Player Discussion: Jordan Eberle

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
No he does not.
I am amused by the posters acting as if the isles somehow stole him.

Does JT look like a 12M player right now? I'm amazed how posters criticize Eberle for his adequate play on a new team with only 6 games under his belt.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Still too early to make changes to that top line imo. Yea they obviously need to start producing, but by no means have they been bad. They get chances and keep the puck in the right end of the rink, for the mostpart.

They really started clicking closer to the end of last game iirc. I remember telling myself, "huh they're starting to gel" when they put together a few great shifts right before Bailey eventually scored in the 2nd period.

Given their individual track records and matching styles, I don't think we should even consider breaking them up anytime soon.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
I like the way Ebs has been playing, but I think we should of went with last years top line. The Lee-Tavares-Bailey line was not the reason why we were losing games last year. I like the more balanced approach, would bump Eberle down to line 2.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I think there's a pretty big gap between wheeler and ryan in fairness.

Fair enough, but I'm sure there are plenty of other players in that money range they play at the same level as Eberle. Didn't feel like researching, and certainly don't feel like arguing with someone who never provides any substance back other than cocky sarcasm. I dropped that after I left my teens.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Eberle is an offensive accessory, and seems to be OK so far, just Isles have added essentially 3 guys that hold the puck for too long now with JHS and Barzal and that has reduced the touches for Ladd, Lee, JT, Nelson so far... if we Galenchyuk it will be a lot of selfish play.... Just to get rid of Strome, means we won this deal.... Strome will become a 4th line fighter, he best invent himself like another Isles that was shipped off to Edmonton, in Raffi Torres

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Eberle is an offensive accessory, and seems to be OK so far, just Isles have added essentially 3 guys that hold the puck for too long now with JHS and Barzal and that has reduced the touches for Ladd, Lee, JT, Nelson so far... if we Galenchyuk it will be a lot of selfish play.... Just to get rid of Strome, means we won this deal.... Strome will become a 4th line fighter, he best invent himself like another Isles that was shipped off to Edmonton, in Raffi Torres

You don't seriously believe that do you?

I peeked at the Oil board, apparently he had a solid game last night and the posters were pleased. Again, hope the trade works out for both players/teams (just more so for Ebs/Isles).

Richie Daggers Crime

Rugged individualist
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I think there's a pretty big gap between wheeler and ryan in fairness.

Exactly. Turris is over a PPG right now. Wheeler is a premier winger. Bobby Ryan has been struggling for a while. It's bad player comparisons.

Didn't feel like researching, and certainly don't feel like arguing with someone who never provides any substance back other than cocky sarcasm.

Nonsense. I only provide sarcasm in response to explicitly dim posts.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Does JT look like a 12M player right now? I'm amazed how posters criticize Eberle for his adequate play on a new team with only 6 games under his belt.
Is JT making $12m?When did his big raise kick in?
I thought he was making $5.5-$6m this season

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Tavares has been awful. This is superhero Tavares who shows up for a stretch every year since he has been here. He tries to do everything on his own and fails, bringing the entire line down with him. With all three of them playing poorly it just compounds the issue.

When we traded for Eberle I was told by many posters I respect that the magic already demonstrated between Tavares and Eberle on the international hockey system would add up to a huge plus for us on the NHL level. Sure I countered that in his final year he under performed even with McDavid. The responses were mostly the same - McDavid and Eberle was not a good mix but not to worry, he has already been dynamite with Tavares. I wanted to believe that, and I knew any normal player being shunned by his club and made a scapegoat would have every reason to stick it back in their face after being traded. An eventual rollback to his normal level would eventually occur, but my mistake, even I thought he would come out swinging like Rocky in the 15th round. The short answer to my unreal expectations is it didn't happen.

Am I missing something because what I was told is not what I am seeing. Where is the incredible synergy, and where is the desire to make Edmonton eat their words?

Reactions: Svengoolie

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Tavares has been awful. This is superhero Tavares who shows up for a stretch every year since he has been here. He tries to do everything on his own and fails, bringing the entire line down with him. With all three of them playing poorly it just compounds the issue.

When we traded for Eberle I was told by many posters I respect that the magic already demonstrated between Tavares and Eberle on the international hockey system would add up to a huge plus for us on the NHL level. Sure I countered that in his final year he under performed even with McDavid. The responses were mostly the same - McDavid and Eberle was not a good mix but not to worry, he has already been dynamite with Tavares. I wanted to believe that, and I knew any normal player being shunned by his club and made a scapegoat would have every reason to stick it back in their face after being traded. An eventual rollback to his normal level would eventually occur, but my mistake, even I thought he would come out swinging like Rocky in the 15th round. The short answer to my unreal expectations is it didn't happen.

Am I missing something because what I was told is not what I am seeing. Where is the incredible synergy, and where is the desire to make Edmonton eat their words?

I don't think Eberle has played poorly, but I don't think he fits with Tavares and Lee. It's possible he could develop chemistry with them, but I'm not interested in the time that'd take just to try it out. He's also supposed to be good on the PP, but our PP is absolutely terrible from a coaching standpoint I don't think anyone would do well in the setup.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I don't think Eberle has played poorly, but I don't think he fits with Tavares and Lee. It's possible he could develop chemistry with them, but I'm not interested in the time that'd take just to try it out. He's also supposed to be good on the PP, but our PP is absolutely terrible from a coaching standpoint I don't think anyone would do well in the setup.

I am caught between my own opinions on this. Before making a judgement I believe we need to see Tavares get back on his A-game. He isn't there at the moment and would likely fail with anyone he plays with. Is it fair to look at Eberle as a line mate under those conditions? Idk, I would want to see more games with them together to make this judgement but I have to agree that for now they need to split them apart.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

I've been saying this for YEARS about Eberle. He is just not the proper fit with a Tavares and Lee combination. Eberle is essentially Brad Boyes when JT had Moulson on the LW. The onus is on Tavares to be the engine, he gets into funks where he tries to do too much because his linemates aren't capable of creating their own offense or offense for others. Lee is a brute, he is a finisher. Eberle is opportunistic, he's more of a finisher.

JT and Lee need someone who can be the zone entry guy and playmaker. Theoretically, Ho-Sang is the best fit on the team right now.

Eberle should be on the 2nd line, paired with Barzal who is very adept at creating time and space with his Dean Youngblood routine.

Reactions: ndgolden and MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I've been saying this for YEARS about Eberle. He is just not the proper fit with a Tavares and Lee combination. Eberle is essentially Brad Boyes when JT had Moulson on the LW. The onus is on Tavares to be the engine, he gets into funks where he tries to do too much because his linemates aren't capable of creating their own offense or offense for others. Lee is a brute, he is a finisher. Eberle is opportunistic, he's more of a finisher.

JT and Lee need someone who can be the zone entry guy and playmaker. Theoretically, Ho-Sang is the best fit on the team right now.

Eberle should be on the 2nd line, paired with Barzal who is very adept at creating time and space with his Dean Youngblood routine.
I've been hinting around trying Ho-Sang up front with Tavares and Lee since camp.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I've been hinting around trying Ho-Sang up front with Tavares and Lee since camp.

When Frans was briefly on JT's LW, it freed up Johnny to trail the play and look for open ice where Frans could find him and get him the puck. Okposo could crash the net and hopefully get out of the damn way and not be in OkpoSUCK mode. With JT as the secondary puck carrier into the offensive zone, he's not swarmed. Ho-Sang is the only winger who can replicate that skillset and command respect from defenders because of his skating and skill.

I can't believe I'm saying this though, but if we want the best of Tavares offensively... I'd put him on Barzal's LW/RW. Like in the WCOH, JT can focus on embarrassing defenders and continually attacking the net without the responsibility of having to play center. He can take faceoffs for Barzal too. Lee crashes the net. Out of the talent and skillset we have on this team, Lee-Barzal-Tavares (plays his off wing) is probably the most dangerous offensive line we can come up with. Tavares as Sutton and Barzal as Youngblood, you don't have to George Costanza squint to see it too.

I will say though, JT may not be scoring yet this is the most complete his game has ever been in his 2-way ability.

24diving

Apr 5, 2013
suffolk, long island
Eberle is a 50 point play who is on pace for 50 points...I'm not sure why people are surprised?
He’s averaged over 60 points per season if 82 games are assumed,(61.5) his ppg for career is .75 and is currently pacing 47 points playing in what many thought would be an improved situation for him. I’m not sure I’ve seen anyone actually surprised, just that the first line hasn’t gelled yet and people were hoping for more immediate results? Personally, I think he would be a better fit with barzal.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Just curious on Eberle so far from an Isles point of view. He had magic with Tavares in junior. I was not impressed with Strome at all but he has looked good the last few games in Edmonton. Thoughts?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Just curious on Eberle so far from an Isles point of view. He had magic with Tavares in junior. I was not impressed with Strome at all but he has looked good the last few games in Edmonton. Thoughts?

He's been better (i.e. faster and more gritty) than he was described by Edmonton fans. I personally don't like him on the top line, but that's not because I think he's bad but because I think he can carry the offense a bit more on the second line. Pretty good amount of skill and makes some nice plays that few other players are capable of making. Not the best defender, but don't need him to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->