Player Discussion: Jordan Eberle

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Chiarelli gets fleeced. Eberle is in a different league then Strome. Nothing on Eberle, Skating, shooting, passing, hockey IQ nothing. Eberle is also just turning 27, another good 4 or 5 years. Strome has been utter garbage. Kind of expected it. After all it's Chiarelli. The master of asset management uggh

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Chiarelli gets fleeced. Eberle is in a different league then Strome. Nothing on Eberle, Skating, shooting, passing, hockey IQ nothing. Eberle is also just turning 27, another good 4 or 5 years. Strome has been utter garbage. Kind of expected it. After all it's Chiarelli. The master of asset management uggh

It makes me sad. That kid had a lot of potential.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Seidenberg takes more than enough lazy penalties to make up
I hope you did not forget the icings from 1 step before the red line. The only positive about Seidenberg is that the somehow helps CDH. Stick them together for 10 games, then do whatever with him.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Completely agree.

I think Ladd gives those two a little more muscle, and I think Nelson is playing good enough to contribute on a third line in a scoring role.

I hope Weight eventually works to this...

Lee-Tavares-Bailey
Ladd-Barzal-Eberle
Nelson-Beauvillier-Ho-Sang
Kulemin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

or this...

Lee-Tavares-Bailey
Beauvillier-Barzal-Eberle
Ladd-Nelson-Ho-Sang
Kulemin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

For me, 27-91-12 is just the perfect blend and have shown chemistry time and time again, Eberle seemed to click with Barzal (3 point night when moved off the top line), and Nelson and Ho-Sang (when he's back up) seem to hook up for goals constantly even dating back to last year.

ALSO, I don't mind bumping Cizikas up to the third line, but I'd rather see Beauvillier or Nelson there ahead of him, so unless there are injuries, depth keeps him on the fourth line unfortunately.

Looks like Weight is reading HFBoards.

Now to just get rid of Chimera and bring up Ho-Sang to feed the puck to Nelson and Beauvillier.

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
This trade has been a great example of a fan base narrative dictating reality and that usually never ends well! I never understood the Eberle hatred in Edmonton. Sure, he can be inconsistent but he is literally one of the few bankable 60 point guys in the NHL (barring injury). And what did they get for him? Ryan Strome who was so visibly unready for the NHL that snow should go to jail for stealing Eberle! I got so tired of watching Strome get knocked off the puck and wander around the ice aimlessly. To be fair, i don't think Cappy did him any favors but he's just not top flight NHL material. Eberle is uber talented and I hope he stays with us for a long time!

Another great game from Ebs

Last edited:
Reactions: dood

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
He's been great. Smart, slick, creative and very poised.

I originally thought he'd be a natural fit with JT...no cigar there lol. He's been dynamite with Barzal.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
the skill level with eberle ho sang and barzal all playing is a huge difference compared to last years 1st half team...maybe enough to make tavares want to stay.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Sportsnet has an interesting Eberle article.I had trouble with the link
Maybe someone else can post it?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Thanks. From the comments below, it sounds like Eberle appreciates being out of the media glare of the Canadian press.

www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/eberle-regaining-confidence-renaissance-islanders/
“Definitely didn’t play up to my standards, especially in the playoffs,” Eberle admitted. “It has to do with points. I had a really good first series and it didn’t show on the scoresheet. Those are times you have to score and I got demoted in the lineup and beaten up a bit, too.”

“The Edmonton media can be pretty brutal and your confidence goes and this is a game you can’t play if you don’t have confidence,” Eberle said. “It’s that simple. It’s the Edmonton Oilers and everything around it. When you read articles every day about how much you suck, it’s tough.”

Confidence can be fleeting in hockey because there are so many games. Eberle says his confidence level is growing. He points to a possible ancillary reason for such.
“We don’t get as much media coverage and don’t have to deal with that sort of element and maybe can play looser and freer and it helps our game,” Eberle said. “Doug lets us play. I feel I have lots to give them here.”

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Barzal gets a lot of ink for what he's done, but truth be told he didn't start producing like this until Eberle was put on his wing. Barzal will look good with virtually anyone, but he needs a winger that can finish. Eberle has also assisted on a few of his goals.

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
I don't know who you're referring to with "Connor" but in regards to Nino I would definitely rather have Eberle! In fact I do:laugh:! He is on a line that is clicking and should produce points all year long. If you are referring to McDavid no way should you choose Ebs over him. McDavid is top dog!

If I could ask a fantasy hockey question, should I add Eberle over players like Connor and Niederreiter?

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
I think he means Kyle Connor on the Jets and I would take Eberle ahead of him.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Lulz, wasn't like he went off the draft board. I blame Capuano more because he was on fire his 1st stint. I remember him scoring on all lines.

When it comes down to it, Eberle said the Oil press killed his confidence. We can boohoo all we want for a 6 mil a year guy, but it's not like he needs to make any excuses now. He's become the player he always has been and maybe even better because I don't see as big a flaw in his defensive game, or an unwilllingness to go to the net. Not to knock PW, but he was the one talking about those things he observed and he may very well be right that Eberle played that way in EDM. But here, he hasn't shown any glaring flaws really. Perfect type of scoring sniper a team needs. So Eberle lashed out at Edmonton media, but put his skill where his mouth is and showing that there is credence to it.

Now on the flip side, if Capuano killed Strome's development, confidence et al....he's flat run out of excuses to have not turned his game around in EDM. He's been given skilled players to play with, given centering responsibilities, folks there say he's playing better, but as a third line center in a limited role. He just doesn't have the excuses anymore...and I think even Cappy is in the clear on this one. Still time though.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Who is going to take all the offensive zone penalties, now that he is gone?
Another Snow first round bust.

Another Snow gem of a trade.

It amazes me how many people still harp so much about a few draft picks when Snow has taken what was essentially a team barren of significant amounts of talent and gutted of prospects and turned it into this team which may be the best team the Isles have iced in 25 years (that's not necessarily saying a lot but still).

Also, the Islanders still have a bunch of potential impact prospects still in the pipeline. The trip may have been long and not quite a straight line from A to B, but I have a good feeling the Isles are definitively on the right track

Edit:

That's not to say that we shouldn't be critical of his top 5 pick history, but it's not like he's taking people pegged to be in the third round with these picks. Picking and projecting teenagers and how they will grow up is a crapshoot unfortunately

Last edited:
Reactions: MattBarzal

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island

It amazes me how many people still harp so much about a few draft picks when Snow has taken what was essentially a team barren of significant amounts of talent and gutted of prospects and turned it into this team which may be the best team the Isles have iced in 25 years (that's not necessarily saying a lot but still).

Also, the Islanders still have a bunch of potential impact prospects still in the pipeline. The trip may have been long and not quite a straight line from A to B, but I have a good feeling the Isles are definitively on the right track

Edit:
That's not to say that we shouldn't be critical of his top 5 pick history, but it's not like he's taking people pegged to be in the third round with these picks. Picking and projecting teenagers and how they will grow up is a crapshoot unfortunately

That's what I'm saying as well. Maybe he went off a little bit on Nino but it wasn't like he was slated to go in the 3rd round. MDC and Strome were the consensus picks. Sometimes players do't pan out.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015

Edit:

Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in awhile. Finding that acorn is much easier when Peter Chiarelli gives you 3 of them.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

Edit:

What's a few 1st round picks and a 12 year body of work between friends? :shakehead

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
What's a few 1st round picks and a 12 year body of work between friends? :shakehead
While fair criticisms overall, one cannot argue that this team isn't in a very good position ATTM, and, assuming JT resigns, could be in even better positions in the years to come.

Could the rebuild have been faster? Sure. Are there things that GS could improve at or is flat out bad at? Yeah. Is this team, as Snow constructed, in/on the verge of being an upper echelon team in this league with more good to very good (maybe not A+ prospects, but good B+ level ones) in the farm system and 4 picks in the first two rounds of what is purportedly the best/deepest draft in years? Methinks yes

Reactions: Disgraced Cosmonaut

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad