John Tavares Discussion

Canuxxx

Aug 10, 2008
Everyone knows Johnny T. becomes a UFA July 1st, arguably becoming the most notable free agent of the salary cap era. He will receive many massive offers from different suitors and the outcome will ultimately boil down to what Tavares values most (money, the opportunity to win now, etc).

Since a player of this talent hits free agency once in a blue moon, it would be almost foolish to not make an offer. However, for a team like the Canucks, the decision is not as cut and dry as it seems. They have just entered the first stage of a full blown rebuild, they are slowly but surely moving some of their blue-chip prospects up through the system, and most importantly, they are in no position to win anything for at least the next few years.

Having said that, it seems blatantly obvious that the Canucks would need to offer Tavares a contract similar to or even larger than Connor Mcdavid's to have a reasonable shot at landing him. So my question is, do you make that offer? Do you slightly overpay one of the best players in the league to come join your rebuilding squad for the next 5-7 years and lead the team to greatness? Does it even matter? Would Tavares ever consider coming here even if the canucks offered him maximum salary for maximum term?

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
No because even with Tavares this team would only be borderline playoffs (like the Islanders). This team needs at least two more seasons of truly sucking and hopefully that we finally hit the jackpot and get a #1 pick and can get that young franchise center/dman.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I doubt it. It wouldn't have progressed this far into the offseason if he was intending to resign. The Isles majorly dropped the ball

They have a lot of time and are reportedly bringing in Lou Lamoriello to get things done.

Stamkos re-signed with the Lightning on June 29th. It is May 21.

It is probably 75% he stays in New York but in the 25% he doesn't, it's basically zero he would come here. We would have to make an offer out of due diligence but the CBA doesn't allow us to offer enough money to outbid much better teams.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
No interest as adding him just makes us good enough to miss playoffs with a worse draft position. Canucks need to hit on draft this year and hopefully another top 5 pick next year then I'd consider signing a top UFA. Lets say we get a top 4 D this draft or a top 6F then add another next year in draft. Those 2 along with Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Demko and hopefully 2-3 of Virtanen, Lind, Juolevi, Gaudette etc.... would give us a core that I'd be willing to add to. Were not there yet and probably won't be for another 2 years but never know could have alot of our guys surprise next season. Didn't add Tanev to core group heading forward as would like to trade him now or next season for a younger player that fits our age group moving forward.

Reading this just showed me how weak our D is moving forward wow. Ouch!

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Canuxxx

Aug 10, 2008
They have a lot of time and are reportedly bringing in Lou Lamoriello to get things done.

Stamkos re-signed with the Lightning on June 29th. It is May 21.

It is probably 75% he stays in New York but in the 25% he doesn't, it's basically zero he would come here. We would have to make an offer out of due diligence but the CBA doesn't allow us to offer enough money to outbid much better teams.

The Stamkos situation was different... everyone knew he was resigning and it just took to the 24th hour to get it done. If anything, a new shift in management only deteriorates things further IMO.

But yea, good point about our offer not being big enough to outbid much better teams. A team like SJ could offer him something similar $ wise and be a way better landing spot for him

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Reports coming out that Lou Lamoriello was hired by NYI and has already been talking with Tavares to keep him in NY.

Oh and some more breaking news...why would he sign here? We suck and are years away from competing so why the heck would Tavares start all over again with a rebuilding team?

Give it up as he ain't coming here.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
The Stamkos situation was different... everyone knew he was resigning and it just took to the 24th hour to get it done. If anything, a new shift in management only deteriorates things further IMO.

But yea, good point about our offer not being big enough to outbid much better teams. A team like SJ could offer him something similar $ wise and be a way better landing spot for him

I definitely don’t think everybody knew Stamkos was definitely resigning in Tampa. At least one major Canadian franchise thought otherwise...

Reactions: MS

Canuxxx

Aug 10, 2008
Reports coming out that Lou Lamoriello was hired by NYI and has already been talking with Tavares to keep him in NY.

Oh and some more breaking news...why would he sign here? We suck and are years away from competing so why the heck would Tavares start all over again with a rebuilding team?

Give it up as he ain't coming here.

Holy moly... I remember why I don't post here any more. Breaking news: HF users read like the first two sentences of a post and then go on the attack.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Holy moly... I remember why I don't post here any more. Breaking news: HF users read like the first two sentences of a post and then go on the attack.

I think he’s just answering the question you asked in your OP using rhetorical questions.

Reactions: Jack Burton

Nick1219

Mar 15, 2012
Even if he somehow doesn’t sign on the Island he’s not signing in here. There are PLENTY of other landing spots for him. Canucks would be very and I mean very VERY far down his list.

I’m sorry if you feel that other people are attacking you, but it’s just simply not going to happen. It’s like starting a thread talking about the possibility of Dahlin falling to us at 7.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

NucksRock

May 16, 2018
Everyone knows Johnny T. becomes a UFA July 1st, arguably becoming the most notable free agent of the salary cap era. He will receive many massive offers from different suitors and the outcome will ultimately boil down to what Tavares values most (money, the opportunity to win now, etc).

Since a player of this talent hits free agency once in a blue moon, it would be almost foolish to not make an offer. However, for a team like the Canucks, the decision is not as cut and dry as it seems. They have just entered the first stage of a full blown rebuild, they are slowly but surely moving some of their blue-chip prospects up through the system, and most importantly, they are in no position to win anything for at least the next few years.

Having said that, it seems blatantly obvious that the Canucks would need to offer Tavares a contract similar to or even larger than Connor Mcdavid's to have a reasonable shot at landing him. So my question is, do you make that offer? Do you slightly overpay one of the best players in the league to come join your rebuilding squad for the next 5-7 years and lead the team to greatness? Does it even matter? Would Tavares ever consider coming here even if the canucks offered him maximum salary for maximum term?

Firstly, even if we did offer a ridiculous amount (which I don't think we should or will), I doubt he'd come here. JT seems like a guy who's driven to win a cup (Sooner rather than later given his age, and we are in a rebuild), and has a good head on his shoulders.

Much like Stamkos, he will listen to offers but probably still remains somewhat loyal to his team, which will put up big money to keep the face of the franchise, a world class player and leader. As such, if he doesn't stay with the Isles, I see him going to a team where he feels he is going to have mutliple shots at the cup starting next year.

He's going to get PAID wherever he goes, so he has the luxury of picking the right spot. I could see SJ signing Kane, who showed very well post trade, the going hard after JT since they have cap room. To me that is a PERFECT place for him. A team that is always competitive, well balanced and with those 2 in the lineup they could really have a number of legitimate shots at a cup, and they are in their 'window'.

As for the Canucks, too much money for one player that is 'too soon' to put us into contention. Personally, I don't like the idea of tying up too much cap in a couple of players, it takes a team to win. I like the Boston model and what appears to be ours, build team of guys who can pot 40-70 pts vs 2 who get you 100 and the rest in the 30's. While it sucks not having a 'superstar' - it does give us the advantage of saving that cap for down the road and having better depth.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
he'll come to vancouver to play with his good buddy cody. rekindle that 2009 WJC magic.

isles.jpg

Reactions: F A N

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Did this need its own thread?

Anyway, Ofcourse we should offer him a contract. No sane team shouldn't. I doubt he wants to come here at all, and with what we would have to pay him, and where this team is it would probably also be a bad move for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad