Johnson gets tossed for headbutting Iginla during fight

• Thread starter Vomiting Kermit*
  • Start date

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Looked like a headbutt to me but Iggy needs to forget about that and throw his fists. I also don't see how the visor is relevant, IIRC Iginla usually takes it off(like he should) when he scraps.

Billy Mays Here*

Get used to it Wild fans, he's a former Penguin.

As mentioned earlier, when Johnson was called up to the Pens last season, he got into a fight in Colorado, what happens? The refs sit there and let him get concussed and watch his season end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjAh7uiS32A

Well we're not mad at Johnson at all. He didn't even wanna fight but kinda had no choice after Iginla threw about 4 puches at him. We need Stoner back. He's the only one on this team that can win a fight with authority. Sawdust can't win a fight like Stoner can. Hell he can't even win a fight.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
was not a headbutt.

Id be more frustrated that Iginla started throwing punches with his visor on, and then basically stopped fighting to call for a headbutt, which wasnt even there. And got the referees to buy it.

Complete sell job by Iginla.

This. What the hell? If you wanna fight, take off your helmet/visor.

I honestly didn't even see the headbutt until they did the slow-motion replay.

The ref was a tool and disrespectful for yelling at Koivu who wanted in on the explanation. Are you that blind that you can't see the "C" on his jersey?

Yea, sometimes refs go on a power-trip. It doesn't look like Koivu was being disrespectful either. Will the ref get Shanabanned for a couple?

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
1) I find it funny that Wild fans are crying nonstop about this yet Iggys the "whiner"

2) To those saying Johnson didnt wanna fight, maybe he shouldnt have started grabbing onto Jarome freaking Iginla in a heated scrum

3) as for the visor, oh, Iginlas so classless for not taking off his helmet while three wild player jump on him, fyi Johnson didnt voluntarily take his off either.

As for the "headbutt", looked unintentional, refs make mistakes, and looked like iggy really believed it, not really a big deal, haters gonna hate I guess.

Medium Rare*

I imagine Sheriff Shanny will be dealing with this soon. Isn't a match automatically reviewed?
I believe a match penalty carries an automatic 1 game suspension and then a mandatory review. I could be wrong though

As for the headbutting, at full speed during the fight it definitely looked like he was headbutting him. But when seeing the replay it doesn't actually like like it at all anymore. But the refs don't have the luxury of replays on penalty calls.

AlexanderTheGood

I think this is an issue/argument that can easily solved by sheer logic: what purpose is there in Jarome Iginla crying foul, illegitimately, over a headbutt from Nick Johnson? To me, very little. I'm not saying that Johnson deserves a suspension, or even a match penalty, but I find the notion that Iggy--a potential HOFer--would risk his reputation on falsely accusing a Nick Johnson. Wild fans, let's get real here.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I think this is an issue/argument that can easily solved by sheer logic: what purpose is there in Jarome Iginla crying foul, illegitimately, over a headbutt from Nick Johnson? To me, very little. I'm not saying that Johnson deserves a suspension, or even a match penalty, but I find the notion that Iggy--a potential HOFer--would risk his reputation on falsely accusing a Nick Johnson. Wild fans, let's get real here.

What's to gain? You mean besides the 5 minute major pp for the Flames that resulted?

That alone is why most players take up acting...to get pps for their teams!

AlexanderTheGood

What's to gain? You mean besides the 5 minute major pp for the Flames that resulted?

They didn't score anyways, get over it. Johnson did butt heads with him three times. To me, Iginla has never been a whiner, and this doesn't come close to changing my perception. But hey, once again, let's please not lose our heads over spilt milk.

Beerfest*

Iginla is always pissed when he loses a fight , becomes a whiny lil baby

Besides the fact he won the fight..

He headbutts him at 1:42-1:43, accidental or not, it occurs.

The same way everybody else does? Do we need to send Iginla an instructional video?

Iginla takes his visor off when given the chance, ugh.

Last edited by a moderator:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
They didn't score anyways, get over it. Johnson did butt heads with him three times. To me, Iginla has never been a whiner, and this doesn't come close to changing my perception. But hey, once again, let's please not lose our heads over spilt milk.

There's a big difference between a headbutt and incidental contact. A headbutt is intentional. This was Johnson trying to avoid Iginla's fist.

Johnson was the best player in that game up to that point, and now unless the match penalty is rescinded (which hopefully it will) he faces automatic suspension for one game.

So yeah, Wild fans should be upset about that completely BS call.

Beerfest*

He headbutted him, accidental or not, it happened.
Simple as that.

There's a big difference between a headbutt and incidental contact. A headbutt is intentional. This was Johnson trying to avoid Iginla's fist.

Johnson was the best player in that game up to that point, and now unless the match penalty is rescinded (which hopefully it will) he faces automatic suspension for one game.

So yeah, Wild fans should be upset about that completely BS call.

Uh, since when does it have to be intentional?

I saw it happen..not saying it was hundred percent intentional, but he did it.

Last edited by a moderator:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Uh, since when does it have to be intentional?

I saw it happen..not saying it was hundred percent intentional, but he did it.

Try looking it up!

"The act or instance of deliberately striking someone with the head"

Deliberate means intentional!

Beerfest*

Try looking it up!

"The act or instance of deliberately striking someone with the head"

Deliberate means intentional!

Dictionary definition means nothing sorry.

If someone accidently highsticks someone in a game, its still a penalty...

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
was not a headbutt.

Id be more frustrated that Iginla started throwing punches with his visor on, and then basically stopped fighting to call for a headbutt, which wasnt even there. And got the referees to buy it.

Complete sell job by Iginla.

Johnson wears a visor too. Both threw punches with their visors on, so it was a fair fight.

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
Exactly. I was just thinking earlier in the game about how he's always a threat to us, and after seeing him destroy us a few years ago, he's one of the players I respect most in this league.

Not anymore. Unbelievable.

Well, Iginla thought that Johnson intentionally headbutted him during a fight. Cannot really blame him for complaining.

Also, the ref is an arse.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Johnson was just tucking his chin to avoid getting his head knocked off, Iginla should fight Kaleta if he wants to complain about headbutts.

Beerfest*

Exactly. I was just thinking earlier in the game about how he's always a threat to us, and after seeing him destroy us a few years ago, he's one of the players I respect most in this league.

Not anymore. Unbelievable.

Whatever you say bucko.

A headbutt is a headbutt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad