HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Observations on Leo over the last three-ish years:

Left shooting D who can play either side
Can move the puck out of the zone, both with his feet and with a crisp pass
Under-rated shooter -- he gets it through
Has had a couple of hand injuries in the past few years which haven't helped his stick play
Will bump a bit but isn't a "physical" player -- more smarts, stick, and feet than burying someone along the wall

Downsides? He can lose his man around the net and that's where he gets burned a bit since he doesn't always engage low.
Has had a couple of hand injuries the last few years which took away from his stick skills while he was trying to play through 'em.

This year has been a tire fire of a season for just about everyone on the Sabres. Leopold, plugged into a solid roster, will be a good addition for the Blues. He had a rough year to date, but just about every other Sabre has as well.

Thanks! Hopefully he can help Petro if he's paired with him.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
Allen will stay down because Stillman probably gave Army a set amount of money. Just my guess.

iknowphysics

Mar 4, 2007
Redondo Beach, CA
Sabres fan here. Thanks for this trade.

Leo has historically demonstrated that he's a dependable puck moving defenseman that makes sound decisions with the puck, can play bigger minutes, and routinely contribute offensively and defensively. However, this season he's been one of the most frustrating Sabre players to watch because he hasn't played to his ability seemingly so at different ends of the ice at different times. Could be him, could be us, but his inconsistency has worn on the fanbase here and we wanted to move on.

It's a good square deal at a 2nd and a cond. 4th/5th. I hope he's able to regain his form and perform well with you guys.

(I hope he doesn't play poorly, but if he does, don't be mad at us. We took Brad Boyes off your hands for a 2nd :D)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If he slots in as a 4/5 for the Blues, I think he'll be fine. The Blues don't seem like a train wreck emotionally and the forwards actually come back in support in their own zone from what I've seen.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
No, Allen being on the roster the rest of the year would cost something like 150K. They can always recall him (and will) if someone gets hurt.

Well yeah, they can't play with one goalie. I just think Stillman gave him a certain amount of money and sending down Allen will allow them to spend a bit more.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Allen's down for the year, per Armstrong.
I think that's a "vote of confidence" for Elliott (and Halak to some degree). But if they play horrid I think Jake is back.

This is probably the try-out to decide whether Jaro or Elliott is back next season (paired with Allen). I'm not sure too many people thought Allen was going to guide the team deep into the post-season, and maybe Halak will peter out too....but if he does I think that's the end of his Blues' tenure. And if he responds? Maybe the team can figure out how to play like last season again. (I'm not going to bet any of my own money though).

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
?? Russell's been much better than early in the season and will still be in the lineup.

?? Yeah, but it keeps one of them out.

Every game I watch (all but 3) Russels been very unreliable and I don't want to have to watch him during the playoffs. Hopefully we get Giordano and Russel can sit out.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Yeah, but it keeps one of them out.

Every game I watch (all but 3) Russels been very unreliable and I don't want to have to watch him during the playoffs. Hopefully we get Giordano and Russel can sit out.

Well first of all Russell being very unreliable in every game this season is just inaccurate. He was also excellent in last year's playoffs, arguably the best Blue against the Kings. Beyond that I have some very bad news for you on Russell:

"The one thing this season has shown us is (Barret Jackman) has good chemistry with Alex or with Shattenkirk, or Roman (Polak) for that matter," Armstrong said. "Recently I really like the pair of (Kris) Russell and Roman, and I think the coaches like that also."

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Nothing too exciting, but hopefully it will solidify our D. Will be interesting to see if Jax remains with Petro and we see just a straight Redden-Leopold swap.

Not a long term solution in the top 4, but I wonder if there will be a choice between Leopold and Russell in the summer.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
How is it inaccurate? He doesn't break up as many plays as the other defensemen and he isn't as solid when he has the puck. Doesn't make a lot of smart plays... Doesn't do too much except take up the spot we need filled.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
How is it inaccurate? He doesn't break up as many plays as the other defensemen and he isn't as solid when he has the puck. Doesn't make a lot of smart plays... Doesn't do too much except take up the spot we need filled.

It's inaccurate because Russell being "very unreliable" in every game this season is fiction. And this is why the GM and coaching staff are in unison about really liking the Russell-Polak pairing that was darn good all last year and better in the playoffs.

Russell was very bad in the beginning of this season but came back from some scratches and has been strong again.

ExJbeck

Jul 29, 2012
The one thing I like is this opens up a good amount of possibilities on defense. Depending on chemistry we could end up with Petro-Shatty. Or Leopold could play with either one of those and Jax with the other. Hopefully he can contribute to the PP/PK or both.

Russell has been very dependable as of late. Back to the Russell we saw last season.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
We could go back and forth all day about this. IMO, I feel like Russel is favored over Cole because of playing for Hitchcock in Columbus.

Russel shouldn't be playing full time.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
We could go back and forth all day about this. IMO, I feel like Russel is favored over Cole because of playing for Hitchcock in Columbus.

Russell plays ahead of Cole because his style of play compliments Polák better.

As P9's said, outside of the first 10 or so games this season Russell has been very solid. I don't put much faith in +/-, but when he is second on the team then he isn't exactly hurting us.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands

We really couldn't. Apologies, but you're just not watching the play correctly. The Russell playing now is fine. He and Polak, playing like this, are an excellent bottom pairing. It's not even really a point of controversy. GM/coaches understand it.

Does Hitchcock like Russell? Yes. Logically, does that therefore mean Russell has been bad? Lol, obviously no.

ExJbeck

Jul 29, 2012

I see where you're coming from, but I don't agree. You could make an argument that Cole brings more to the game individually than Russell. I'm not sure whether or not I would agree, but I think the Russell-Polak pair has been very solid. I think that as soon as Russell deserves to be in the dog house, Hitch won't hesitate to give someone else a chance. Russell is earning his playing time.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
We really couldn't. Apologies, but you're just not watching the play correctly. The Russell playing now is fine. He and Polak, playing like this, are an excellent bottom pairing. It's not even really a point of controversy. GM/coaches understand it.

Does Hitchcock like Russell? Yes. Logically, does that therefore mean Russell has been bad? Lol, obviously no.

Maybe you aren't watching the play correctly?

See how this can go yet?

bluesman11

Robert Johnson
Mar 19, 2010
Not much to get excited about, we'll have to see if he was worth a 2nd, if they're out after the first round I’ll wish they still had the 2nd. But I think this team needs to make to the playoffs for the average fan and their bottom line, hope he helps because if they do get in the playoffs the experience won't hurt this young core.

Wonder if he were to get hurt and miss the playoffs and The Blues still make to the 2nd round do they still lose their 4th over the 5th? I guess it really doesn’t matter, just curious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad