Confirmed with Link: Jordan Leopold to Blues for draft picks

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I'm fine with this trade. Didn't give up a ton of value and got a guy who can log minutes and play both the powerplay and penalty kill. He can put up points and play solid defensively. The whole Buffalo team was horrible this season - I think Leopold can be a solid player here. Good veteran age, not too old. Pretty good pickup by Armstrong.

I don't have anything against Russell and he has been playing much better as of late, but now with this pickup we don't really need him. He's too small, and we have other puck movers and defenders overall. I would definitely like to package Russell in a deal for another upgrade now, and then I'd really feel confident about the 'D'.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Buffalo fans sound like they think they got the better in this trade, how is that?

He hasn't played great and they aren't exactly going to do anything this year, so the picks are a win for them even if he goes on to win the Conn Smythe :laugh:

I'm a Cole fan, but he is by far the most inconsistent player in the history of sports. He will go from playing great and shutting the other team down and the next game he will be Gusarov bad and let everyone fly right by him.

It would be helpful if he was put in a position to succeed rather than getting tough minutes constantly. It is strange that they paired him with Pietrangelo, and then when Jax-Petro was working out that they never gave him a shot with Shattenkirk. A Cole-Shattenkirk pairing would have made a lot more sense than Redden-Shattenkirk.

Jackman will likely be back with Shattenkirk now, so hopefully we'll see his offensive game come back now Redden is out.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Ohh, getting offensive now. Don't worry, you insulting me over the internet doesn't hurt my feelings. Plus I know you do it a lot. You get sassy pretty easily.

Not really getting offensive. You didn't mention Cole in your post, but expected me to obviously understand that it was about Cole. You said you couldn't understand how I could have possibly understood it any other way than being about Cole. That, my friend, is really dumb. And you were the one who brought up it being hard to read a 2.5 line block of text. On that one, I don't even.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
ok, moving on. Back to Leopold.

If they win a playoff round they basically give up the surplus 2d (Bishop) and 4th (Crombeen) they had amassed, still preserving a normal run of draft picks this year.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Not really getting offensive. You didn't mention Cole in your post, but expected me to obviously understand that it was about Cole. You said you couldn't understand how I could have possibly understood it any other way than being about Cole. That, my friend, is really dumb. And you were the one who brought up it being hard to read a 2.5 line block of text. On that one, I don't even.

Ok, acquiring one defenseman does not eliminate 2 defensemen off the roster. Pretty simple concept.

I said anything that gets Russel and Redden off the roster. Unless Leopold was planning on playing the role of the #3 and #6 defensemen what I meant was pretty obvious.

Colt 55

RIP Oscar and Jose
Jan 28, 2012
Coronado
Ohh, getting offensive now. Don't worry, you insulting me over the internet doesn't hurt my feelings. Plus I know you do it a lot. You get sassy pretty easily.

I don't think it was that insulting. Because a block of text is what the english speaking people call a paragraph, and when you type out a long,thoughtful, assessment as p9 usually does you might have a long paragraph to read. Sorry if it is an inconvience, but many people around here appreciate his post and their length.

Last edited:

superblues

:sarcasm: implied
Oct 29, 2011
I like this deal. Even if Leopold is inconsistent and turns the puck over a lot, worst case is he fits right in.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
Buffalo fans sound like they think they got the better in this trade, how is that?

Because he was not going to be resigned in Buffalo, we (Buffalo) are going nowhere fast and we are happy to get on with the Fire sale.

Twisted Blue

Feb 4, 2013
St. Louis
NOT to get off topic but I heard that the Blues picked up this Leopold guy at D...

If he can help take some of the pressure off Petro in moving the puck out of the zone...I'm for it. Sounds like he has performed well in the past and hopefully the change of scenery re-energizes his career.

Best case... solid defensive play that may be able to contribute on PP and help Petro
Worst case... Redden only 3 years younger

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
How much of an improvement over redden is leopold?

We shall see. Redden hasn't looked so good on the powerplay, so maybe Leopold will be better there. I think they're more confident that Leopold can play more minutes, even if he's only marginally better.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
How much of an improvement over redden is leopold?

I am under the impression that he can skate reasonably well, and move the puck reasonably well. Apparently he has moments of inconsistency playing defense, so he should fit right in.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
We shall see. Redden hasn't looked so good on the powerplay, so maybe Leopold will be better there. I think they're more confident that Leopold can play more minutes, even if he's only marginally better.

That's the big issue. Leopold's a guy who can give you 20-22 minutes a night compared with Redden who was getting correctly more sheltered.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

He, much like most of the team, has been a mess at times this year. Most are tired of many players on the team, Leopold included. We're glad they got market value for a UFA-to-be.

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
Armstrong talking out both sides of his mouth within 24 hrs, kinda odd for him. I don't like the move myself, we need a defensive sound tough d man, not a puck mover. We cannot protect our net right now, adding Leopold is not going to help, probably make it worse.

pricer502

Jun 3, 2011
Kansas City
Armstrong talking out both sides of his mouth within 24 hrs, kinda odd for him. I don't like the move myself, we need a defensive sound tough d man, not a puck mover. We cannot protect our net right now, adding Leopold is not going to help, probably make it worse.

I completely agree with this. Not sure why we add another pretty soft Dman who is a minus player for his career. I feel our D moves the puck pretty well, what we lack is size,grit, and defensive responsibilty from our D. I guess if this is all that's available for Armstrong then it's ok, but this team needs a Giordano. I would trade berglund+ for Giordano, who gives us grit and he's a plus player for his career and he's been on some awful teams. He's not flashy but one of my favorite Dmen to watch in the game.

Sushiko

Don’t touch my Bozak
Jul 7, 2011
PHX AZ
Sounds good I guess, but I don't have a lot of an opinion till I see him play a while. Like most Missourians, you'll have to "Show-me" first :laugh: but I like to think I have some optimism about the trade. Very interested to see what else goes on Wednesday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad