John Tavares Discussion

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
...like we do with every UFA we have signed in the last 20 years or so...

Did we significantly outbid on Hamhuis? Malhotra? Vrbata? Demitra?

Other than Miller and Sundin, who did we “significantly” over pay for? I mean, outside of offering the most, which is usually how you get a UFA to sign with you.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Did we significantly outbid on Hamhuis? Malhotra? Vrbata? Demitra?

Other than Miller and Sundin, who did we “significantly” over pay for? I mean, outside of offering the most, which is usually how you get a UFA to sign with you.

To be fair even Sundin was not a significant over pay. The original offer was, but didn't he sign for like 6 mil pro rated? Please do correct if I am wrong.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
To be fair even Sundin was not a significant over pay. The original offer was, but didn't he sign for like 6 mil pro rated? Please do correct if I am wrong.

I thought it was $8M and then pro rated for the 1/2 season. It was a ludicrous amount but at that point we had the space and he was sitting comfortably retired on a lake somewhere in Sweden. The offer needed to be an “overpay” to get his attention, not because Vancouver is a toxic destination or whatever crap Zippie keeps pushing because nobody likes Sam Gagner.

member 290103

I just want to give my props to Dwayne "Eklund" Klessel. I mean, this is a guy that was nothing more than a bit player in a bar band who had a dream.....a dream to make up shit left, right and centre, manufacture media credentials and get people to actually discuss his balderdash as though it was fact.

The man is a genius. I have to hand it to him.

Canuxxx

Aug 10, 2008
I just want to give my props to Dwayne "Eklund" Klessel. I mean, this is a guy that was nothing more than a bit player in a bar band who had a dream.....a dream to make up **** left, right and centre, manufacture media credentials and get people to actually discuss his balderdash as though it was fact.

The man is a genius. I have to hand it to him.

How dare you disrespect President Trump like that

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Tavares might think Boeser is who he wants on his line? That actually makes some sense. Obviously, Canucks would be filled with delight to have somebody to feed Boeser!

Tavares will cost salary only. O'Reilly would cost assets in a trade. Either give the Canucks a pretty solid top six. Tavares is better, IMO and leaves Canucks the option to trade for a defenseman. Guys like Weber, Subban and Karlsson are possibly on the move. It might deplete the coffers but if you have Tavares on board it becomes more doable and sensible.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
probably hoping for a nice offer from Vancouver so his agent can use that to bargain against other teams.

other then that can't see it happening, we are rebuilding, plus I rather tank another year.

member 290103

Remember, "Peklund?"

"Hi, my name is Peklund. I am just a fraud really. I once listened to a hockey game on the radio as a kid while my mom threw tennis balls at my head. This made me an expert on NHL rumours. So now I pull them from my ass on a daily basis. Will you give me all your money?"

My "P" System

P1...I made it up

P2...I made it up with an imaginary source in my head

P3...I saw it on a message board and thought it made sense

P4...I saw it on Spector's

P5...I saw it on TSN and confirmed it as my own

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
probably hoping for a nice offer from Vancouver so his agent can use that to bargain against other teams.

other then that can't see it happening, we are rebuilding, plus I rather tank another year.

We're not really rebuilding, but I can't see why Tavares would want to come to this mess. Your point about leveraging Vancouver's offers against other teams makes sense though.

member 290103

We're not really rebuilding, but I can't see why Tavares would want to come to this mess. Your point about leveraging Vancouver's offers against other teams makes sense though.

It's really the only thing that makes sense. The only way I could see Vancouver having a shot is if they offered a near max deal and Tavares was simply out to sign with the highest bidder. The latter seems very unlikely.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
A hypothetical situation that will likely never happen, but one that I wanted to mention:

1) IF at/before the draft, the Canucks came up with a package to land Erik Karlsson from the Senators. (7thOA+?).

2) We signed John Tavares to a near max cap hit/contract.

Would this team be a playoff team?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2