Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin - So comman Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin said during his mid-season news conference that in a perfect world, Drouin would be playing on the wing, but for now he’s the best they have at centre. It obviously hasn’t been good enough. ...

“I don’t think his best has come out,” Bowman said about Drouin. “There’s a lot of pressure on him … but he’s only 22.”
He’s also not really a centre — and that part isn’t his fault.

Stu Cowan: Jonathan Drouin has failed to live up to fans' expectations
Does Stu Cowen ever say anything positive the guy is pathetic

Reactions: Belial

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
At 22, instead of being the worst top 6 center in the league, Giroux was scoring 76 points.

Drouin has a lot of work to do. From his all around game, to his effort level right down to his ****ty attitude.
Claude Giroux, at 22yrs old, also had the luxury of having the following centers on his team.

Jeff Carter, Mike Richards and Daniel Brière (who I believe at the time was playing wing).

Jonathan Drouin had the following centers on his team.

Tomas Plekanec, Philip Danault, Torrey Mitchell, Byron Froese, Jacob de la Rose

Situations and circumstances were completely different, not fair to compare both situations IMO.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
It seems strange for people to criticize management for sticking with Drouin despite him struggling, but also criticizing management for not sticking with Galchenyuk during his struggles.

It's good that they aren't repeating their mistakes, even though it makes them into complete hypocrites. Assuming we don't get Tavares we should play both Drouin and Galchenyuk at center next year.

Reactions: Draft

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It seems strange for people to criticize management for sticking with Drouin despite him struggling, but also criticizing management for not sticking with Galchenyuk during his struggles.
Right?

I've pointed this out several times...at this stage, they have to stick with Drouin at C, doing otherwise would be doing EXACTLY what we've all criticized them for doing with Galchenyuk.

It's good that they aren't repeating their mistakes, even though it makes them into complete hypocrites. Assuming we don't get Tavares we should play both Drouin and Galchenyuk at center next year.
Better for them to be hypocrites in this case than to repeat the same mistakes.

Also agreed about playing Drouin AND Galchenyuk at center next year if MB can't find that elusive top 6C...but I think they've made it clear that Galchenyuk is going to be a winger moving forward.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
If the GM and then coach had done with Galchenyuk like MB is saying he's gonna continue to do with Drouin at center now in that NHL.com Q & A the Habs would likely have a competent top 6 offensive center in Galchenyuk right now. Galchenyuk looked way better at center than Drouin ever did at anytime last season. As was mentioned in the draft thread MB comes off as a huge hypocrite yet again for his comments about Drouin at center when he did the opposite with Galchenyuk

How poorly the Habs handled Galchenyuk to become an NHL center after Marc Bergevin said he was drafted as a center on draft day should be a lesson to all GM's on how to not develop a promising high draft pick. Galchneyuk is still a good player but if he were developed properly for the center position like he was drafted for I wonder what he really could've been.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal

If they played Galchenyuk at centre then it'd be a little easier to swallow also having Drouin there.

Drouin has never showed that he can be a good centre in the NHL His success in Tampa came off the wing if I'm not mistaken. Galchenyuk has played his best at centre.

f*** Bergevin.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
If the GM and then coach had done with Galchenyuk like MB is saying he's gonna continue to do with Drouin at center now in that NHL.com Q & A the Habs would likely have a competent top 6 offensive center in Galchenyuk right now. Galchenyuk looked way better at center than Drouin ever did at anytime last season. As was mentioned in the draft thread MB comes off as a huge hypocrite yet again for his comments about Drouin at center when he did the opposite with Galchenyuk

How poorly the Habs handled Galchenyuk to become an NHL center after Marc Bergevin said he was drafted as a center on draft day should be a lesson to all GM's on how to not develop a promising high draft pick. Galchneyuk is still a good player but if he were developed properly for the center position like he was drafted for I wonder what he really could've been.
So you think they should just repeat, what we've all acknowledged was a mistake with Galchenyuk (jerking him around between wing & center), with Drouin out of spite?

So spite is better than hypocrisy?

That doesn't make much sense.

Drouin played the entire year as a C...they need to stick with it, in for a penny, in for a pound.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
So you think they should just repeat, what we've all acknowledged was a mistake with Galchenyuk (jerking him around between wing & center), with Drouin out of spite?

So spite is better than hypocrisy?

That doesn't make much sense.

Drouin played the entire year as a C...they need to stick with it, in for a penny, in for a pound.

I just want Drouin to play the position where he'd likely be the most effective and center doesn't seem to be it. What if he's still awful there next season? Do they keep sticking with it for 3-4 years hoping he'll eventually get it? Galchenyuk even at this point IMO would be a better option at center than what Drouin currently is since Drouin as never shown what Galchenyuk as playing the position.

Last edited:

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
Not surprised. I would give him another shot at centre even though I think he's a natural winger. Who knows, maybe he will surprise us next season?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I just want Drouin to play the position where he'd likely be the most effective and center doesn't seem to be it. What if he's still awful there next season?
What if he's NOT awful there next season? What if he, hold on here I might blow your mind, actually improved after what he went through this past year?

Furthermore, it's also up to the GM to help his players/team...if Bergevin can somehow find a way to add a top 6C, it lessens the pressure on Drouin and provides the insulation he just didn't have this year.

That could go a long way in helping Drouin have a bounce back year.

Do they keep sticking with for 3-4 years hoping he'll eventually get it? Galchenyuk even at this point IMO would be a better option at center than what Drouin currently is since Drouin as never shown what Galchenyuk as playing the position.
This is often repeated but I don't necessarily agree...

I don't think either Galchenyuk or Drouin's sample size at center is big enough to draw much conclusions, they both showed good things and bad things.

I just always hoped they would of stuck with Galchenyuk through the growing pains instead of moving him back and forth between positions...which is EXACTLY what I don't want them to repeat with Drouin.

I always read on here the buzzword "development"...it's always thrown around here as something the Habs suck at...and while that may be true, it's also true that most fans don't have the patience for development. To most fans, development is only about success and production, it's never about struggling, learning and overcoming.

Development is not always an upwards trend, look at Carey Price's career as the perfect example...before he became widely known as the best goaltender in the world, a lot of fans were upset he had been retained over Jaroslav Halak.

Things can change quickly...

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Mike Zeisberger is on TSN690 right now talking about his chat with MB yesterday. Talking about MB mentioning speed and needing to get faster since that's where the NHL is going. Too bad the speed thing didn't clue into him before he traded for slow Weber and his 10 year contract and giving slow Alzner a 5 year contract. He built his defense last year with slow non puck moving defenseman and that was a huge fail and is the total opposite of everything he's saying now.

Marc Bergevin the GM with no plan and just making things up as he goes. Things will get even worse before they get better if Molson insists on keeping this guy around ruining his franchise.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Right?

I've pointed this out several times...at this stage, they have to stick with Drouin at C, doing otherwise would be doing EXACTLY what we've all criticized them for doing with Galchenyuk.
The difference is those people feel Drouin is much better as a winger, which is where he is more natural and will thrive. For Galchenyuk, they felt he would reach his max potential at center.
So there is no hypocrisy. I mean...if we move Shea Weber there, would you ask for patience too?
Obviously that is an extreme comparison, but the point is the posters criticizing this are doing so because they want to see those players placed in their natural positions, where they are likely to perform best.
Those positions are Winger for Drouin and Center for Galchenyuk.

Personally, I think Drouin is a winger. He doesn't need the middle of the ice to pick up speed, he doesn't like to be low in his zone and break out with the puck, he's not good defensively or at FOs. He's more of a perimeter player who can do some dangles and brilliant passes.
Using him on the wing seems like such an easy decision.

But hey, if we are not going to use Galch at center, and we aren't getting anybody else, well then sure, put Drouin back there.
Better for them to be hypocrites in this case than to repeat the same mistakes.
Depends what you think is the mistake.
The posters who criticize both, as I said, think the mistake with Galchenyuk was to not use him in his natural position, center.
Those people think Drouin's natural position is the wing, so actually, to them, the Habs are repeating the same mistake.
Personally, I just don't see Drouin as a center. Maybe he can change that next year, but as of today, I don't see it and I think it's stupid to go into next season with the same centers.

Young players need to be put in a position where they will thrive, and slowly build up their share of responsibilities. Making Drouin the go-to offensive center on such a terrible team was not a good learning experience imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs178 and sheed36

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
If they played Galchenyuk at centre then it'd be a little easier to swallow also having Drouin there.

Drouin has never showed that he can be a good centre in the NHL His success in Tampa came off the wing if I'm not mistaken. Galchenyuk has played his best at centre.

**** Bergevin.

So because they made mistakes with Galchenyuk they should make the same mistakes with Drouin? How is that good?

Reactions: Habs Icing and 417

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Mike Zeisberger is on TSN690 right now talking about his chat with MB yesterday. Talking about MB mentioning speed and needing to get faster since that's where the NHL is going. Too bad the speed thing didn't clue into him before he traded for slow Weber and his 10 year contract and giving slow Alzner a 5 year contract. He built his defense last year with slow non puck moving defenseman and that was a huge fail and is the total opposite of everything he's saying now.

Marc Bergevin the GM with no plan and just making things up as he goes. Things will get even worse before they get better if Molson insists on keeping this guy around ruining his franchise.
Bergevin has always been a reactionary GM and not a visionary one. When the habs lost to the sens he focused on getting bigger player. Now it is not working so he wants faster guys.. This is why the habs are in worse shape than 6 years ago. The guy is clueless and is only looking at saving his job. I would not be surprise if he does a couple more reactionary trades before he gets fired.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
The difference is those people feel Drouin is much better as a winger, which is where he is more natural and will thrive. For Galchenyuk, they felt he would reach his max potential at center.
So there is no hypocrisy. I mean...if we move Shea Weber there, would you ask for patience too?
Obviously that is an extreme comparison, but the point is the posters criticizing this are doing so because they want to see those players placed in their natural positions, where they are likely to perform best.
Those positions are Winger for Drouin and Center for Galchenyuk.

Personally, I think Drouin is a winger. He doesn't need the middle of the ice to pick up speed, he doesn't like to be low in his zone and break out with the puck, he's not good defensively or at FOs. He's more of a perimeter player who can do some dangles and brilliant passes.
Using him on the wing seems like such an easy decision.

But hey, if we are not going to use Galch at center, and we aren't getting anybody else, well then sure, put Drouin back there.

Depends what you think is the mistake.
The posters who criticize both, as I said, think the mistake with Galchenyuk was to not use him in his natural position, center.
Those people think Drouin's natural position is the wing, so actually, to them, the Habs are repeating the same mistake.
Personally, I just don't see Drouin as a center. Maybe he can change that next year, but as of today, I don't see it.

I agree with everything in this post. I was gonna reply to 417 but you summed it up with pretty much everything I was gonna reply with so I'll use your post as my reply. :thumbu:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Just heard the interview. I liked what he said about how the league is getting younger and faster and how much more significant the development aspect is. And, if I understood correctly, he also mentioned how there are a lot more players coming out of the juniors that are more evolved or more polished, meaning more NHL-ready. Which puts a premium on those early draft selections as they become even more likely to be immediate contributors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad