Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin - So comman Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I still think he can succeed at center, he has the tools IMO. A Giroux type is what I'm seeing.

I'm not writing off his success at C, but I think that he would need the right wingers to be at his best. They'd have to be truly two-way wingers with size for battles along the boards and enough speed and offensive upside to capitalize on Drouin's playmaking. Still, I believe that we can get more out of Drouin on the wing, where we could spring him along the left wall with an outlet pass and let him use his speed and his shot/puck skills to the fullest. Also, playing on the LW would better utilize his playmaking skills in the O-zone.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I'm not writing off his success at C, but I think that he would need the right wingers to be at his best. They'd have to be truly two-way wingers with size for battles along the boards and enough speed and offensive upside to capitalize on Drouin's playmaking. Still, I believe that we can get more out of Drouin on the wing, where we could spring him along the left wall with an outlet pass and let him use his speed and his shot/puck skills to the fullest. Also, playing on the LW would better utilize his playmaking skills in the O-zone.
Yeah well we don't have that center...

He looked decent with 2 guys that work hard and go to the net in Byron and Gally...

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
MBs done nothing to help the kid. Trade a popular prospect that was a position for need for him when he wasn't a position of need, lose Markov which put more spotlight on the loss of Serge, then shift JD to a position he's not used to or good at, then throw him under the bus for not being good at it

Put the added pressure of being a French player in Montreal on top of all that

How the f*** does someone think this through, hell even think for half a second, and think it's a good idea?

Move him back to wing FFS and get him a centre to play with before you ruin him, and if you can't find one swallow your pride and arrogance and use Chucky there

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
MBs done nothing to help the kid. Trade a popular prospect that was a position for need for him when he wasn't a position of need, lose Markov which put more spotlight on the loss of Serge, then shift JD to a position he's not used to or good at, then throw him under the bus for not being good at it

Put the added pressure of being a French player in Montreal on top of all that

How the **** does someone think this through, hell even think for half a second, and think it's a good idea?

Move him back to wing FFS and get him a centre to play with before you ruin him, and if you can't find one swallow your pride and arrogance and use Chucky there
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

And what about a guy like Karlsson?

Are you guys going to stop switching stances all the time?! Geez...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin said during his mid-season news conference that in a perfect world, Drouin would be playing on the wing, but for now he’s the best they have at centre. It obviously hasn’t been good enough. ...

“I don’t think his best has come out,” Bowman said about Drouin. “There’s a lot of pressure on him … but he’s only 22.”
He’s also not really a centre — and that part isn’t his fault.

Stu Cowan: Jonathan Drouin has failed to live up to fans' expectations

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
He will play on the wing next season if they find a center.....and we will see the true Drouin. On the wing he will use his explosion a lot better.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
In a perfect world, Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin says, Jonathan Drouin would be playing on the wing. ...

“Probably a better option would be on the wing but, in the situation we’re in, it’s not possible,” said Bergevin. “In a perfect world, if we had that No. 1 centre, that guy who can make plays, a high-end centre, (Drouin would) probably be on the wing.”

“I showed up at training camp and the first thing they did was put me at centre,” said Drouin.
“We talked about it and I’m still at centre. … There are some days when I definitely want to be at wing, ...

Canadiens' Jonathan Drouin experiencing growing pains at centre

This sounds like Bergevin's default position about the playoffs -- make the playoffs and anything can happen. Show up at training camp and any position can happen.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Short of finding 2 C's who have experience playing the position...I think this is the right move.

I do agree with Bergevin's comments when he says that it takes mileage/experience to play the position and I think this past year went a long way to providing that experience.

I think if MB can just find a way to add another top 6C, it will provide more insulation and take some pressure off of Drouin moving forward.

Reactions: Michelb2018
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad