Line Combos: Joey Hishon Talk

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I loved seeing him toss Spurgeon right in front of me. That shift gave the team some momentum. Roy even had him starting the OT period. I have to imagine he'll get another contract.

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
Hishon the magician looked hella good last night in his limited role. I hope it gets increased weather or not Duchene comes back.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Hishon looked good towards the end of last night's game. Great story.

Hope he sticks in the lineup.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
I say keep him on the 4th line. He's not defensively strong enough to play in this team's top-6, and the role of defensively inept winger is already filled by PAP.

At least he's got Bordy and Malone with him who can go to the dirty areas while he works his magic with the puck, kind of like what Malkin was doing earlier on with McLeod and Bordy.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I say keep him on the 4th line. He's not defensively strong enough to play in this team's top-6, and the role of defensively inept winger is already filled by PAP.

At least he's got Bordy and Malone with him who can go to the dirty areas while he works his magic with the puck, kind of like what Malkin was doing earlier on with McLeod and Bordy.

When he was paired with Talbot, we finally got a little momentum from our bottom 6. I'd like to see that continue. Mcleod/Cliche have just been utterly dominated so reducing their role would be good.

Mr Serious

Jul 23, 2011
The one thing I noticed, especially when he lined up for faceoffs, is how small he is. He needs to get on the right diet put some weight on in the offseason.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
The one thing I noticed, especially when he lined up for faceoffs, is how small he is. He needs to get on the right diet put some weight on in the offseason.

He's listed at 175 probably more like 180-185. He's fine either way.

So, they didn't release him after his debut?:sarcasm:

Haven't seen the game yet but glad he played well. He'll just get better and better... if Roy keeps him in.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Hishon's timid/weak along the boards but he showed good offensive instincts shooting the puck at Kuemper's foot. That play almost led to a goal for the Avs. He does have potential in the longterm, but I think the Avs would be better off with Olver short term (assuming Olver is healthy).

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
Hishon's timid/weak along the boards but he showed good offensive instincts shooting the puck at Kuemper's foot. That play almost led to a goal for the Avs. He does have potential in the longterm, but I think the Avs would be better off with Olver short term (assuming Olver is healthy).

Weak maybe, timid no. He has an edge to his game and goes to the tough areas. He's a better option than Olver I think.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Olver is extremely weak along the boards too, and doesn't have nearly as much skill.

If Duchene is back, it won't matter. I'd imagine Hishon would sit next game if Dutchy plays. It's nice that Hishon had a good game though to get that in managements head.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
The Avalanche website lists him as 170 and Lake Erie lists him as 175. You think he's put on 5-10 pounds?

He's listed 175 on DB as well. He trained with O'Brien in the summer and focusing on adding muscle. I'm sure he's close to 180 than 170. Plus, it's not like hockey players aren't playing around his weight.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Olver is extremely weak along the boards too, and doesn't have nearly as much skill.

If Duchene is back, it won't matter. I'd imagine Hishon would sit next game if Dutchy plays. It's nice that Hishon had a good game though to get that in managements head.

I think he should still play on the third line with McGinn and Talbot. Good luck covering three fairly legit offensive lines Suter.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
When he was paired with Talbot, we finally got a little momentum from our bottom 6. I'd like to see that continue. Mcleod/Cliche have just been utterly dominated so reducing their role would be good.

Yeah I'd love to see Hishon, talbot and Malone/McGinn as a regular line til Malkin is back. They got zone time, brought pressure and had some really nice hits together.

? Timid is not the word I'd use to describe Jody's play last night at all and he's no weaker than Olver and unlike Olver has actual hands and skills.

Last edited by a moderator:

PeterTheGreat

Jan 4, 2009
We're gonna need a shutdown line on the road thats not the Stastny line because we wont get that matchup.

Therefore i would have these lines:

Radar-Duchene-PAP
Landy-Stastny-Mackinnon
McGinn-Hishon-Bordeleau
McLeod-Cliche-Talbot

That way we can use the Cliche line or the Stastny line to matchup against the top line. Bordeleau and McGinn can open up space for Joey.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
? Timid is not the word I'd use to describe Jody's play last night at all and he's no weaker than Olver and unlike Olver has actual hands and skills.

I agree, Hishon threw his body around pretty good last night and caused a fair amount of chaos in the offensive zone with his forechecking. I was really happy with his play especially considering this was his second-ever NHL game.

He does need to get stronger though, and he needs to work on his confidence with the puck.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I agree, Hishon threw his body around pretty good last night and caused a fair amount of chaos in the offensive zone with his forechecking. I was really happy with his play especially considering this was his second-ever NHL game.

He does need to get stronger though, and he needs to work on his confidence with the puck.

No doubt. But the confidence should come with time if he can keep building on what he's been doing and the strength will have to wait until the offseason but these few games in the playoffs should really help him understand just how much work he needs to put in. Any chance he's got the same agent hookup as Dutchy and MacK do with Crosby's trainer? Would love for Hish and Barrie to work with those guys.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Since I am now known to be ignorant and arrogant towards prospects, would you guys re-sign Hishon for next season based on what we've seen so far???!!!!

Re-sign. Elite potential. :yo:

He looked like a 4th line player with good hands and skating ability. Impossible to judge him based upon what he's doing in the past two games. He was put in a very difficult circumstance, re: his first NHL game(s).

He did OK - not bad, nothing worth getting an erection over - he did OK.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I thought this was the case in his first game, but I thought he battled much better in his second. He jumped right into some insanely intense games, that's asking a lot.

I think he'll be just fine with his board battles come next season if he gets a chance, and can play a bigger role.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Re-sign. Elite potential. :yo:

He looked like a 4th line player with good hands and skating ability. Impossible to judge him based upon what he's doing in the past two games. He was put in a very difficult circumstance, re: his first NHL game(s).

He did OK - not bad, nothing worth getting an erection over - he did OK.

Release him... clearly not an NHL player.

Crisp Breakout

Jan 3, 2011
Chicago
His stick handling is amazing to me. In the limited viewing, he looks like he has some serious potential. Maybe a 50-60 point forward in the making if he finds consistent health, which seems like a huge if at this point.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
His stick handling is amazing to me. In the limited viewing, he looks like he has some serious potential. Maybe a 50-60 point forward in the making if he finds consistent health, which seems like a huge if at this point.

The most subtly impressive thing IMO, is how confident he looks with the puck on his stick amidst the chaos. He's very patient, and he's reading the play, and making good crisp and quick passes on the tape and in stride to give the recipient time and space. Think about how crazy that is. First couple games in the NHL. Jumps right into a crazy intense series in the playoffs, and he's calm as can be with the puck.

You can't teach that stuff. Those are NHL caliber traits, and you could always see that he had that in his game. It just made him stand out a little bit more than other talented junior players or the regular AHLer.

He can make plays happen. He's just taking such a huge leap in his learning curve right now jumping into the playoffs, he's gonna slowly get better and better.

Not sure if he'll get the next game when Dutchy comes back, because they'll need Malone's physicality, and he's played well as well, but I know Joey's got some good plays in him if he gets a chance.

viach

Aug 5, 2007
We're gonna need a shutdown line on the road thats not the Stastny line because we wont get that matchup.

Therefore i would have these lines:

Radar-Duchene-PAP
Landy-Stastny-Mackinnon
McGinn-Hishon-Bordeleau
McLeod-Cliche-Talbot

That way we can use the Cliche line or the Stastny line to matchup against the top line. Bordeleau and McGinn can open up space for Joey.

Like our lineup. And Malone ? Prefer Malone to Cliche.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad