Recalled/Assigned: John Albert up at the big club

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
So I'm guessing Evander Kane is out and we need an "energy" guy on the PK, which Albert is. A lot of people here are wondering why O'Dell didn't get the callup. I'd love to know as well.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
No clue why they would beed to call up a PK winger when neither Hali or Frolik is getting regular shifts there.

Nothing against Albert. Would get it if Wright, Hali, Tanger or Thor was hurt - don't get it if this is a reaction the Kane injury.

O'Dell has paid his dues. Give him some of thst NHL paper.

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I always thought John Albert was the hardest working player for the Ice Caps. I haven't watched many games this year, but I started to take notice of him during the AHL playoffs in 2012. Glad to see him get the call.

powder88

Nov 21, 2013
Just so I have this straight:

-We have a physical, scoring LW go down with an injury
-We also have a marked deficiency at the centre position
-That deficiency has forced a regular LW to play centre (although surprisingly well)

Our AHL team has the following players:

-A point-a-game centreman with good possession statistics (O'Dell) who leads the team in scoring for the second consecutive year.
-A very physical LW turned centre (Lowry) who was a top scorer in Junior last year (as a LW)
-A veteran LW (Jaffray), who happens to be third on the team in scoring
-What position does the team's second leading scorer play, you ask? That would also be LW (Mouillierat).

So who do we call up?
A centreman with more PM than points (although I will admit this is one of Kane's strengths too) who is the seventh leading scorer.

I have no words to describe how I feel right now

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
He wouldn't get much playing time anyway. He's a C which is covered. We could put him on 4th line winger minutes, which doesn't fit O'Dell's style of play. Give him regular minutes.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Maybe the team knows a bit more about why it needs a call-up and what the various players on St. John's are suited for than we do.

powder88

Nov 21, 2013
Maybe the team knows a bit more about why it needs a call-up and what the various players on St. John's are suited for than we do.

Ummm...it needs a call-up because Kane is hurt and Peluso was the only forward with the club who wasn't already in the lineup.

I don't think it's going way out on a limb to suggest that losing a second line scorer on a team that occasionally struggles to score might necessitate bringing in another scorer (or for you stat heads, someone who does the things that make it more likely for goals to be scored). John Albert does not appear to be that guy.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
just gonna go out on a limb and say that Chevy/Zinger probably thought it would be better for both WPG and St.John's to keep O'dell centring the top line instead of sitting in the press box for a few games in Winnipeg...

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
just gonna go out on a limb and say that Chevy/Zinger probably thought it would be better for both WPG and St.John's to keep O'dell centring the top line instead of sitting in the press box for a few games in Winnipeg...

That's probably the reason but it would have been nice to see him get into a game. I don't like the idea of moving a grinder up to the top 6 instead of seeing what ODell can do.

To the guy mentioning Lowery, he's got 4 points on the year and is still adapting to the AHL he simply put isn't ready yet.

Savagestevo

Nov 29, 2011
Here's hoping O'Dell gets an actual shot when they trade Olli Jokinen at the deadline.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
BINGO

That's probably the reason but it would have been nice to see him get into a game. I don't like the idea of moving a grinder up to the top 6 instead of seeing what ODell can do.
I suspect Halischuk will go from top 9 to top 6 and Tangradi will play LW with Scheif and Frolik, where he has done well in the past. (Please...no....Wright....)
O'Dell's chance will come, if Kane is out for longer or ET does not succeed. This, for Albert, may just be a chance to watch.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I don't have a problem with this. Maybe O'Dell produces if he gets a shot, but he sure looked like a guy with hands who can't move quick enough to be effective in the NHL, and he's definitely not an energy guy for the 4th line.

I don't necessarily believe Albert has jumped Cormier or Gordon or Samson or O'Dell on the recall list. I think Kane will be out a couple games max and they didn't want to disrupt the IceCaps a bunch being on the east coast because they can get a quick recall if they really need it with another forward going down. Albert is there in case someone goes down in warmup.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
BINGO

I suspect Halischuk will go from top 9 to top 6 and Tangradi will play LW with Scheif and Frolik, where he has done well in the past. (Please...no....Wright....)
O'Dell's chance will come, if Kane is out for longer or ET does not succeed. This, for Albert, may just be a chance to watch.

I think Scheifele's line becomes the 2nd line essentially, as they basically have the last few games. I don't think Noel would break up the only effective forward line we have right now.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
He's probably just up for practice. Doubt he gets in a game just like the Melchiori call up.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Meh.

Marginal value decision so not a big deal. Still I would have prefer to have seen O`Dell get a shot for few reasons.

I think O`Dell has earned the chance, being the highest scoring player for the farm team two years in a row. I think it would be good to get a solid look at O`Dell versus NHL level competition to evaluate stronger, especially since he's been decently dominant in the AHL level. I think it would be good to get that look prior to next season where he has to go through waivers.

Also not too sure about the whole O`Dell is too slow for the NHL thing. Our third line isn't really given defensive responsibilities and our fourth line is hardly an energy type line. In addition, O`Dell is hardly the slowest in the NHL and could (IMO extremely likely) be more effective than some given regular roster spots already...

Statistically O`Dell has tread the path and development of a potential solid third line player and I'ld like to see him given a shot.

I'm actually more surprised Cormier wasn't picked up since they are looking for "this type" of player. I've never found Albert to be a good player even at the AHL level, but it's pressbox duty.

But, in the end, no big deal.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Yes, this team is in the very best of hands...

Mll7RmK.gif

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

That's weak if that's the case. TNSE talks the talk about "hard work", "character" but fails to walk the walk by not rewarding players for good play. Even if O'Dell is gonna sit up in the press box he still deserves that NHL callup more than anyone on the icecaps. It's not gonna make or break him if he spends a couple of games in the box or even on the fourth line rather than playing on the caps. Another thing that people often overlook is that players like O'Dell who are on two-way contracts make substantially more money when they get called up. So even if they were not gonna play him he still deserves to be rewarded for his good play with atleast a couple of weeks of solid pay. Horrible handling of the situation by TNSE

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Maybe Albert is being brought up to bring some life to Jets' practices. Sounds like Noel wants a bit more bite on the practice ice.

In any case, Kane's injury is going to finally free up Wright to get the kind of ice-time he truly deserves. I expect to see him on the second line so that he finally breaks loose offensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad