Injury Report: Jonas Brodin (Injured Paw)

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Saw that too...good write-up. I had kind of been thinking about how he was playing really well this season. Good to see the recognition.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Gotta keep pumping up the trade value for the offseason :naughty:

Seriously though, they've had ups and downs as a pairing, but Brodin-Dumba has developed pretty well this year. As much flak as Dumba sometimes takes for his decision making, I think some of the "weird" Brodin stats the article references can be attributed to being paired with someone that can drive the offense like Dumba does. I think Brodin's got better offensive tools than he's often given credit for and I think Dumba's less hopeless defensively than he's often accused of, but they both clearly have their strengths and weaknesses. Ideally they'll continue to sync up and allow each to do what they're best at.

If we can re-sign Dumba to a reasonable contract (and I don't know why we wouldn't), I'd feel plenty comfortable with our top-4 for the foreseeable future. As many times as both players have been rumored to be available for trade over the last 3 years, I'm glad both are still here and hope they continue to stick around.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Brodin has been elite, as usual, acquiring and moving the puck in the D zone. I am less sure of the D zone coverage, but I can say that about the entire team. It's hard to say who is responsible for what in the Wild's system.

I've thought that Brodin's play when he has the puck on his stick in the neutral and O zone is less confident than last year. I'm pretty sure that Stevens encouraged/threatened him to contribute more offensively, and it worked. His pinches are still really good.

Overall, he is a stronger player than when he was young, which allows him to be more effective along the boards, where he is very good. I think that if he went to a D poor team that demanded more of him(i.e. Scandella and BUF), he might blossom, but with Spurgeon, Suter, and Dumba(and Reilly/ Murphy) getting the lion's share of the offensive chances, his role on this team is pretty well to be a defensive Dman.

I still love watching him wriggle away from forecheckers in the Dzone, and make a sound play afterwards.

Reactions: Jesus comma Brodin

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
Yeah I gotta give it up for Brodin. Of all our guys who came up around his time, he has been one of the top guys consistently. Not flashy but he does his job really well. We are lucky to have him.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Leads Minnesota in +/- by far, and even more so among defencemen.

Brodin is +15 and the runner up is Dumba with a whopping +2. Probably just because he was paired with #21.

Still have a hard time understandi g why noone talks about him. Guess he lacks the sexy stats.

Why is he FOURTH in icetime among defencemen!?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Leads Minnesota in +/- by far, and even more so among defencemen.

Brodin is +15 and the runner up is Dumba with a whopping +2. Probably just because he was paired with #21.

Still have a hard time understandi g why noone talks about him. Guess he lacks the sexy stats.

Why is he FOURTH in icetime among defencemen!?

Dumba got ~10 games playing on the top pair and gets more PP time. Spurgeon has been top pair the other ~35 games.

His +/- this year is really odd. He's 10 higher than the next player that has played every game so far this year. His 104.6 PDO (before the Nuks game) is very high. Heavy d-zone starts, minuses in CF%rel and FF%rel. Linemates/d-pairs are usually pretty close in +/-. He's not carring the load when it comes to outright scoring, 4g/6a isn't anything special. :dunno:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If they gave 3 assists per goal he would have a lot more points, I'm guessing.

Bottom line (last night aside) is that good things happen when Brodin is on the ice.

The Wild are in very good shape with their D, and still have a guy who showed very well in a second pairing role with Brodin(Murphy) down in the AHL.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Does anyone know where I can find the video with Taylor Hall injuring Brodin back during the lockout? My friend recently got into hockey and I started talking about that and I wanted to show him.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Everyone needs to make a sacrifice to the hockey gods that his injury is not serious. This would cripple us.

Losing Brodin for an extended period will hurt, for sure, but I don't see it crippling the team. Losing Koivu (as much as I bag on him), Staal, or Suter would cripple the team (imo).

I hope it's just a minor injury for Brodin and he's day-to-day, and not week-to-week or out for the season.

Does anyone know when/how he got injured? I didn't notice it at the time.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Losing Brodin for an extended period will hurt, for sure, but I don't see it crippling the team. Losing Koivu (as much as I bag on him), Staal, or Suter would cripple the team (imo).

I hope it's just a minor injury for Brodin and he's day-to-day, and not week-to-week or out for the season.

Does anyone know when/how he got injured? I didn't notice it at the time.
I didn't catch it, but Russo had this at the time:

But now it sounds like an upper-body injury, so I dunno.

Edit: Ah, from the gamer:

With under 12 minutes left in the second period, Jonas Brodin was checked late in a shift by strong checker Vladimir Sobotka. Brodin was visibly shaken and slow to the bench after. It looked like his ankle pinned against the boards, but on replay, it also looked like Brodin pulled his shoulder tight to his chest.

Last edited:

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
He got jammed face first into the glass behind the net. His left hand went into the glass awkwardly. He played another 20 seconds of the PK but you could tell that he was holding his arm tight to his body, and he didn't want to hold his stick with that hand. Could be anything from his wrist to his shoulder.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Won a big game on the road with a division rival but lost key piece of the D. Hope it's not longer than the 5-game homestand. Hope Olofsson can cover his minutes and allow Dumba to do his thing for the time being, otherwise might be some rough games.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I guess the good news is that he'll be out for a 5-game homestand and not a 5-game roadtrip. By default I'd guess the defense looks something like:

Suter - Spurgeon
Olofsson - Dumba
Reilly - Prosser

Though it wouldn't surprise me if they tried:

Suter - Dumba
Olofsson - Spurgeon
Reilly - Prosser

Neither is great, but I don't think it's going to hamstring us.

Reactions: 57special

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad