Confirmed with Link: Jordan Leopold to Blues for draft picks

BlueBeard

Aug 17, 2008
Interesting move. He's not the upper end d we were looking for but he's not a bad player.

I'm guessing a 2nd and a 4th?

Linus

Nov 27, 2010
St. Louis
2nd and a conditional 5th. I know nothing about Leopold, but a 2nd seems steep to me. Anyone with more knowledge wanna weigh in?

They sent Allen to Peoria to make room for Leopold. I wonder if that's a permanent thing and we're going with Halak/Elliott the rest of the season, or if it's just temporary and we'll make room some other way for Allen.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
On Wednesday the roster limit is removed so Allen will be able to come back up. If he wasn't going to start in Minnesota then there's no harm.

We had an extra 2d and that's what defensive rentals are priced as. Hopefully we put him with Pietrangelo and make Petro be the stay at homer while Leopold is the PMD.

erderuft

Jun 28, 2011
Borås, Sweden
Well, Leopolds a good player. A veteran LD but still not too old. Nice that we didn't have to give up any players to get him. Solid pickup.

Maxil

Feb 4, 2012
ah forgot about the roster limit, had just posted in another thread about allen going down.

Still think something needs to be done on the goalie front though, elliot is too expensive to stay in the ahl or just be scratched

Linus

Nov 27, 2010
St. Louis
On Wednesday the roster limit is removed so Allen will be able to come back up. If he wasn't going to start in Minnesota then there's no harm.

We had an extra 2d and that's what defensive rentals are priced as. Hopefully we put him with Pietrangelo and make Petro be the stay at homer while Leopold is the PMD.

Completely forgot about the roster limit no longer being in effect after the trade deadline, thanks. Good to know.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Funny that Armstrong just got through talking about not acquiring depth but giving up true futures value for a real piece. Then does opposite.

BlueBeard

Aug 17, 2008
Considering the market this year, a 2nd and conditional 5th is a pretty fair deal.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
ah forgot about the roster limit, had just posted in another thread about allen going down.

Still think something needs to be done on the goalie front though, elliot is too expensive to stay in the ahl or just be scratched

Elliott was only down in Peoria for conditioning starts.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Sabres fan here. Frankly, I'm shocked that Regier was able to get a 2nd and another pick for Leo.

He's been DREADFUL this year for us. He was rock-solid last year. But this year he's been a turnover machine.

Maybe a change of scenery will help him.....and I hope ya'll aren't counting on him to be a reliable top 4 guy. He can REALLY eat minutes when he's on.........but if he's not (like this year)....he's full of hand-grenade moments.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Considering the market this year, a 2nd and conditional 5th is a pretty fair deal.

I'm guilty of this as well, but his horrid season has put his first two decent years in the distant past.

He showed signs the last four games of being a little bit more "back to normal" but his season has been a lost cause - unsure of himself with the puck, beat routinely in one on one battles and in the corners, GOD-AWFUL turnovers... I really hope he can steady himself in St. Louis, as I harbor no ill-will towards him and have a soft spot for the Blues.

dRange44

Jun 2, 2012
Josh Rimer just tweeted he's hearing the Blues aren't done. Looking for one more D upgrade. If true, I assume that would be Russell's spot.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Oh, and he can definitely eat a lot of ice time. That's a plus. It's just a question of whether or not you want him on the ice that long if he's turning the puck over at as rapid of a pace as he has this year.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
2nd and a 5th is pretty fair for a rental. If he shows to be a decent piece, maybe sign him for a couple more years. If not, bummer. We had to do something.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Josh Rimer just tweeted he's hearing the Blues aren't done. Looking for one more D upgrade. If true, I assume that would be Russell's spot.

I think we'd definitely have to be moving a roster player, either Cole or Russell, in another deal. Something like Cole/Russell + 1st/Rattie for Giordano hopefully.

Giordano-Pietrangelo
Jackman-Shattenkirk
Leopold-Polak
Cole/Russell

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Funny that Armstrong just got through talking about not acquiring depth but giving up true futures value for a real piece. Then does opposite.

Lol I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully he finds his game from a year ago, if not it's not like we gave up anything huge.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Allen's down for the year, per Armstrong.

@jprutherford #stlblues have assigned Allen to Peoria. Elliott returns after tonight's game in Peoria. Army says it will be Halak/Elliott combo rest of yr

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Observations on Leo over the last three-ish years:

Left shooting D who can play either side
Can move the puck out of the zone, both with his feet and with a crisp pass
Under-rated shooter -- he gets it through
Has had a couple of hand injuries in the past few years which haven't helped his stick play
Will bump a bit but isn't a "physical" player -- more smarts, stick, and feet than burying someone along the wall

Downsides? He can lose his man around the net and that's where he gets burned a bit since he doesn't always engage low.
Has had a couple of hand injuries the last few years which took away from his stick skills while he was trying to play through 'em.

This year has been a tire fire of a season for just about everyone on the Sabres. Leopold, plugged into a solid roster, will be a good addition for the Blues. He had a rough year to date, but just about every other Sabre has as well.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
More

@jprutherford Armstrong says Leopold isn't flashy, doesn't pull you out of your seats, but he's a guy that touches many areas of the game. #stlblues

@jprutherford Army said the #stlblues aren't looking for any players who are going to give them surprises. They're looking for consistency.

@lkorac10 Leopold won't be here in time for tomorrow's practice but will make it in STL for the flight to Minnesota. #stlblues

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Observations on Leo over the last three-ish years:

Left shooting D who can play either side
Can move the puck out of the zone, both with his feet and with a crisp pass
Under-rated shooter -- he gets it through
Has had a couple of hand injuries in the past few years which haven't helped his stick play
Will bump a bit but isn't a "physical" player -- more smarts, stick, and feet than burying someone along the wall

Downsides? He can lose his man around the net and that's where he gets burned a bit since he doesn't always engage low.
Has had a couple of hand injuries the last few years which took away from his stick skills while he was trying to play through 'em.

This year has been a tire fire of a season for just about everyone on the Sabres. Leopold, plugged into a solid roster, will be a good addition for the Blues. He had a rough year to date, but just about every other Sabre has as well.

Interesting. Thank you for the input.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad