Johnson gets tossed for headbutting Iginla during fight

• Thread starter Vomiting Kermit*
  • Start date

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I love the "3 guys jump Iginla" talk, as if he was skating back to the bench and got mugged.

Anyways, my beef is less with Iginla (although he was being a huge whiner) and more with the officials that horribly botched it, and could've ended up screwing us out of 2 points.

What I do see in the video, upon closer review, is 2 bare handed punches by Iginla to Johnson's face before Johnson's gloves are even off.

mmk786

Mar 3, 2004
Yeah when the ref is explaining the call to the coach there is not reason for Koivu to chirp in. But still the ref could have been a little more diplomatic about it. Either way its not a big deal.

I am glad that the league is not going to suspend Johnson. There was no headbutt and I am not sure what Iginla was complaining about.

The most disappointing thing about the whole incident was the ref buying Iginla's version of events instead of using his own eyes as he should have done.

Wild were lucky they killed the 5 min PP.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
There was no "headbutt".

Iginla needs to focus on the fight and game instead of arguing for a call.

Koivu needs to shut the **** up when the referee is taking to his coach. That reaction from the referee was completely justified.

Basically what I got from the video.

Gary83*

atta boy iggy, too bad you didn't get a chance to tune up the other two tools.

Gary83*

Iginla goes after Johnson, grabs him, starts throwing punches, won't take off his lid, then starts complaining mid-fight to the ref about getting bumped in the head, throws a tantrum in the box...

I never found Iginla all that classy to start with but that's pretty weak.

Yeah, I love Iginla. But he's no Derek Boogard.

TheStinger

Non Omnis Moriar
Mar 30, 2009
Barcelona, Catalunya
www.facebook.com
There was no "headbutt".

Iginla needs to focus on the fight and game instead of arguing for a call.

Koivu needs to shut the **** up when the referee is taking to his coach. That reaction from the referee was completely justified.

Basically what I got from the video.

You are spot on. There was a head clash, but no intentional headbutt. I think Iggy was upset that he got surrounded and basically had to fight his way out, picked the best guy he could and then tried to get his moneys worth. Worked out fairly well for him in that sense.

As for Koivu getting yelled at by the ref, it was a pretty heated situation and the ref had probably already had eight players telling him what should happen with the calls and he has gone over to the bench specifically to talk to the coach and he doesn't need someone else, no matter if it is the captain, yapping in his ear when he is trying to explain his decisions to the coach.

Last time I checked, coach trumps captain. So everyone crying how the ref should let the captain speak, well he had already gone over the Koivu's head and was speaking to his coach. Pretty fair if you ask me.

usernam*

Yeah when the ref is explaining the call to the coach there is not reason for Koivu to chirp in. But still the ref could have been a little more diplomatic about it. Either way its not a big deal.

I am glad that the league is not going to suspend Johnson. There was no headbutt and I am not sure what Iginla was complaining about.

The most disappointing thing about the whole incident was the ref buying Iginla's version of events instead of using his own eyes as he should have done.

Wild were lucky they killed the 5 min PP.

Lol, no, we're lucky we were able to get a five minute penalty kill. That's five less minutes we had to worry about the Flames scoring.

tikkanen5rings*

Well after reviewing the evidence I must say Staubiz' facial expression is the only thing worth watching here.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
Like someone else stated on our forum, the reffing from the game last night needs to go into the next company training video. "Here is an example of unacceptable officiating..."

useless

Feb 2, 2011
So Iginla rips opponents visor-less helmet off yet keeps his visor on, and they kick the other kid out of the game?

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I like how people are saying Iggy went after him, looks to me like he grabbed the first bum laying shots on him he could and tried to make it even.. So classless for not taking his helmet off while getting attacked by three players, oh that Iggy

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
I just wished Iginla showed some class other than whining because he got a face wash, punching two players in the face a few times, not taking off his visor, crying about the fight that he started, etc. I mean he's the captain of the team. Show some class dude.

If you think Iginla has no class I don't think you are being serious.

And for all of you that complain about visor, watch any Iginla fight that both players agree to drop gloves and helmets. In fights where there are scrums, Iginla will often not drop his helmet.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
No headbutt there, Johnson was just trying to get in tight to avoid getting clocked.

Adama0905

Dec 25, 2007
Boulder, CO
So Iginla rips opponents visor-less helmet off yet keeps his visor on, and they kick the other kid out of the game?

There is a pecking order, no doubt about it. Same way Crosby is gonna get the call in a faceoff against some scrub, Iginla is gonna get the call in a fight against some scrub. If the scrub wants things to be fair, he should stop being a scrub and get some talent.

Stelio Kontos

Nov 6, 2011
was not a headbutt.

Id be more frustrated that Iginla started throwing punches with his visor on, and then basically stopped fighting to call for a headbutt, which wasnt even there. And got the referees to buy it.

Complete sell job by Iginla.

When did iginla have time to take off his helmet? Hope you dont mean he didnt have time to take his helmet offf when johnson and powe came in

iginla isnt classy? Please Iginla is a class act name some examples of him being a goon and like you would not complain if yougot headbutted? wasnt aware of how many people are hyprocites not directed at the guy i 1st quoted

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad