Johnson gets tossed for headbutting Iginla during fight

• Thread starter Vomiting Kermit*
  • Start date

Exique*

LOL That's supposed to be a headbutt? Nice call ref!

Here's a real one for comparison...

Eaglepride*

What a disgraceful showing by the ref. John is one tough customer guy pushed Iginla around like nothing.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Dictionary definition means nothing sorry.

If someone accidently highsticks someone in a game, its still a penalty...

The two situations don't even compare! A high stick is a high stick because there is never a reason your stick should hit someone in the face.

This is NOT a headbutt, because Johnson has every right to move his head out of the way of Iginla's fist!

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Iginla is always pissed when he loses a fight , becomes a whiny lil baby

I didn't see anywhere in him punching the dude a bunch that I'd call him "losing a fight", unless your definition of losing a fight is being unable to rock somebody's face because it's buried in your chin/chest.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Iginla was obviously trying to spark something for his team, which would be the only reason for him to go start **** with three of our guys in front of our own net. He was looking for a fight, and forced Johnson into it. You can see he has his right glove off about 2-3 punches before Johnson does. I was more annoyed that there was no instigator penalty called on him. Let's see if he has the balls to do the same when Stoner is healthy.

Iginla gets what Iginla wants, I guess.

PondShark

Mar 30, 2011
Watched the video but missed the headbutt(s). There is alot of nothing in that video.

Crisp Breakout

Jan 3, 2011
Chicago
Iginla was obviously trying to spark something for his team, which would be the only reason for him to go start **** with three of our guys in front of our own net. He was looking for a fight, and forced Johnson into it. You can see he has his right glove off about 2-3 punches before Johnson does. I was more annoyed that there was no instigator penalty called on him. Let's see if he has the balls to do the same when Stoner is healthy.

Iginla gets what Iginla wants, I guess.

Yes criticize a perennial 30-goal scorer, who has handily exceeded every scoring record the Wild have because your tough guy wasn't on the ice for him to fight. How dare that bender go after the waiver wire pick up that is his size.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Yes criticize a perennial 30-goal scorer, who has handily exceeded every scoring record the Wild have because your tough guy wasn't on the ice for him to fight. How dare that bender go after the waiver wire pick up that is his size.

Nobody is above criticism. I think he picked his spot and should've gotten an instigator.

The Wild have 11 years of existence. You're really mocking our scoring records?

Crisp Breakout

Jan 3, 2011
Chicago
Nobody is above criticism. I think he picked his spot and should've gotten an instigator.

The Wild have 11 years of existence. You're really mocking our scoring records?

How is that mocking your scoring records? The point is he's an elite player in the league, why do you expect him to go find your fighter?

Langdon Alger*

1) Iginla got hit with an accidental headbutt. That much is clear on replay; however, how's he supposed to know that when his face is two inches away from Johnson's? Blame the ref for blowing the call.

2) So three Wild players jump on Iginla, Iginla pulls one out of the pile and hands him his ass, and then all anyone can talk about is that Iginla didn't remove his helmet? Are you ****ing kidding me? What's he supposed to do, say "Pardon me, kind sirs, but could you three kindly stop mugging me so that I can get my helmet off? Wouldn't want to fight with a visor on, even though you all have them on too."

3) Teams have built Stanley Cup runs on *****ing and moaning every night about every little thing, but if you make a thread about it, it gets locked. Jarome Iginla complains about one thing one time, and we get a 10-page thread to crap on him, the Flames, the city and the fanbase.

Nothing new for HF's red-headed stepchild.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
How is that mocking your scoring records? The point is he's an elite player in the league, why do you expect him to go find your fighter?

Not arguing about his elite status, he is elite. My point is that using our scoring records as a barometer of his eliteness is foolish. I expect him to not pick out the non-fighter in a group of 3 of our guys. Johnson wanted no part of that fight, as Pittsburgh fans have already attested to the last time he fought.

Kudos to him for tying to spark his team, he just did it in a little bit of a toolish fashion. Flipping out over an accidental headbut after forcing a guy to fight is d-baggish.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
1) Iginla got hit with an accidental headbutt. That much is clear on replay; however, how's he supposed to know that when his face is two inches away from Johnson's? Blame the ref for blowing the call.

2) So three Wild players jump on Iginla, Iginla pulls one out of the pile and hands him his ass, and then all anyone can talk about is that Iginla didn't remove his helmet? Are you ****ing kidding me? What's he supposed to do, say "Pardon me, kind sirs, but could you three kindly stop mugging me so that I can get my helmet off? Wouldn't want to fight with a visor on, even though you all have them on too."

3) Teams have built Stanley Cup runs on *****ing and moaning every night about every little thing, but if you make a thread about it, it gets locked. Jarome Iginla complains about one thing one time, and we get a 10-page thread to crap on him, the Flames, the city and the fanbase.

Nothing new for HF's red-headed stepchild.

Iginla doesn't get jumped. He goes looking for it. You don't start **** with 3 guys in front of our net on a non-rebound shot if you're not. Personally I don't care if he doesn't take his helmet off. However, being the instigator of the situation, he should've been penalized for it; that's on the refs.

Since1989

Bring Back Sjostrom
Aug 20, 2010
Germany
was not a headbutt.

Id be more frustrated that Iginla started throwing punches with his visor on, and then basically stopped fighting to call for a headbutt, which wasnt even there. And got the referees to buy it.

Complete sell job by Iginla.

Hahahaha! Wait. Yeah, hahahaha.

He stopped throwing punches for all but 3 seconds. Take 5 minutes to look up Iginlas fights and you'll realize he takes his lid off in 80% of them. Sometimes it just doesn't happen due to how they start, like this one. Essentially, you're grasping at straws.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Iginla goes after Johnson, grabs him, starts throwing punches, won't take off his lid, then starts complaining mid-fight to the ref about getting bumped in the head, throws a tantrum in the box...

I never found Iginla all that classy to start with but that's pretty weak.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Whatever you say bucko.

A headbutt is a headbutt.

A punch to the face is a punch to the face so according to what you say everytime someone punches someone else in the face we should call it a fight and give both a fighting major. :clap:

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011

An elite player wearing a visor who instigates a fight with a waiver-wire pick up, then explicitly tells the ref which call to make. Promptly, the ref makes the call according to the elite player.

Sounds like professional sports. :help:

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Didn't think that was a purposeful "headbutt," seemed he was just positioning. MMA guys do it multiple times every fight. First thought was that Johnson has some MMA training.

Didn't seem like he did it on purpose. Have to love the ref yelling at Koivu like that, lol.

Billy Mays Here*

An Avs fan sticking up for a Calgary player fighting against a Wild player? What has this world come to? :huh:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
For the record...Russo has said no suspension coming from the league, the automatic for the match penalty was waived. The penalty is also likely to be completely rescinded.

In other words, the NHL has also just said Iginla was full of it.

Hope they talk to LaRue about the crap call, but that we will never know.

Tont

May 4, 2006
All you complaining about Iginla not taking off his helmet, give me a freaking break. Watch the video, the part where Iginla has three Wild players taking shots at him from all sides. He chooses one of them to teach a lesson to, and does so. When in that sequence should he have removed his helmet?

I'm not concerned about the headbutt, Johnson knew he was completely outmatched and was basically trying to avoid a broken jaw or orbital bone by hiding his face anyway he could. Bad call by the ref to give Johnson the match penalty but you can't really blame Iginla for being pissed after some scrub jumps him and then inadvertantly headbutts him several times out of self-preservation.

Crisp Breakout

Jan 3, 2011
Chicago
Not arguing about his elite status, he is elite. My point is that using our scoring records as a barometer of his eliteness is foolish. I expect him to not pick out the non-fighter in a group of 3 of our guys. Johnson wanted no part of that fight, as Pittsburgh fans have already attested to the last time he fought.

Kudos to him for tying to spark his team, he just did it in a little bit of a toolish fashion. Flipping out over an accidental headbut after forcing a guy to fight is d-baggish.

If he didn't want to fight he probably shouldn't have come over and took a couple body shots on Iginla (see first 4 seconds of video) while Iginla was already engaged with a much bigger guy.

Brent Burns

“”“Re-tooling on the fly”””
Feb 7, 2007
Ref had every right to get pissed at Koivu. If he's trying to talk to the coach, stop butting in with your 2 cents and wait til he's finished.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad