Value of: Johnny Hockey

LondonKendrick

Jun 18, 2016
Basically untradeable because Calgary is in love with his production and Rudy aura and other fanbases see his lack of size and that he's a winger. The asymmetry of perception discount a fair deal

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Are we just going to omit the fact that Eberle was T-15th in league scoring while Gaudreau was T-6th?

If you want to use that type of argument...
  • Eberle did not have Brodie, Giordano, Hamilton type Dmen to pass him the puck (stll doesn't), he had Jeff Petry, Corey Potter and Ryan Whitney (top 3 Oiler Dmen in 2011/12)
  • The next highest scorer on the Oilers that year had 53 points (Hall) vs. Monahan (63)
  • Eberle did not have the advantage of 3 on 3 OT to benefit his points total
  • Eberle was a +4 on a 29th place team (-27 goal differential team) similar to Gaudeau this year
  • Eberle's 17:35 TOI/GP (3:00 PP TOI/GP) vs. Gaudreau's 19:55 TOI/GP (3:36 PP TOI/GP)

I could go on but the point is his point could be valid that last year might have been Gaudreau's career season. No Oiler fan truly believed or hoped that would have been Eberle's best season but that might very well be the case.

Last edited:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I love when the same Gaudreau haters come out of the woodwork. It's like clockwork.

Some people just really love being wrong.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
I just don't see the point in the Flames trading him now. If you trade a player of his caliber at this age, what is the point of all of the CBA rules regarding RFA and such? Isn't it so that teams won't lose franchise players at his age? He is the total package, the guy you build a team around. Can't see a deal where trading him makes sense for the flames, unless they're getting another top 20 under 25 year old player in return on a 1 for 1.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Gaudreau is an unrestricted free agent in 5 years. I bet the hold up on the contract is that Johnny won't sign for any longer than this duration, and the Flames want 7

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Gaudreau is an unrestricted free agent in 5 years. I bet the hold up on the contract is that Johnny won't sign for any longer than this duration, and the Flames want 7

If Gaudreau's agent is going for 5 years, he's an idiot.

3 years or 6+ should be the only options. I think this is just the agent making a stand. This is by far their biggest ever contract negotiation so this is more than about Johnny.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Why?

He's as skilled a player as their is. His hands and vision are special. And he didn't even choose the name. He was lighting up college the same time Johnny 'Football' Manziel was play for Texas A & M. People started calling him Johnny Hockey as a mockery to Johnny Football and it stuck.

Then he and his agent went an trademarked it lol

Ashasx

Jun 30, 2010
Then he and his agent went an trademarked it lol

After it had been used on shirts with obscure language. It is a nickname that was linked with him before it was trademarked. The trademark simply helps protect his image and allows him to disassociate with things he doesn't want to be associated with.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Is it possible Johnnys side could see 5 years as a long term contract?

I think this is the point many here and especially CP don't want to think about. It's quite possible that Gaudreau may just want to play out the rest of his RFA years and deem that 'long term'.

RedHot

Fire Dave Cameron (Fired)**
Aug 6, 2014
Calgary
After it had been used on shirts with obscure language. It is a nickname that was linked with him before it was trademarked. The trademark simply helps protect his image and allows him to disassociate with things he doesn't want to be associated with.

Wouldn't bother. Don't expect the average poster to have a clue about this sort of stuff.

Wadewilson

Jun 27, 2006
Canada
Its already come out that both parties want a long term deal. The hangup is presumably on dollars per year.

I think this is the point many here and especially CP don't want to think about. It's quite possible that Gaudreau may just want to play out the rest of his RFA years and deem that 'long term'.

That's what I thought from the second I heard it. His idea of long term is the one that take him to UFA quickest.

RedHot

Aug 6, 2014
Calgary

This has exactly as much basis as the McDavid to Toronto "rumours".

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
This has exactly as much basis as the McDavid to Toronto "rumours".

Oilers have McDavid for 7 years. They wont strong arm him into 2 extra years like the Flames are doing to Gaudreau.
If McDavid is only on board for 7 years he'll be traded following the completion of year 5.
That means Flames need to trade Johnny in the summer of 2019.

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
Gaudreau @ 23 goes 30-48-78 in 79
Eberle @ 22 goes 34-42-76 in 78

But Gaudreau is ~ Patrick Kane while Eberle is borderline useless.
Because... "6th OVERALL IN SCORING LAST YEAR, YOU GUYS!!!!"

That about where we're at.. ?

RedHot

Aug 6, 2014
Calgary
Gaudreau @ 23 goes 30-48-78 in 79
Eberle @ 22 goes 34-42-76 in 78

But Gaudreau is ~ Patrick Kane while Eberle is borderline useless.
Because... "6th OVERALL IN SCORING LAST YEAR, YOU GUYS!!!!"

That about where we're at.. ?

Gaudreau tied for 6th in league scoring in 2016

Eberle tied for 15th in league scoring in 2012

That's about where we're at

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009

He's unlikely to get 5 years at anything close to his "market" rate. If he was signing a 7-8 year deal, the Flames would pay a premium for the 2-3 UFA years included. No UFA years means no premium.

The Flames likely want a 7-8-year deal. If they don't get that, they'd likely push for a 3-year bridge. But there's no way they'd want a 5-year deal and they have little incentive to offer him one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad