Johnsson and Kapanen..

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Maybe. We’ll have to wait and see what happens, But I’d say the odds he ends up in a Leafs jersey are pretty minimal
They probably are minimal which is unfortunate because he'd be a great replacement for jvr.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Replacing 36 goals in one roster spot is no easy feat.

On top of that, you are relying on 2 players with close to ZERO NHL experience.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

Sure, but the team isn't replacing 36 goals. They are replacing 63 goals with 6 players, because that's how many are going and their goal production. And its not like they have relied on players with close to zero NHL experience that took the team from 31st to 6th in the league, including: Hyman, Matthews, Marner, Brown, Nylander, Zaitsev, Borgman, Dermott etc. Why the freak out over Kapanen and Johnsson? So weird. Its not like JvR, Bozak, Komarov, Moore, Plekanec and Martin got us anywhere as "team leaders".

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

I think our big 3 will score quite a bit more on their own.
Johnsson and Kapanen have looked good thus far. Kapanen was too good for the 4th line last season imo.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

People keep saying that, and there's some truth to it, but it's really hard to guess how well some players will play on our stacked PP, and with easy minutes like JvR had. He had the easiest job in the NHL. No backchecking, not hitting, no PK, no tough assignments.

Now you've got a bunch of players getting those sweet succulent minutes, I bet they see stats increases.

Ropesman

May 1, 2016
Charlottetown
I think our big three are going to score at a bit higher of a pace due to JVR and Bozak leaving. This is assuming there are minimal free agent signings and Dubas is going to fill most of or all the open roster spots with youth. If he does so Babcock will likely "shelter" his bottom 6 a bit more thus giving Matthews, Marner, and Willy higher amounts of ice time. This lessens the blow of JVR and Bozak's production and doesn't require the young guns to fill the void completely.

Ropesman

May 1, 2016
Charlottetown
I could go either way on Boyle. With hindsight I think it looks good but at the time, I would have been fine with doing it or not doing it. JVR though ... I understand the optics wouldn't be good if we had traded him at the TDL so OK, fine. The smart thing to do would have been to avoid that conundrum and just ditch him before the season started. That's what I would have done anyway, get the best offer you can get and be done with it.

With the Boyle trade i always look back at how close it actually was for us getting into the playoffs that season. Boyle really did come in and give that 4th line (and kappy) life. I wouldn't of felt as comfortable still running the 4th line we had at that point down the stretch.

When it comes to JVR i couldn't agree more. Kappy playing a full season in a semi scoring role I think would of still got us into the dance. No he probably doesnt score 36 or even 25 but i still think we make the playoffs without JVR. Not to mention how much better Kappy is defensively. This is not even taking into consideration what the bounty would of been for JVR.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
JVrs goal scoring is going to be hard to replace, but these guys are far better defensive players than him and Bozak are so that's a plus. Not getting anything at the deadline for at least one of Bozak/JvR was the mistake.

Imagine if the Leafs had traded JVR and lost to Boston in 7? And then the Caps surprised everybody to win the cup?

It would be very easy to draw the narrative that JVR potentially lost us the Stanley Cup in that alternate universe.

You don't trade key roster players for futures before a cup run. We were 6th in the league. Management played it perfectly. Made a low-cost move to shore up some depth. Didn't sacrifice big assets to make a rental deal.

Reactions: Raymoondo

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Imagine if the Leafs had traded JVR and lost to Boston in 7? And then the Caps surprised everybody to win the cup?

It would be very easy to draw the narrative that JVR potentially lost us the Stanley Cup in that alternate universe.

You don't trade key roster players for futures before a cup run. We were 6th in the league. Management played it perfectly. Made a low-cost move to shore up some depth. Didn't sacrifice big assets to make a rental deal.

To further this point...I guess Washington should have traded John Carlson. Pending UFA. Huge return. And long odds to win it all. Why even bother, right?

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Will Kapanen and Johnsson score 36 goals combined next year to replace JVR 36 goals?

Keep in mind Marner scored 22 goals and Nylander scored 20 goals (42 goals combined) last year and 19 goals and 22 goals (41 goals combined) the previous year and they're both top-end talent and top 6 and PP players. They barely combined to surpass JVR goal production.

Are you expecting Kap and Johnny to score at that level?

That's only one side of the coin.

JvR is a black-hole defensively 5v5 and that's where the output gap is bridged.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
To further this point...I guess Washington should have traded John Carlson. Pending UFA. Huge return. And long odds to win it all. Why even bother, right?

Context:
WSH top 6 scorers were aged 32, 25, 30, 28, 31 and 28.

TOR top 6 scorers were aged 20, 20, 21, 27, 28 and 23.

WSH window was closing fast whereas the Maple Leafs are just getting started.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
That's only one side of the coin.

JvR is a black-hole defensively 5v5 and that's where the output gap is bridged.

I'm a firm believer in strong defense wins and also why JVR and Bozak have to go because they're very weak defensively.

However JVR goals and PP presences in front of the opposition net particularly on the PP is going to be felt that Johnsson nor Kapanen will not fill. So giving up less goals against will need to be considered when trying to absorb the loss of a 36 goal scorer and if you toss in Bozak 11 goals that's -47 goals going out.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I think Kapanen and Johnsson can score in the mid-high teens, maybe 20ish, so anywhere from 32 to 38 combined.

Really depends on deployment.

The Leafs are losing 33 combined even strength goals from van Riemsdyk and Bozak.

Special teams will be different, but Matthews and Nylander will get increased time and opportunity there.

I expect to Kapanen and Johnsson will be a little more diligent in the d-zone, and to take some pressure off Andersen and the d-corps.

Less pressure in the d-zone means less energy expended defensively more available offensively.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Context:
WSH top 6 scorers were aged 32, 25, 30, 28, 31 and 28.

TOR top 6 scorers were aged 20, 20, 21, 27, 28 and 23.

WSH window was closing fast whereas the Maple Leafs are just getting started.

There's arguments both ways to suggest that the Caps should have been more inclined to trade for futures. If the Caps lose in overtime in game 3 vs. the Blue Jackets, they're getting torched for hanging on to Carlson. And the package for Carlson would have been significantly better than for JVR.

Nonetheless, it looks like they made the right move.

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
I was listening to someone talk about molding Kapanen into the JVR replacement. The thinking was Kappy isn't the most creative player but has great hands and a willingness to go to the net. Won't get 30 goals like JVR but might be a decent fill in on the PP.

Babcock is going to have to work harder this year than he did last year because we are going to have a few rookies on the roster just like most modern teams. Back to I am not just a coach I am a teacher stuff.

Rookies this season.
Johnson
Kapanen
Grundstrom
Dermot
Altonen
Rosen/Bergman/Oz

That's a lot of rookies. Mind you 3 of them played a lot of NHL already the others will play limited minutes.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I have a lot more confidence in Johnsson becoming a legit top-6 guy than I do in Kapanen.

Kapanen just doesn't have the IQ.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
These 2 guys are exactly why you do not sign JVR. Both are young, cheap and very skilled. I always laugh at the "How will we replace JVR's 36 goals?" comments.
Those 2 aren't going to replace JVR's offense.
Kapanen will be able to play up in the line up though and will bring much better two way play than JVR.
Johnson remains to be seen but I see him as more of a lower line player, trade fodder.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I'm a firm believer in strong defense wins and also why JVR and Bozak have to go because they're very weak defensively.

However JVR goals and PP presences in front of the opposition net particularly on the PP is going to be felt that Johnsson nor Kapanen will not fill. So giving up less goals against will need to be considered when trying to absorb the loss of a 36 goal scorer and if you toss in Bozak 11 goals that's -47 goals going out.

Actually its 63 goals if you count all 6 (Martin included) going out. I think with KK, AJ and others that will be brought in, whatever 6 forwards they turn out to be can cover 63 goals and probably stop 10-20 more from going in on our end.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I was listening to someone talk about molding Kapanen into the JVR replacement. The thinking was Kappy isn't the most creative player but has great hands and a willingness to go to the net. Won't get 30 goals like JVR but might be a decent fill in on the PP.

Babcock is going to have to work harder this year than he did last year because we are going to have a few rookies on the roster just like most modern teams. Back to I am not just a coach I am a teacher stuff.

Rookies this season.
Johnson
Kapanen
Grundstrom
Dermot
Altonen
Rosen/Bergman/Oz

That's a lot of rookies. Mind you 3 of them played a lot of NHL already the others will play limited minutes.

So actually, only 3 rookies. Not really a lot then.

Reactions: Hunter74

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I think Kapanen and Johnsson can score in the mid-high teens, maybe 20ish, so anywhere from 32 to 38 combined.

Really depends on deployment.

The Leafs are losing 33 combined even strength goals from van Riemsdyk and Bozak.

Special teams will be different, but Matthews and Nylander will get increased time and opportunity there.

I expect to Kapanen and Johnsson will be a little more diligent in the d-zone, and to take some pressure off Andersen and the d-corps.

Less pressure in the d-zone means less energy expended defensively more available offensively.

Kapanen and Johnsson will be *a lot* more diligent in the d-zone. They are skilled PKers, after all, as well as speedy offensive forwards who can score off the rush. Not to mention they both scored a lot of PP points in the AHL. They will be a whole lot more useful in all areas than JvR and Bozak, with the exception of playing expert tip-in artist and taking faceoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad