Recalled/Assigned: John Albert up at the big club

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Good for him. Love seeing a hard worker like that be rewarded. Still don't fully understand the recall, would have liked to see O'Dell or even Klingberg (who if you will recall was very good in his 2011-12 recall, been playing better from what I've seen in St. John's and is in a contract year) to get some time in the #2 LW spot, but meh. Good for the kid. Doubt he's anymore than a NHL replacement player, but to be fair I do think he is a better NHLer than an Aaron Gagnon.

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
That's weak if that's the case. TNSE talks the talk about "hard work", "character" but fails to walk the walk by not rewarding players for good play. Even if O'Dell is gonna sit up in the press box he still deserves that NHL callup more than anyone on the icecaps. It's not gonna make or break him if he spends a couple of games in the box or even on the fourth line rather than playing on the caps. Another thing that people often overlook is that players like O'Dell who are on two-way contracts make substantially more money when they get called up. So even if they were not gonna play him he still deserves to be rewarded for his good play with atleast a couple of weeks of solid pay. Horrible handling of the situation by TNSE

An Icecaps fan wrote about Albert, and interestingly, those were his very descriptors for him. He cited his hard work and character...for what it's worth.

boanst

May 25, 2013
The kid acquitted himself quite well. I blame Stuart and Ellerby more on that awful shift anyway.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Nice to see him score his first. It's always great to see a guy get his first goal, and see the celebration on the ice and on the bench. It's one of those moments where you know there is genuine emotion, and even for a guy like Albert, who I'm going to guess is not well known by a lot of his teammates (meaning they probably haven't spent a lot of time together), you could tell everyone was happy for him.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
BaiMJ2FIEAAuwiI.jpg:large

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/ultimate-experience-for-rookie-234188951.html

Winnipeg Jets assistant general manager Craig Heisinger, the man in charge of the club's AHL affiliate in St. John's, had convinced enough of the brass within his own organization that forward John Albert was worth a look-see on the big club.

And so there was Heisinger for no more than 10 seconds, slipping into the Jets dressing room to offer a smile and a stern handshake to the 24-year-old from Cleveland, Ohio, for a job well done in his first NHL game, that included his first NHL goal on his very first shot.

Patience, it seems, paid off.

Zinger seems to have a knack for this

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Klingberg (who if you will recall was very good in his 2011-12 recall, been playing better from what I've seen in St. John's and is in a contract year)

I don't remember him playing good at all. He looked lost, got benched in 3rd periods. I do remember him stripping the puck from Chara in front of Thomas.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
If this is how callups work, from a recomendation of who is playing well. Jets fans should in all honesty see Lipon and Kichton in action soon. They should be getting tons of love

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

Obviously no one is infallible, but I would imagine Zinger's opinion carries a lot of weight.

If this is how callups work, from a recomendation of who is playing well. Jets fans should in all honesty see Lipon and Kichton in action soon. They should be getting tons of love

Both Lipon and Kichton (and Lowry) got nice praise from McCambridge in the intermission of a game last week.

Really liked what I'm hearing about all 3. IF the Jets are out of the playoff race at some point near the end of the season, it would be great to see some or all of them in the lineup at different points. That would have to be managed around the Ice Caps trying to make the playoffs obviously though.

jetkarma*

Obviously no one is infallible, but I would imagine Zinger's opinion carries a lot of weight.

Both Lipon and Kichton (and Lowry) got nice praise from McCambridge in the intermission of a game last week.

Really liked what I'm hearing about all 3. IF the Jets are out of the playoff race at some point near the end of the season, it would be great to see some or all of them in the lineup at different points. That would have to be managed around the Ice Caps trying to make the playoffs obviously though.

Good to hear.

With those three it is important to just get pro games and ice time under their belts.

Also I am sure the organization knows they want to establish some sense of a pecking order in regards to merit.

STJ play by play guy was saying how much he like Lipon too and how he hit much bigger than his size.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Good to hear.

With those three it is important to just get pro games and ice time under their belts.

Also I am sure the organization knows they want to establish some sense of a pecking order in regards to merit.

STJ play by play guy was saying how much he like Lipon too and how he hit much bigger than his size.

Agreed. Besides the merit thing, I was trying to say the Jets would need to figure out how to incorporate some of those guys into the Jets lineup in say February or March (if the Jets are out of it and they wanted to give them a look / NHL experience / NHL $, etc) while balancing the Ice Caps trying to make their playoffs as well.

I'm guessing they want to see a few of these guys in the NHL at some point if the Jets are out, but they also don't want to hurt the Ice Caps from making the playoffs, because that would also be a huge learning experience for these guys as well.

Rook37

Feb 22, 2013
Winnipeg

It's not 1080p, but I'd like to alert everyone to the fact that this makes a fantastic desktop background :yo: (and avatar :sarcasm: )

BajyQDQIAAAZoUI.jpg:large

Rook37

Feb 22, 2013
Winnipeg
yeah me too haha, it's honestly one of my favourite pictures of jets 2.0. when I saw the version you linked I had to go find the full-res one ASAP :D

edit: also I noticed he was mentioned in his weeks Grantland grab bag, fittingly titled AL-BERT! AL-BERT! AL-BERT!:

Grantland said:
This week’s obscure current player is John Albert of the Winnipeg Jets. He was the 175th overall pick from the 2007 draft, and this week, six long years after he was selected, he finally made his NHL debut. And halfway through the second period, he found himself sent in alone on a breakaway and buried it. His first shot in his first game ended up being his first NHL goal.

Scoring in your first game isn’t all that rare, of course. But our hero does belong to another much more exclusive and, frankly, more important NHL club: He is the first and only player in the history of the NHL to have the last name Albert.

Loyal Grab Bag readers, I think you know what that means.

AL-BERT! AL-BERT! AL-BERT!

Needless to say, I love that commercial. And it’s always been vaguely disappointing that we NHL fans never had an Albert of our own. Until now. John Albert, you are the one we’ve been waiting for.

Take it away, Jets fans.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad