Value of: Johnny Hockey

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Lol Eberle sucks compared to Gaudreau. Are Oiler fans actually still bitter about being so wrong about this guy? :laugh:

victor

Sep 6, 2003
Lol Eberle sucks compared to Gaudreau. Are Oiler fans actually still bitter about being so wrong about this guy? :laugh:

They have had very similar performance in points over their first two seasons.

Eberle: 147gp - 52g - 67a - 119pts, 0.353GPG, 0.809PPG, 29.0g/gp, 66.4p/gp
Gaudreau: 159gp - 54g - 88a - 142pts, 0.339GPG, 0.893PPG, 27.8g/gp, 73.2p/gp

As to Gaudreau's value, I'd say that it largely depends on what his next contract looks like.

What will he sign for? Eberle money? Tarasenko money? More?

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
We can make excuses on both fronts.

Gaudreau hasn't had to adjust to 27 coaches during his NHL tenure.
...Gaudreau hasn't had Eakins for a coach.
Gaudreau hasn't had Sam Gagner for a #1 center.
Eberle hasn't had anything even remotely close to the D feeding him that Gaudreau has.

And this "low scoring league" thing is ridiculous. It's 4 years, people; not 40.

NHL scoring in this era is dependent on puck moving d-men. Oilers at a distinct disadvantage since Chris Pronger. I'd say Eberle on Calgary is worth at least as many points as Gaudreau when used in the same manner with the same personnel

YennoItFlames

Sep 1, 2016
What is eberle's 3rd season? Let's see how Johnny Hockey does compared to his? Lol but watch him go above and beyond and break the ppg pace I have a good feeling he'll reach 35-45 goals with 40-60 assists, he will have as many as 75-90 points in my opinion he can do better also, top 5 in league points this year

victor

Sep 6, 2003
What is eberle's 3rd season? Let's see how Johnny Hockey does compared to his? Lol but watch him go above and beyond and break the ppg pace I have a good feeling he'll reach 35-45 goals with 40-60 assists, he will have as many as 75-90 points in my opinion he can do better also, top 5 in league points this year

What's Gaudreau's contract look like?

Tarasenko's at $7.5m x 8, and put up 40 goals last year (4th in the NHL) and 74 points. Gadreau out-pointed him and contracts tend to be inflationary so I could see his agent looking for more.

$8m x 8?

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
I'm starting to think that it's all about money. Not about geography.

Johnny is just fine with Calgary. But he wants to get paaaaaid. My guess is that Lewis Gross is throwing around numbers like 10 or 10.5 per season on a longterm deal. And the Flames are nowhere near.

Treliving has about 8.6 million in cap space. That's gonna be his day before the season starts final offer. If Gaudreau doesn't go for it, then it's gonna be a holdout. I just don't see a scenario that involves him being traded.

victor

Sep 6, 2003
I'm starting to think that it's all about money. Not about geography.

Johnny is just fine with Calgary. But he wants to get paaaaaid. My guess is that Lewis Gross is throwing around numbers like 10 or 10.5 per season on a longterm deal. And the Flames are nowhere near.

Treliving has about 8.6 million in cap space. That's gonna be his day before the season starts final offer. If Gaudreau doesn't go for it, then it's gonna be a holdout. I just don't see a scenario that involves him being traded.

I can't see him traded, either. Too much risk.

Tarasenko came in at $7.5m and it sounds like most people here think that Johnny Hockey is in the same range.

$7.75m x 8?

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I don't disagree, but if you can't judge one player by a single season, you can't judge the other

I only discount Eberle's career year because it is a clear outlier out of a handful of seasons. Gaudreau really doesn't have an outlier - he can't, he has only played two seasons, it's not fair to judge based on either of his seasons. Unless, however you see something that makes you believe he will continue his near PPG production, or something to suggest he will regress to his rookie season production.

Based on the pure volume of scoring chances he creates, I tend to think Johnny will be at or near his production from last year.

victor

Sep 6, 2003
I only discount Eberle's career year because it is a clear outlier out of a handful of seasons. Gaudreau really doesn't have an outlier - he can't, he has only played two seasons, it's not fair to judge based on either of his seasons. Unless, however you see something that makes you believe he will continue his near PPG production, or something to suggest he will regress to his rookie season production.

Based on the pure volume of scoring chances he creates, I tend to think Johnny will be at or near his production from last year.

So what do you think the contract is? Bridge deal? Eberle money? Tarasenko money? Higher?

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
It's been 6 years since he scored 30, I have 2 friends that are Oiler fans who bet with their heart every year and I end up with a free golf membership because of it. Think about it pal, Eberle is trending down and Gaudreau is trending up! yeah you could get lucky but I would take that bet all day long and give double odds on sundays.

Look at Gaudreau vs Eberle linemates.

So by your logic, Marchand is a better player than Crosby because he scored more goals? That's almost as bad as the initial Eberle/Gaudreau comparison.

Only way Eberle scores 30 is if he's riding shotgun alongside McDavid. Gaudreau creates his offence. I wonder how many Gaudreau scores if he plays with one of the best/most dynamic players in the world.

You came to the bolded conclusion, not I. All I said is I think Eberle scores more goals than Gaudreau this season.

Eberle will be riding shotgun to McDavid.

Gaudreau wouldn't be as great as you think with McDavid; McDavid is at his best (and likely better than anyone else in the league) when he carries the puck. Gaudreau is likely at his best when he is carrying the puck as well.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Centres MacKinnon and Monahan are 6.3m and 6.375
Winger Gaudreau will be below this #

I guarantee Gaudreau gets more than 6.3 million.
So what do you think the contract is? Bridge deal? Eberle money? Tarasenko money? Higher?

I would honestly think the Tarasenko deal is a pretty accurate comparison as far as dollars go. 7.5 seems right to me, give or take. I know Freidman reported that both parties were talking long term, but I don't think the Flames would want 7, give that Monahan signed for 7. I don't think Flames will want both guys expiring in the same year again, though it's certainly not out of the question.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
If this was the case, wouldn't Calgary have signed this by now?

There are lots of reasons this deal isn't signed right now, I'm sure. There could be many parts they are close on, and a few they are far. It could be anything.

Or, it's not 7.25 but 8.25 that Johnny wants instead...who knows.

If I'm Brad I don't pay him more than 7.5, then again I'm one of the few who wants shorter term lower cap. I'm totally ok with a bridge deal.

YennoItFlames

Sep 1, 2016
2 years worth 5.5m each? Then it's a 2/3 or 5/7 year contract, depending on Johnny wanting to stay a Flame or go splash ufa? Lol

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
I guarantee Gaudreau gets more than 6.3 million.

I would honestly think the Tarasenko deal is a pretty accurate comparison as far as dollars go. 7.5 seems right to me, give or take. I know Freidman reported that both parties were talking long term, but I don't think the Flames would want 7, give that Monahan signed for 7. I don't think Flames will want both guys expiring in the same year again, though it's certainly not out of the question.

Are you joking?
Tarasenko is the Bure to Gaudreau as Doug Gilmour.
Gilmour was a star hockey player, but Bure is in the upper class of elite talents. Lift you out of your seat, generate ticket sales kind of player.
If Tarasenko is 7.5 the Gaudreau is 6.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Are you joking?
Gilmour was a star hockey player, but Bure is in the upper class of elite talents. Lift you out of your seat, generate ticket sales kind of player.

Do you know who Gaudreau is? You literally described him, "Lift you out of your seat, generate ticket sales kind of player". He's an electric, premier offensive power in this league. Don't kid yourself. He's easily worth 7+.

flamesburnoil

Feb 18, 2015
A lot of Johnny fans here have their blinders on. Reality check.
JG is worth 20-30% less contract than Monahan.
Why?
1. He's a winger
2. He's 5'6"
3. He plays one end of the ice
4. Because of 2. he has limited function.

This is not Theo Fleury 5'6"
He's basically Jordan Eberle...and Jordan aint worth 6million.

Problem the best statement yet Fleury was a beast Johnny is a marty st lous

Major Happy*

May 2, 2016
Are you joking?

Gaudreau is better then Tarasenko

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino