but unless he chooses to retire I'm not sure if he has a future with the Wild. Our goaltending situation is a circus.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Honestly...it's like the Wild need two new goalies this summer.

Maybe Kuemper is ready for the big time, but they can't have this kind of issue going on.

Feel so bad for Harding. I really hope it's just "not 100% ready to play sports at an elite level" vs something more serious.

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012

I know it. Even when he was playing amazingly I'll admit that I was secretly scared of when it was going to come to an end and the poor guy would have another flare up. :( Without Josh totally reliable, we absolutely need to make plans.

I think Avder is right and Kuemper will be our backup while bringing in a veteran goalie to start for a couple years.

J22*

Pretty sure if he retires were stuck with his full cap hit for the remaining duration of his contract because of that 35+ rule.

The only way we get rid of some or all of his cap hit is if we can move him to another team or use a standard buyout on him during the buyout window.

Backstrom wont retire. If he does everybody loses, Backstrom doesnt get paid, and the Wild are on the hook for the cap hit.

Backs will either-
Play out his contract
Be bought out
Be put on LTIR for the remainder of the year/contract.

LTIR is the one option where just about everybody wins. Backs still gets his money and the Wild are not on the hook for any of his cap.
Of course, for this to work, Backstrom has to be willing to hang'em up and Leipold has to be willing to pay a guy to go home.

Sportsfan1

Jun 9, 2012
State of Hockey
My re-action to Harding and our whole goaltending situation:
cubicleman.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I'd bet that Backstrom has been injured all season, but who knows.

This. People need to stop freaking out over Backstrom. He was improving his play until Kuemper became the hot hand. Was it not Backstrom who under a year ago stole us a playoff spot? :laugh: We have 3 goalie options for next year (not including FA signings) in Harding, Backstrom, and Kuemper. ONE of them has to be the hot hand at any given moment. Harding sounds like he is just adjusting to medical treatment (just my opinion, not fact), Backstrom looks like he is playing injured, and Kuemper has been beasting it up. The same thing has happened this year: Harding comes out with the hot hand after Backstrom is injured, Kuemper plays like crap at Toronto (what was it? like 3 goals in 5 shots?), Harding leaves the team for a meds change and Backstrom plays well enough, now Kuemper is the hot hand. The question is, who will be the hot hand when Kuemper goes cold? My gut says Harding will be back and will need a few weeks to be caught up to speed. So that leaves Backstrom.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
What good is a goalie when he's injured all the time?

Assuming you are talking about Backstrom, so he's had a couple injuries this year. He played pretty well before his latest injury. What if the Penguins traded Crosby after his concussion(s)? I know it's an extreme example but still. Also Kuemper has taken over and done pretty well so we don't really need to worry about Backstrom right now.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
You're going to compare the best player in the world at age 23 vs a declining goaltender at age 35?

Who are you to say Backstrom can't play next year at the level he played at last year? :laugh: Injuries can end a career, doesn't matter if you are the best player in the world at 23 or a 35 year old goaltender. What I'm saying is you shouldn't base some things off of one year. I believe Backstrom can play at a very good level next year, especially if he splits time with Harding and Kuemps.

PredsFanFromla

Jul 10, 2010
louisiana
Josh Harding

Hey,Guys,I would like to share with y'all guys what y'alls goalie josh harding has done for our minor hockey team's MS Awareness Night tonight:

Tonight We are hosting MS Night,the players will special jerseys that will look like this
72881_699709436729512_1927304312_n.jpg
,they will be autioned off during the game and after the game.

Here is what y'alls goalie did:
MINNESOTA WILD GOALTENDER HARDING DONATES JERSEY

The NHL’s Minnesota Wild Goaltender Josh Harding has donated a Minnesota Wild jersey for tonight’s auction. The jersey is autographed by him and has his name and number on it.

Harding was diagnosed in October of 2012 with Multiple Sclerosis. He has since began his own charity called Harding's Hope which raises funds to “support those living with MS.”

Josh is currently the #1 goal tender in goals against average(GAA). He has three shutouts this year. He ranks 2nd in save percentages(Pct.). This has been a great season for the 29 year old, who already has more wins this season then he has had in any other season.

During the IceGators 2004-2005 season, the Regina, Saskatchewan native, suited up for an IceGators game as the backup goal tender while playing for the Houston Aeros of the American Hockey League.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad