John Tavares Discussion

NucksRock

May 16, 2018
No interest as adding him just makes us good enough to miss playoffs with a worse draft position. Canucks need to hit on draft this year and hopefully another top 5 pick next year then I'd consider signing a top UFA. Lets say we get a top 4 D this draft or a top 6F then add another next year in draft. Those 2 along with Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Demko and hopefully 2-3 of Virtanen, Lind, Juolevi, Gaudette etc.... would give us a core that I'd be willing to add to. Were not there yet and probably won't be for another 2 years but never know could have alot of our guys surprise next season. Didn't add Tanev to core group heading forward as would like to trade him now or next season for a younger player that fits our age group moving forward.

Reading this just showed me how weak our D is moving forward wow. Ouch!

well said, agree with all. And yes we need to really address our D. If we get Tryamkin back, and draft a good one this year, wherever we pick him even 2nd round etc. that changes in a hurry.

Personally, I trade Tanev at the deadline, hoping he stays healthy all year, for a young RD and a 2nd. Focus on a RD ready to make the jump with a team that's 'going for it' who will overpay. That solves the issue. We don't need forwards.

Reactions: Katani Kalan

NucksRock

May 16, 2018
Certainly send in an offer or kick the tires on an offer.
for sure, you have to. Don't ask you don't get but it's unlikely he picks a team in the middle of a rebuild. If that's the case stay in NYI because they are further ahead (arguably) than us, and he'll get bank regardless.

NucksRock

May 16, 2018
Hotstove saying Lou Lamoriello going to NYI and he's already spoken with Tavares . So he's going to make moves to Keep Tavares is my guess. Committ to surrounding him with the right group. Tanev for the 13th or 14th? Please!!

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Tavares isn't coming here.

The Canucks focus needs to be on letting actual Tavares suitors know that they are flexible in terms of taking large contracts so that those teams have the cap space for Tavares.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Have you seen how long Y2k’s posts are?

Only the ones where I have to be thorough to completely destroy your pro-Benning agenda because of all the jumping around those posts are like. I noticed you still haven't bothered with a response...I'll just assume it's because you can't refute them.

Doyle Hargraves

May 11, 2018
Pigs will fly in a frozen hell before Tavares would sign here. We might literally be #31 out of 31 destinations on his priority list.
Who are the teams with cap space this summer?

I’d agree that Vancouver isn’t very attractive with the current construction of the team. I don’t think it’s quite 31 out of 31 but it’s likely in the bottom 10 for him.

I see both St Louis and San Jose being teams that will take a run at him and both teams would be highly competitive if he were to sign there. Elliot Friedman brought up Pittsburgh as a team that could maybe offer him a 2 or 3 year deal for 6 million per and a chance to win a cup

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Islanders still the most likely landing spot for him? Or what is the consensus?

Is Carolina crazy talk? They lack a goalie to make a run, but that is such a crap shoot these days you never know what you get it seems.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I’d agree that Vancouver isn’t very attractive with the current construction of the team. I don’t think it’s quite 31 out of 31 but it’s likely in the bottom 10 for him.

I see both St Louis and San Jose being teams that will take a run at him and both teams would be highly competitive if he were to sign there. Elliot Friedman brought up Pittsburgh as a team that could maybe offer him a 2 or 3 year deal for 6 million per and a chance to win a cup

Philly and NJ are both Eastern playoff teams with cap space that he probably wouldn't even have to sell his house to sign for.

And yeah, honestly? Calgary might be the only less-desirable destination for a player like this right now. Our combination of bad team/bad travel and bad location/rainy climate is as unattractive as it gets for an east coast-based free agent.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Management are not doing their job if they don't kick the tires on Tavares and Carlson. That said, no chance we land Tavares. We should save our cash for the following off-season. I would also consider Stastny, but if not one of those three, we should be picking up contracts and signing guys we can trade at the deadline. That's what a smart GM would do.

Reactions: Doyle Hargraves

Doyle Hargraves

May 11, 2018
Philly and NJ are both Eastern playoff teams with cap space that he probably wouldn't even have to sell his house to sign for.

And yeah, honestly? Calgary might be the only less-desirable destination for a player like this right now. Our combination of bad team/bad travel and bad location/rainy climate is as unattractive as it gets for an east coast-based free agent.

I never thought of Philly. That team could be a powerhouse if they added JT and a goalie. Who knows maybe Carter Hart is ready

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I sense another Stamkos situation.....Tavares will get linked with half the teams in the NHL before re-signing on the Island. But if by some unlikelihood he hits the market on July 1st, Jersey, Leafs and Habs have the inside track imo.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Almost any team can create cap space after signing Tavares, as teams can exceed it over the summer. With the cap expected to rise already it creates more room for other teams plus makes it more likely other teams can take on a contract from the Tavares-winning team.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore

Once you throw our outrageously high cost of living in the mix we trump Calgary as bottom destinations go. Montreal has crept into the mix lately as well I would say. But we're holding down the bottom spot over here.

jonnygf40

Oct 23, 2009
Management are not doing their job if they don't kick the tires on Tavares and Carlson. That said, no chance we land Tavares. We should save our cash for the following off-season. I would also consider Stastny, but if not one of those three, we should be picking up contracts and signing guys we can trade at the deadline. That's what a smart GM would do.
I've been telling my buddies at work that we should push for Statsny for a while now. Apparently he has been awesome with the younger guys in Winnipeg, sounds pretty Sedin like. I hear the Jets would love to keep him, but cap hell is upon them.

Dahlen Horvat Boeser
Virtanen Statsny Petterson
Baertschi Gaudette Erikson
Leipsic Sutter Granlund
Gagner Gaunce Motte

Reactions: lousy

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
we have a dump truck full of cash and it is credible we would spend it and overpay to get him. so, assuming tavares goes to the market, a smart agent would include the canucks in discussions to force other teams to dig deep. which means i think we will be in the mix. actually being in on the kill would require that we significantly outbid more attractive destinations and that tavares likes the city/team.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
With Kane signing for seven years at $7m per in S.J. , a player who's never scored 30 goals in the league, can you imagine what Tavares would cost the Canucks on money and term?....wouldn't happen, even if the player was interested.

More likely to Canucks with their cap space are willing to take on a 'real bad contract' in order to free up some other assets or picks. That's why the Carolina rumor might have some legs....Previous GM signed career back-up Scott Darling to a terrible contract, which I'm sure the new guy Waddell would love to dump....but it's gong to cost him.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
we have a dump truck full of cash and it is credible we would spend it and overpay to get him. so, assuming tavares goes to the market, a smart agent would include the canucks in discussions to force other teams to dig deep. which means i think we will be in the mix. actually being in on the kill would require that we significantly outbid more attractive destinations

...like we do with every UFA we have signed in the last 20 years or so...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad