Recalled/Assigned: John Albert up at the big club

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Maybe Albert is being brought up to bring some life to Jets' practices. Sounds like Noel wants a bit more bite on the practice ice.

In any case, Kane's injury is going to finally free up Wright to get the kind of ice-time he truly deserves. I expect to see him on the second line so that he finally breaks loose offensively.

I'd agree Albert will definitely add some energy to practice. He's often been described as the hardest worker on the Ice Caps, but even Noel's love in with Wright isn't getting him on the second line!

If Kane is scratched, I'd have assumed Tangradi would play with Joker & Gooch, but Noel said in his presser that Thorburn, who practiced in that position was starting there.

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
If this is a call up to practice and sit in the press box then who cares......if it is for ice time then I think there was a better way to play this our.

That being said Thorbs on the 2nd line, if that is how it plays out, means that is not a real second line.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think Scheifele's line becomes the 2nd line essentially, as they basically have the last few games. I don't think Noel would break up the only effective forward line we have right now.

Agreed.With Kane out Scheifele's line likely gets more responsibility especially with their recent play. I think if this was a real opportunity rather than a couple days of press box duty you likely see O'Dell up over Albert.

Albert has also earned the right to a few days of NHL pay with his hard work on the Rock, especially if he can light a bit of a fire in practice.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Just so I have this straight:

-We have a physical, scoring LW go down with an injury
-We also have a marked deficiency at the centre position
-That deficiency has forced a regular LW to play centre (although surprisingly well)

Our AHL team has the following players:

-A point-a-game centreman with good possession statistics (O'Dell) who leads the team in scoring for the second consecutive year.
-A very physical LW turned centre (Lowry) who was a top scorer in Junior last year (as a LW)
-A veteran LW (Jaffray), who happens to be third on the team in scoring
-What position does the team's second leading scorer play, you ask? That would also be LW (Mouillierat).

So who do we call up?
A centreman with more PM than points (although I will admit this is one of Kane's strengths too) who is the seventh leading scorer.

I have no words to describe how I feel right now

No reason (as dumb as we all think it is) to take 20-25 Minutes of time from O'dell on the Rock to sit in the pressbox eating peanuts.

Bringing Lowry up now would ruin all your opinions on him. He's struggling right now to find his AHL game. It would be criminal to throw him into the wolves.

I agree with your point on Jaffs. Guy played in the NHL, knows what it takes to be successfull. Plus I'd really like to see Jaff get a few games/the $$. Great heart and soul guy that never takes a night off no matter what

Mouillierat was an ECHL pick up last year. Came basically out of no where. IMHO he would be absoultely useless at the NHL level. Good/Average AHL player, but for sure would flop at the NHL level.

Calling Albert up in confusing but when you look at it, St.Johns doesnt play until Friday. So really no matter who gets called up will most likely just be practising in the NHL, and back again before they play in St.Johns. That is of course if can isn't out long term

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Would have liked to see O'Dell get a chance, it would have been a good opportunity to get him in the line-up in a role he may excel in but for some reason they must not see him as quite ready yet?

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Hnidy said this morning that it looked like Thorburn was going to move up then they would put Peluso on the fourth line.

I'm only the messenger! :help:

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Hnidy said this morning that it looked like Thorburn was going to move up then they would put Peluso on the fourth line.

I don't even know how this would be logically possible. :(

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I don't even know how this would be logically possible. :(

I spotted Thorbs playing on the second line after Kane's injury. It makes sense. After all, I've always thought that Thorbs would finally blossom when moved to his off-wing. He's sort of like Hedberg or an early version of Ovechkin. :sarcasm:

Maybe this is Noel's way of taking a dig at Chevy and all of his critics. "You expect me to win with this crappy sort of line-up depth?"

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I spotted Thorbs playing on the second line after Kane's injury. It makes sense. After all, I've always thought that Thorbs would finally blossom when moved to his off-wing. He's sort of like Hedberg or an early version of Ovechkin. :sarcasm:

Maybe this is Noel's way of taking a dig at Chevy and all of his critics. "You expect me to win with this crappy sort of line-up depth?"

It baffles my mind that Noel would rather give his grinder vet the top 6 spot then try a young guy like ODell there instead.

This org is going to have to get a look at O'Dell one way or another this year in order to assess him for next year. I would think now would have been one of the opportunities.

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
A couple of people have mentioned Jaffray, which I completely disagree with. He just doesn't have the speed to be effective at the NHL level. He would play the role of grinder up here, but he isn't fast enough to be effective on the fore check so he really has no use in the line up.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Rumour is Albert is in and Tangradi scratched.

Thorburn on 2nd line.

These decisions don't seem competent IMO but I'm just a regular dude.

Really????

This doesn't make any sense. I'm not impressed with the org right now.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
A couple of people have mentioned Jaffray, which I completely disagree with. He just doesn't have the speed to be effective at the NHL level. He would play the role of grinder up here, but he isn't fast enough to be effective on the fore check so he really has no use in the line up.

Also the fact that Jaffray doesn't have an NHL contract.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Rumour is Albert is in and Tangradi scratched.

Thorburn on 2nd line.

These decisions don't seem competent IMO but I'm just a regular dude.

They make plenty of sense. Just keep repeating mantras like "north-south", "play the right way", and "work first, skill later". Then it'll all make sense.

:help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad