John Tavares Discussion

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
A hypothetical situation that will likely never happen, but one that I wanted to mention:

1) IF at/before the draft, the Canucks came up with a package to land Erik Karlsson from the Senators. (7thOA+?).

2) We signed John Tavares to a near max cap hit/contract.

Would this team be a playoff team?
Only if they sign the Easter Bunny as backup goalie.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
We should have a poll for how many people want Tavares here
Would I want Tavares here? I mean, hell yes! Do I think it's remotely plausible that it would actually happen now that the NYI finally have good management and ownership after forever? Not a chance. It's several cuts below the "Will Stamkos sign in Toronto?" level speculation.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Only if they sign the Easter Bunny as backup goalie.

Fair enough and point taken.

Given the fact that Karlsson will be a UFA in a short time, I don’t think that trading for him (relatively speaking) will be *too* difficult.

Given Karlsson’s UFA status in a short time, I would argue that trading for Karlsson would have a similar level of a difficulty to that of trading for Hanifin.

I would NOT give up 7th overall + Virtanen + ??? For Hanifin.

I WOULD give up 7th overall + Virtanen + ??? for Karlsson provided that the “???” was not one of Boeser, Horvat, or Pettersson.

To be conservative, let’s just say that the following package gets your Karlsson:

2018 1st, 2019 1st, Virtanen, and Gaudette.

You make this trade before July 1st.

This shows a guy like Tavares that you’re serious about winning now. You then offer Tavares the McDavid deal. Or something even slightly more.....for 91 million over 7 years (13 million per).

Baertschi-Tavares-Boeser
Dahlen-Horvat-Pettersson
Leipsic-Gagner-Goldobin
Gaunce-Sutter-Eriksson (4th line gets replaced by a much cheaper 4th line in a few years).

Edler-Eriksson
Juolevi-Tanev
Pouliot-Gudbranson

Markstrom
Demko

At the end of 2018, if Tanev has a healthy season, you can recoup one of the lost first round picks from the Karlsson trade by trading Tanev for a lower 1st round pick.

Meh - none of this will happen but a man can dream.

@skyo - I dedicate this post you!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad