Confirmed with Link: Jordan Leopold to Blues for draft picks

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
The Leopold move underscores how much they need even the two dates of home playoff revenue. A 2d and a 5th for two home playoff games in a 4/5 game series with the Hawks? They have to do it if having him helps them get there.

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010
Buffalo fans sound like they think they got the better in this trade, how is that?

Because Leopold is not very good. Seems like a move just to make a move to be honest. I think it's a token move to be honest just to try to show the fans he did something.

Stillman is not a very impressive owner this far.

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
I remember all the debate about a crease-clearer. The Crease-Clearer Caucus will HATE this move.

I don't hate it, just wish we got a tough defensive d man that's all. I think a good d should be balanced. The Blues have too many puck moving, stick checking guys to match up to teams like LA, Chicago, or even still Det.

Petro- not very physical
Shatty- same
Redden- same
Russell- same
Jackman- like his physical play this yr
Polak- needs to use his strength more to his advantage
Cole- could become one, but too much inconsistency

I don't know how many times this yr our D has been boxed out, causing the goalie to be screened or trash goal scored. I agree give me a guy like Gio and watch our defense make a complete 180 from the crap they are playing now.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I don't hate it, just wish we got a tough defensive d man that's all. I think a good d should be balanced. The Blues have too many puck moving, stick checking guys to match up to teams like LA, Chicago, or even still Det.

Petro- not very physical
Shatty- same
Redden- same
Russell- same
Jackman- like his physical play this yr
Polak- needs to use his strength more to his advantage
Cole- could become one, but too much inconsistency

I don't know how many times this yr our D has been boxed out, causing the goalie to be screened or trash goal scored. I agree give me a guy like Gio and watch our defense make a complete 180 from the crap they are playing now.
Agreed. I'm okay with Leopold for now, however if this is it I will be disappointed. They still need to make another move for an upgrade here. Too much quantity, not enough quality of what we need.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
I'll be pretty surprised if there's another deal. I think there's an 80-90% chance this is it.

If there is a deal I suspect it'll be a much stronger defenseman and it'll be on the order of Cole/Russell + 1st/Rattie/Schmaltz for said defenseman.

pricer502

Jun 3, 2011
Kansas City
I'll be pretty surprised if there's another deal. I think there's an 80-90% chance this is it.

If there is a deal I suspect it'll be a much stronger defenseman and it'll be on the order of Cole/Russell + 1st/Rattie/Schmaltz for said defenseman.

I don't think this is it. There is no way Armstrong is thinking to himself that Leopold is the answer to our D and this move will put us over the hump. There has to be another move on the way IMO. I think the options were to stand pat and if we make playoffs great if not then build for next year, or go all in and make the moves neccessary to make a run at it. A half ass move like this doesn't really seem to align with either strategy. I would go the opposite route and say there's an 90% chance another move is on the way.

ExJbeck

Jul 29, 2012

This gets my stamp of approval.

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
I don't think this is it. There is no way Armstrong is thinking to himself that Leopold is the answer to our D and this move will put us over the hump. There has to be another move on the way IMO. I think the options were to stand pat and if we make playoffs great if not then build for next year, or go all in and make the moves neccessary to make a run at it. A half ass move like this doesn't really seem to align with either strategy. I would go the opposite route and say there's an 90% chance another move is on the way.

I disagree, Armstrong has been looking to improve the d all season, hell last offseason. He knows what's available and at what price. If he believed this team could go deep ( help the owners money problem) he would have went for a bigger impact trade and used more assets to do it. The problem is, the Blues have no money.We will be lucky to keep our young core hench the reason why we added a rental instead of a guy locked up for multiple yrs. he's hoping this move can help us make the playoffs, get so e money to the owners, and start working out how to give pay raises to Shatty, Petro, Stewart, etc, etc. I'm not sure if he can even get the money to keep what we have now....

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands

What deal are you 90% certain will happen?

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Obviously I don't have that answer.....Just an educated guess based on the circumstances and the recent move for Leopold

I don't mean which specific player, more like, what's an example of the sort of impact guy for whom you're almost certain the Blues will trade in the next few days?

ExJbeck

Jul 29, 2012
Obviously I don't have that answer.....Just an educated guess based on the circumstances and the recent move for Leopold
The market for the kind of upgrade the Blues need to be making does not exist right now. Also it most likely would not be worth the investment to get the upgrade. We are not an organization that is equipped to out bid other organizations that our looking for the same upgrades.

pricer502

Jun 3, 2011
Kansas City
I don't mean which specific player, more like, what's an example of the sort of impact guy for whom you're almost certain the Blues will trade in the next few days?

People that say the market isn' there for the type of move the blues need are clueless. We are not involved in any GM meetings nor do we know who is actually available. In most cases teams keep that stuff very confidential. You also have to take anything GM's say publicly with a grain of salt as Pocket pointed out ealrier, Armstorng totally contradicted himself. We also have no idea what the Blues can afford, it's all speculation at this point. As for what type of move i expect to made, we have so many holes its so unpredictable. But as I mentioned earlier, I think Giordano should be our target. I would offer something around Bergy and Cole for Gio. I also wouldn't be suprised to see a move for a top 6 forward who can put the puck in the net. I feel like all of our current forwards are expendable. We have no real differnce makers on our roster, you could basically just draw names out of a hat to make up our lines because there isn't much skill differnece among our top 9. Tarasenko seems to be the only legit playmaker, seems like everytime he touches the puck or shoots something good happens but he only plays 12 min a game.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
People that say the market isn' there for the type of move the blues need are clueless. We are not involved in any GM meetings nor do we know who is actually available. In most cases teams keep that stuff very confidential. You also have to take anything GM's say publicly with a grain of salt as Pocket pointed out ealrier, Armstorng totally contradicted himself. We also have no idea what the Blues can afford, it's all speculation at this point. As for what type of move i expect to made, we have so many holes its so unpredictable. But as I mentioned earlier, I think Giordano should be our target. I would offer something around Bergy and Cole for Gio. I also wouldn't be suprised to see a move for a top 6 forward who can put the puck in the net. I feel like all of our current forwards are expendable. We have no real differnce makers on our roster, you could basically just draw names out of a hat to make up our lines because there isn't much skill differnece among our top 9. Tarasenko seems to be the only legit playmaker, seems like everytime he touches the puck or shoots something good happens but he only plays 12 min a game.

I understand the argument. Armstrong did completely contradict himself, there's no way around that, so it's hard to believe what he says.

I'm a fan of acquiring Giordano as most know, but I highly doubt they trade Berglund heading into the playoffs without getting another center. Fill a hole, create a hole. Doesn't really help. Giordano for Rattie + Cole is a much bigger impact move.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I really feel the Blues still need to get a shut-down defenseman in here. The defense has puck movers but they are too soft back there.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006

Giordano is solid, but he's not great. He would be a better fix for a longer time than Leopold, but the price would obviously be much steeper. If the Blues cannot afford the asking price because it opens up other holes, that means the market isn't there.

Berglund, for example, would be very bad to move for Giordano unless the Blues were getting a center from somewhere else. Berglund and McDonald were far better in the playoffs than any other forward and the Blues need centers who can play on scoring lines and playoff performers. It's this kind of assumption about who is expendable and who is available and what the price is that seems far more clueless to me. Because most people aren't saying "There is conclusively no market," they're saying, "It's questionable, because what team is going to part with serious top talent?"

I seriously invite you to go down the list of teams and their contracts and tell me what players the Blues could bundle for first line or first pairing talent. I don't see how the assumption that a deal is out there is any better than the idea that if there is, it's probably too rich for the Blues' blood. It's not like there's NO suggestion that the Blues are on a tight budget. Check out their salaries compared to other teams in the league. Does that mean it cannot go higher? No, but it's NOT clueless or unfair to think it's not going much higher.

You can say you think the Blues need to make significant moves. You can say you think Armstrong will do it. I can buy a lot of reasons for those ideas, but the idea that people can't reasonably speculate about management decisions is broken and is founded in the same kind of absolutism you decry.

pricer502

Jun 3, 2011
Kansas City
I understand the argument. Armstrong did completely contradict himself, there's no way around that, so it's hard to believe what he says.

I'm a fan of acquiring Giordano as most know, but I highly doubt they trade Berglund heading into the playoffs without getting another center. Fill a hole, create a hole. Doesn't really help. Giordano for Rattie + Cole is a much bigger impact move.

Here's the way I look at it. If you remove Bergy or Perron from our lineup next game I don't think you would notice a difference in the Blues offensive production/puck control. But if you add Giordano to our D i think it would be an instant impact and noticable difference in our team play. Especially for Petro who can step up into the play with confidence and know that Gio has his back if he gets stuck down low in the offensive zone.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
The only move that COULD be a push would be J-Bo. He's one of the only reportedly available players that is not only a need of ours, but also has been linked to the Blues. Not saying it's what I want, but it could happen.

Market Street Heroes

Nov 2, 2008
Because Leopold is not very good. Seems like a move just to make a move to be honest. I think it's a token move to be honest just to try to show the fans he did something.

Stillman is not a very impressive owner this far.

What is Stillman supposed to do? This ownership group doesn't have deep pockets that they are willing to use on this club. These are very rich, very smart men and they aren't going to dump millions of dollars into a money sink.

Frankly, i'm not even sure why they bought the team. This franchise bleeds money.

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010
What is Stillman supposed to do? This ownership group doesn't have deep pockets that they are willing to use on this club. These are very rich, very smart men and they aren't going to dump millions of dollars into a money sink.

Frankly, i'm not even sure why they bought the team. This franchise bleeds money.

That's exactly my point. When you own a pro hockey team in a city like St Louis it needs to be a passion not a business. Hell the cap is even dropping next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad