Line Combos: Joey Hishon Talk

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Hish is pretty weak on the boards... the last thing the Avs need right now is another finesse player that can't forecheck (unfortunately nobody they have available in LE can). I want him to play as well, but he just doesn't have what the team needs right now. The role he was played last night would be fine with me going forward.
The Avs are getting no offense from their bottom 6 whatsoever and have scored 1 goal in the last 7 periods of play (plus a little OT action). A little skill on those bottom lines wouldn't hurt anyone, and I don't really agree that he doesn't have what the team needs. They need offense, and bad.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The Avs are getting no offense from their bottom 6 whatsoever and have scored 1 goal in the last 7 periods of play (plus a little OT action). A little skill on those bottom lines wouldn't hurt anyone, and I don't really agree that he doesn't have what the team needs. They need offense, and bad.

I'm fine with him playing on the 4th line, he is just way too weak on the puck to be a reliable option right now. If he played more 5 on 5, he would be a turnover machine in all zones. Use him on the PP to inject some skill, and hide him 5 on 5.

Honestly, I would rather have Bordy get more minutes than anybody else playing right now. He can absolutely punish people on the forecheck, which the Avs absolutely need to start doing. Run a McLeod-Talbot-Bordy 3rd line and a Malone-Hishon-Cliche 4th line. Hide the 4th line as much as possible 5 on 5, and let Hishon play on the PP.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't like the panic move to say this team has no offense after one game of not scoring after scoring 8 goals the previous two games. It gets away from the whole "we play our game" mantra. It wasn't the top two lines scoring for the last month of the season. So all of a sudden the top line scores most of the goals in two games and now we have no offensive depth. They are the ones forgetting their identity. The media asking them for three days why they can't score didn't help either. A team top 4 in goals and top 5 PP and they have it in their heads now they have no offense is ludicrous.

I'm glad Hishon had his shot but Elliott is what the PP needed.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm fine with him playing on the 4th line, he is just way too weak on the puck to be a reliable option right now. If he played more 5 on 5, he would be a turnover machine in all zones. Use him on the PP to inject some skill, and hide him 5 on 5.

Honestly, I would rather have Bordy get more minutes than anybody else playing right now. He can absolutely punish people on the forecheck, which the Avs absolutely need to start doing. Run a McLeod-Talbot-Bordy 3rd line and a Malone-Hishon-Cliche 4th line. Hide the 4th line as much as possible 5 on 5, and let Hishon play on the PP.

I don't know if that's necessarily true. I think he was a bit tentative along the boards, but I wonder if that had to do with it being his first game in a crazy playoff environment against a very physical team.

I wonder if he would have been able to get more comfortable as the game went on if he got more ice time.

I think he's smart enough with the puck that he won't be a turnover machine. It's the board battles that he might not win many of, but he shouldn't be the main board guy on a line anyway.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I don't like the panic move to say this team has no offense after one game of not scoring after scoring 8 goals the previous two games. It gets away from the whole "we play our game" mantra. It wasn't the top two lines scoring for the last month of the season. So all of a sudden the top line scores most of the goals in two games and now we have no offensive depth. They are the ones forgetting their identity. The media asking them for three days why they can't score didn't help either. A team top 4 in goals and top 5 PP and they have it in their heads now they have no offense is ludicrous.

I'm glad Hishon had his shot but Elliott is what the PP needed.

Yep.

I don't know if that's necessarily true. I think he was a bit tentative along the boards, but I wonder if that had to do with it being his first game in a crazy playoff environment against a very physical team.

I wonder if he would have been able to get more comfortable as the game went on if he got more ice time.

I think he's smart enough with the puck that he won't be a turnover machine. It's the board battles that he might not win many of, but he shouldn't be the main board guy on a line anyway.

Playoff hockey is more physical and demanding. Hishon just isn't able to keep up at this point. He isn't strong enough and he isn't used to the speed so he doesn't know how much space he really has. He wasn't sat down because of his good play, he was sat because he couldn't keep the puck on the boards and was turning the puck over. This isn't anything against him, he just isn't ready at this point, and with the series tied, the stakes are just too high to live with his mistakes (if this was the regular season, I would be all for it). Like I said I don't mind him on the 4th line where he can be sheltered and give him PP minutes, but he shouldn't be fed 5 on 5 minutes hoping he gets better.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Yep.

Playoff hockey is more physical and demanding. Hishon just isn't able to keep up at this point. He isn't strong enough and he isn't used to the speed so he doesn't know how much space he really has. He wasn't sat down because of his good play, he was sat because he couldn't keep the puck on the boards and was turning the puck over. This isn't anything against him, he just isn't ready at this point, and with the series tied, the stakes are just too high to live with his mistakes (if this was the regular season, I would be all for it). Like I said I don't mind him on the 4th line where he can be sheltered and give him PP minutes, but he shouldn't be fed 5 on 5 minutes hoping he gets better.

Possibly, and I'm not really saying you're wrong. I'm just saying I wonder if the situation of his debut means it's not really enough to say that definitively about him. I think he could get better and win more battles as quickly as next game as he gets a bit more comfortable.

It was a pretty weird situation for a first game. NHL playoffs, crazy building, physical team. Plus he didn't get is first shift until like halfway through the first period I think on the PP, and then started with grinders playing a grinding role which made him play more along the boards. Then played with a bunch of different guys as Patty switched up the lines constantly.

Not a whole lot of stability to find a groove and play to your strengths.

Last edited:

Mr Serious

Jul 23, 2011
Can't imagine the nerves going through him last night. Your first NHL game and it's on the road in the playoffs after your team struggled mightly.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
That's pretty much what you are going to get from him. He wasn't ready. He wasn't dominating AHL competition. I was shocked they picked him, others were more deserving, more ready. Don't get me wrong, I love that he finally got in an NHL game and I'm rooting for him. He's obviously talented but he wasn't the right choice right now.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
That's pretty much what you are going to get from him. He wasn't ready. He wasn't dominating AHL competition. I was shocked they picked him, others were more deserving, more ready. Don't get me wrong, I love that he finally got in an NHL game and I'm rooting for him. He's obviously talented but he wasn't the right choice right now.

Honestly, Roy really is between a rock and a hard place with it. He needs a bigger more physical forward that can score... those don't exist down there with exception of Schumacher who doesn't have a NHL contract. The lack of forward depth in Lake Erie is hurting this team.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC

Minny is not a big team, many guys under 200lbs. We should be able to handle them physically, it just a matter of willingness to battle.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Minny is not a big team, many guys under 200lbs. We should be able to handle them physically, it just a matter of willingness to battle.

I agree. It's mainly the Avs mental approach, but the Wild did beat the crap out of them in game 3 physically. Now they look scared, and it's carrying over to their transition game, and battle down low.

They look like they've just been knocked down by the champ. They have to get up and take the fight to them if they want to win. So far they haven't looked like they want to win as much as Minny. They look like they don't want to get hit, or engage physically down low and in front of the net.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
I don't think I saw nough of him to form a good opinion, but remember guys like Barrie and Holden had some really aweful games thus year. I'm wondering if Hishon will be a playoff project? We are missing skill players, we need his skills. Who else are you going to use? I'm asking, Eliot ? Other? Honestly I'm not impressed with Carey nor Malone over him, they look potentially good but lots of scary moments when they are matched up against other teams better players. Last game was brutal, we need some spark, for me it seemed like we where slow... Everyone just looked drugged. Ok so let's hope in our place we regain confidence and jump.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Have been away for a number of days, and didn't read this whole thread. Did we get the "He's an elite prospect with 70 point potential!" out of the way after his first NHL game? Yes? Good. Moving on:

Hishon was not prepared for being thrust into that situation. He wasn't dog ugly, but he wasn't even a little bit impressive either. And Wilson wasn't going to do anything to improve the Avs' offensive performance.

The Avs are out of options, minus one: TV's suggestion. Put Elliott on that power play (and the 3rd pairing otherwise) and see if he can create something from the point. Short of Duchene coming back, that's the last roster card to play.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Solid game from Hishon tonight. Might just make the big club next year.

Agreed. Thought he was very good tonight.

If Duchene cant go for Game 6, I'd like to see him get a bigger role. He seemed pretty dangerous out there tonight. The 4th line had a few decent chances because of him.

For someone who has played such little hockey the past couple of years, he still has a lot of potential.

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
I liked how physical he was despite his size. Got outmuscled a few times, but recovered well and just kept at it. He moved the puck well, too.

PeterTheGreat

Jan 4, 2009
He looked pretty good tonight. Even threw some pretty big hits and he goes to the dirty areas. Making your NHL debut in the playoffs in a tight checking series is not easy but his play gives me hope for next year becoming a regular.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Since I am now known to be ignorant and arrogant towards prospects, would you guys re-sign Hishon for next season based on what we've seen so far???!!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad