Value of: Johnny Hockey

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
Gaudreau is better then Tarasenko

Ok lets not get carried away here. He is not better than Tarasenko, yet.
Gaudreau is amazing though and it is nice to see the flames have an exciting winger to watch. Us Oiler fans know the feeling of watching a young winger score nice goals. :)
Gaudreau would return a good haul. All depends on the team he goes to and what the flames would be looking for. He is gonna sign the flames and stay there for awhile.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
He deserves a contract like Tarasenko. He is every bit as exciting, and a clutch player and the production matches up very well.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
If Gaudreau wants NJ why not just send him there for Taylor Hall? Both kids come home.
Gaudreau can give the Devils a hometown discount and sign for the identical 6M contract that Hall has.
New thread about this proposal

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Ive seen Gaudreau play.
You are quite clearly a homer.

Monahan is worth more than his contract. I think Johnny is 6M, but Monahan worth 7.5 based on his greater contributions and value to the team. You got the wrong guy as your team MVP

So every non-flames fan who agrees 7+ is accurate (which is the vast majority by the way) are also homers? I don't think so.

Monahan is my favourite Flames forward, and even I don't think he's worth more than Gaudreau. Monahan's contract is fair right now, but will likely become a steal in a few years, I'll give you that though. But Monahan is not more valuable to the Flames, than Gaudreau right now.

7.5 is not a homer number... In fact wouldn't it be the opposite? Wouldn't I want a low number for my team? Fact is, 7.5 is a very reasonable explanation, no bias in it at all.

Last edited:

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Ive seen Gaudreau play.

Monahan is worth more than his contract. I think Johnny is 6M, but Monahan worth 7.5 based on his greater contributions and value to the team. You got the wrong guy as your team MVP

As a huge Monahan fan, you're wrong.

usascout1

Nov 2, 2012
yea, Gaudreau is better.

Agree Gaudreau is better. No one is able to put a big hit on him due to his awareness and elusiveness. Have seen him live many many times and am always amazed how little he gets hit. He is stronger on the ice than people think.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
Being able to avoid hits is nice and all but I prefer the guy who's stats are comparable but he's known as "Tank"

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
The two seasons in question, Eberle had the same coach (Renney). And his 2 most common linemates in 2011-2012? Two 1st overall picks in RNH and Hall. He very rarely played with Gagner in his first two seasons.

Meanwhile, Gaudreau played half his rookie season being centered by Jooris or Granlund.

Wouldn't that tend to support Eberle? The only time he's been allowed a coach for longer than 45 minutes, and Gagner-free with two talented line mates (one of whom was the RNH who was actually allowed to play offense; not the one we see now who has been told he has to become this defensive beast)....Eberle has his career year. I'm not sure how that's a bad thing.

He's had 5 head coaches in the 4 years since that 34 goal year.
- 1.5 of those were under Eakins, who was an absolute player-killer.
- 2.5 under a combination of Krueger, MacT, Nelson, and McLellan. I can't imagine that's an easy thing.
- Off of a significant injury last year but with an actual NHL level coach for the first time, he's back on pace for 30 goals.

Meanwhile, Gaudreau has spent his NHL life with D who can actually pass the puck as opposed to just ringing it around the boards, under Hartley, and the vast majority of his time stapled to Monahan's side. (Half the season with Jooris or Granlund is an exaggeration- Monahan was far and away his most common line mate.)

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
I love how knowledgeless Oilers fans are about Russell, Engelland, Wideman, Smid. Or Monahan/Granlund as centres for that matter.

1) "Knowledgeless" is maybe not the best word choice when trying to point out someone else's ignorance..
2) Oilers fans know nothing about Smid...? Seriously?
3) Are you saying Monahan's not a quality center?
4) Did you really just use your 4th, 5th, 6th and 9th defensemen as reasons why the Flames D shouldn't be used in Gaudreau's plus column? :laugh: Smid played 250 minutes last season, I'm sure he was a real detriment to Johnny..
Fun stat: the 4 D you mentioned, combined, are still 1900 minutes shy of your top 3. Nine. Teen. Hundred. That's an entire season of Giordano or Brodie.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
1) "Knowledgeless" is maybe not the best word choice when trying to point out someone else's ignorance..
2) Oilers fans know nothing about Smid...? Seriously?
3) Are you saying Monahan's not a quality center?
4) Did you really just use your 4th, 5th, 6th and 9th defensemen as reasons why the Flames D shouldn't be used in Gaudreau's plus column? :laugh: Smid played 250 minutes last season, I'm sure he was a real detriment to Johnny..
Fun stat: the 4 D you mentioned, combined, are still 1900 minutes shy of your top 3. Nine. Teen. Hundred. That's an entire season of Giordano or Brodie.

Monahan is good, but he's no better than RNH. But the Flames D have definitely been far and away better puck movers (and offensively in general) than the Oilers D, even taking into account the tragic bottom pairing of Smid/Engelland and the fact that Russell/Wideman couldn't properly defend the theory of evolution, much less an NHL team.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Wouldn't that tend to support Eberle? The only time he's been allowed a coach for longer than 45 minutes, and Gagner-free with two talented line mates (one of whom was the RNH who was actually allowed to play offense; not the one we see now who has been told he has to become this defensive beast)....Eberle has his career year. I'm not sure how that's a bad thing.

He's had 5 head coaches in the 4 years since that 34 goal year.
- 1.5 of those were under Eakins, who was an absolute player-killer.
- 2.5 under a combination of Krueger, MacT, Nelson, and McLellan. I can't imagine that's an easy thing.
- Off of a significant injury last year but with an actual NHL level coach for the first time, he's back on pace for 30 goals.

Meanwhile, Gaudreau has spent his NHL life with D who can actually pass the puck as opposed to just ringing it around the boards, under Hartley, and the vast majority of his time stapled to Monahan's side. (Half the season with Jooris or Granlund is an exaggeration- Monahan was far and away his most common line mate.)

His most common line mate was actually Hudler, and he didn't start playing with Monahan frequently until about mid February, before that he was mostly with Jooris or Granlund

Wadewilson

Jun 27, 2006
Canada
So what did your best friend tell you his ask are??

Poke fun all you want but this new article is really close to what my cousin told me (that Johnnys asking for Stamkos numbers) and that Calgary doesn't want to go over their Gio cap

http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/09/0...n-contract-negotiations-as-high-as-15-million

Sources say Gaudreau’s agent, Lewis Gross, is asking for a payday in the $8-million range while the Flames are pushing to pay between what Sean Monahan signed for ($6.375 million annual average value) and what captain Mark Giordano makes (a team-high $6.75 million AAV).

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
Ive seen Gaudreau play.

This is wrong, Monahan is worth his contract, not more, not less.

And Gaudreau is alot better than Monahan.

Clearly you aren't very knowledgeable on this matter, and i'm an oiler fan before you start calling me a homer.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
This is wrong, Monahan is worth his contract, not more, not less.

And Gaudreau is alot better than Monahan.

Clearly you aren't very knowledgeable on this matter, and i'm an oiler fan before you start calling me a homer.

I don't get why it would be homerism to think Gaudreau is better than Monahan.

Wouldn't a homer think Gaudreau is the best player in the league haha

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Ive seen Gaudreau play.

I'm sorry, but you're wrong. Johnny is a much better hockey player than Monahan.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I like Gaudreau more, but they are both excellent players.

Different players . Johnny thinks the game better then Hall . Hall more of a bull in a china shop uses his speed off the rush . He also very underrated play maker . Hall takes more hits the way he plays and that could limit his career . Johnny is just a smarter player and can avoid those hits , but if he takes a hard hit with his size he could lose his edge .

Johnny = 10
Hall = 9.2

As of today if we go with only these 2 winger .

Note I am only using this to show the slight difference . Also keep in mind I was one of the few Oilers fans that wanted Hall traded .

nerblet

Aug 9, 2015
Lol this is funny. Oilers and flames fans trying to convince the other side their own player is worse. Good thing the off season is almost over

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
His most common line mate was actually Hudler, and he didn't start playing with Monahan frequently until about mid February, before that he was mostly with Jooris or Granlund

Right you are, poor choice of words on my part - 'center' is where I was going with that and what I should have said.

That's a good point though. Hudler was his most common line mate (by a lot) and he was a PPG player in 14-15. So this argument that Gaudreau was playing with 4th line scrubs doesn't really hold up.

I don't know about the mid-February thing...that seems wrong, but I guess maybe if his ice time significantly increased after that..? 50% of his time that year was spent with Monahan, so if 75% of the season was spent away from him, that doesn't add up? Unless I'm missing something...which is entirely possible as it did happen once before, many years ago.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Right you are, poor choice of words on my part - 'center' is where I was going with that and what I should have said.

That's a good point though. Hudler was his most common line mate (by a lot) and he was a PPG player in 14-15. So this argument that Gaudreau was playing with 4th line scrubs doesn't really hold up.

I don't know about the mid-February thing...that seems wrong, but I guess maybe if his ice time significantly increased after that..? 50% of his time that year was spent with Monahan, so if 75% of the season was spent away from him, that doesn't add up? Unless I'm missing something...which is entirely possible as it did happen once before, many years ago.

If you're talking about 15-16 then yes Monahan and Gaudreau played most of the season together, but if you're talking about 14-15 then you are mistaken, besides power-play Monahan and Gaudreau didn't play with each other frequently until February. In the case that my eyes are deceiving me, please post the source as to where you got that they spent 50% of the season together.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
I dunno, I'm a neutral observer but given Gaudreaus importance to the franchise, his production now and in the future, etc. I'm thinking that he should command a 7mm avv contract over say 6 yrs. front loaded with bonuses so this will give him financial stability as well as the fact that he is young enough to cash in on a nice 2nd contract into his 30s if he is who he says he is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad