Waived: Johnny Brodzkini

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Awesome. Can't wait for a power forward prospect who's comp'd to peak Ryan Malone potentially, that might turn into a second/third liner wth solid offensive skills someday, to be typecast as another fourth line grinder. MAYBE HE CAN HIT STUF!!!
That's where he is going to start. Who's minutes is he going to take on the 3rd line?

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Brodzinski is better at faceoffs and it's not particularly close.

Brodzinski has won a majority of his faceoffs in the NHL and the other guy has lost a majority of his.

People make fun of the analytics but shit like that is why I keep going to them. Without stats, we make things up and just believe it.

I'm not sure about the above. I mean, Jake is a young guy @ 23 and their face of numbers this year are:

Jake: 78 / 74 51.3%
Brod: 50 / 44 53.2%

That's not exactly "not particularly close" or losing the majority. Let's keep in mind, too, that one is 29 years old and has a hell of a lot more pro experience than the other guy.

Career wise their 50.7 and 48% and one guy has six years on the other.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I'm not sure about the above. I mean, Jake is a young guy @ 23 and their face of numbers this year are:

That's not exactly "not particularly close" or losing the majority. Let's keep in mind, too, that one is 29 years old and has a hell of a lot more pro experience than the other guy.

And Jake is the one that has little potential and is worth taking a chance on, and the other is a career AHL NHL tweener. So yea lets keep the older AHL vet. Some fans love their AHL vets. lets keep the minor league scrub 😂 a reason he is 29 and not an NHL regular even on the 3rd or 4th line. He is not that good. He brings speed and that’s it really.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

2% is not that close in faceoffs

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015
Awesome. Can't wait for a power forward prospect who's comp'd to peak Ryan Malone potentially, that might turn into a second/third liner wth solid offensive skills someday, to be typecast as another fourth line grinder. MAYBE HE CAN HIT STUF!!!
I don’t understand your issue here. He’s projected as a bottom 6er. If everything breaks right a good middle 6er. Starting on the 4th line would be fine for a player like that.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
I don’t understand your issue here. He’s projected as a bottom 6er. If everything breaks right a good middle 6er. Starting on the 4th line would be fine for a player like that.
OK, then let him try light it up in Hartford another year. I fail to see what 8 minutes a game playing alongside plugs like Blais and Leschyshyn in the NHL will do for him.

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015
OK, then let him try light it up in Hartford another year. I fail to see what 8 minutes a game playing alongside plugs like Blais and Leschyshyn in the NHL will do for him.
I’m not one of the ones calling for him to be brought up, so no disagreement there. However, he’ll most likely slot in on the 4th whenever he does make the team and then his play will determine where he goes from there.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Brodzinski added some speed at times but he isn't changing the trajectory of this team. Brodz was given more opportunity over the last couple years to show something than he most in the organization with his skill set. The team is gearing up for a trade, I'd expect Blais to be included and when it all shakes out Brodz wont be on the radar imo

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
Players don't really get better at faceoffs past D+2.

That’s complete bullshit.

Yes, it is bullshit. It is not uncommon for players to spend 4 or 5 seasons around or below 50% and then show considerable improvement later in their careers.

This post is a couple of years old, but it has a few examples:

I've also checked the top 10 in faceoff percentage for this year, and the average age is 32.7 with 8 out of 10 being 30 or older. Faceoffs are usually a veteran's game.

Reactions: haohmaru

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yes, it is bullshit. It is not uncommon for players to spend 4 or 5 seasons around or below 50% and then show considerable improvement later in their careers.

This post is a couple of years old, but it has a few examples:

I've also checked the top 10 in faceoff percentage for this year, and the average age is 32.7 with 8 out of 10 being 30 or older. Faceoffs are usually a veteran's game.
So we're going to wait for Leschyshyn to get as good at faceoffs as Brodzinski already is?

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
So we're going to wait for Leschyshyn to get as good at faceoffs as Brodzinski already is?

I don't really care about Brodzinski or Leschyshyn. They are both nothing players at the NHL level. But the statement that a 20 year old is as good at faceoffs as he will get is just not supported by the data I have seen.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don't really care about Brodzinski or Leschyshyn. They are both nothing players at the NHL level. But the statement that a 20 year old is as good at faceoffs as he will get is just not supported by the data I have seen.
I could be wrong.

There's something that everyone thinks vets get good at and there was a study that said very few guys get good at it past year 2.

Maybe it wasn't faceoffs.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Wasn't face offs one reason they stated as to why he was acquired? I thought I remember seeing that.
Tbh I just tune the Rangers out after awhile so they could have said anything, but I know he's a career 48% guy.

Like, I could totally picture (let's say) Joe taking a guy who just sucks and being like "he wins faceoffs, Sam" and like, he doesn't.

Kevin Rooney comes to mind. He's comically bad at faceoffs and would you think that if I didn't tell you that?

"Wins faceoffs" is one of those things that gets said about bottom sixers even though it's extremely measurable and objective. That part of what I said is true.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
This move will help Hartford considerably. On top of that, it's good to know the Rangers have a depth forward option who can be inputted as needed in Brodzinski. Low-key good move getting him signed for this year and next when it was done.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Tbh I just tune the Rangers out after awhile so they could have said anything, but I know he's a career 48% guy.

Like, I could totally picture (let's say) Joe taking a guy who just sucks and being like "he wins faceoffs, Sam" and like, he doesn't.

Kevin Rooney comes to mind. He's comically bad at faceoffs and would you think that if I didn't tell you that?

"Wins faceoffs" is one of those things that gets said about bottom sixers even though it's extremely measurable and objective. That part of what I said is true.

He's a good kid, and he works hard, ok? :sarcasm:

markymarc1215

Jan 8, 2023
Southwest Florida
Johnny B is who he is. A solid AHL player who can provide a few minutes on the 4th line in the NHL if needed as a call up. But not any long term solution to a playoff teams 4C. And there is nothing wrong with that. The problem becomes when players like him start playing every game and get consistent ice time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad