Joel Armia - Ässät, SM-liiga

Qurpiz

Nudes in profile
Nov 5, 2006
A bomb of a shot from the point (well, close to the point).

Ei tollasta 17 vuotiasta olekaan....

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Sisu Suomi.

Very proud to see Finland making strides towards generating stars... 2004-2008 were dreary years for Finland's generation of prospects...

2010's list with Granlund, Donskoi, Pulkkinen and Aittokallio look fantastic
2011's list with Armia, Granlund, Kokkonen, Gibson, Wilenius, etc (see my post earlier in this thread) look amazing.

2012 and 2013 could hold good players too.

Since the NHL is all about size... Kokkonen and Armia are almost locks for the first 3 rounds (both 6'3").... Kokkonen was compared stylistically to Matts Sundin.

Qurpiz

Nudes in profile
Nov 5, 2006
Since the NHL is all about size... Kokkonen and Armia are almost locks for the first 3 rounds (both 6'3").... Kokkonen was compared stylistically to Matts Sundin.

Armia's more like a lock for the 1st round, some people are talking about top 10.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Armia's more like a lock for the 1st round, some people are talking about top 10.

I know he's most likely going to be top 10 material... I just wanted to include Kokkonen in the discussion.

Him and Kokkonen will probably be the first 2 Finns picked due to their size...

However Gibson could be a late 1st to mid 3rd rounder too...

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far

If Armia keeps this pace up, he will be challenging Sean Couturier and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins for a top-3 spot. Incredibly talented athlete, it's just staggering how fast his game is improving.

I know he's most likely going to be top 10 material... I just wanted to include Kokkonen in the discussion.

Him and Kokkonen will probably be the first 2 Finns picked due to their size...

Although I had Kokkonen 2nd on my list before the season started, I must say that it's starting to look very likely that he won't be the 2nd Finn picked next summer. If something, his game has regressed from last season, he's totally lost on the ice. Major improvement is required if he desires to get drafted.

Last edited:

The Saw Is the Law

Jul 31, 2010
I can't believe this... Kid really came from nowhere and now he is most famous hockey player in Finland. If there is conversation about ice hockey Armia is included.

Octomber stats:

6GP 6G 4A 10P +5 34shots 2PIM

And it's 6-game-scoring-streak. About 15min time on ice per game.

Maybe the best rookie in SM-liiga ever?

Wow, that first goal was so amazing. At least he isn't afraid to deke :)

Armia got balls, hands, shot, size... Hopefully his head tolerates this media rampage

Last edited:

Qurpiz

Nudes in profile
Nov 5, 2006
I can't believe this... Kid really came from nowhere and now he is most famous hockey player in Finland. If there is conversation about ice hockey Armia is included.

Even MTV3 did a featuring story on him in Tulosruutu. ****'s getting real for Joel.

I'm actuelly looking forward to the Annual Canadian Circle Jerk in Buffalo this year

BillH

Sep 16, 2010
he is playing in good line up so hold your horses... I personally think that top 3 is too much but he will be top 10 pick for sure if he keeps up this pace... Armias developing has been amazing... last season I watched his games and thought that his speed isnt enough but his skating has improved and he has enough courage to use his stickhandling abilities in the FNL... hockey is a game of self-esteem and we can see this in Armia... as wee can see it in Ville Leinos games...

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Octomber stats:

6GP 6G 4A 10P +5 34shots 2PIM

And it's 6-game-scoring-streak. About 15min time on ice per game.

Maybe the best rookie in SM-liiga ever?

Armia got balls, hands, shot, size... Hopefully his head tolerates this media rampage

:laugh: Just up from Granlund last year.

Sucks he's playing on Ass hat.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

he is playing in good line up so hold your horses... I personally think that top 3 is too much but he will be top 10 pick for sure if he keeps up this pace... Armias developing has been amazing... last season I watched his games and thought that his speed isnt enough but his skating has improved and he has enough courage to use his stickhandling abilities in the FNL... hockey is a game of self-esteem and we can see this in Armia... as wee can see it in Ville Leinos games...

We'll have to wait until his U20 this January then to really get a gauge of how good he is vs other players his age from NA and other countries.

I'm very excited now.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Armias developing has been amazing... last season I watched his games and thought that his speed isnt enough but his skating has improved and he has enough courage to use his stickhandling abilities in the FNL...

Two years ago I saw Armia play in Jr.C. The skill level was obvious, he was able to deke multiple opponents without much movement, it was impressive, the puck was glued to his stick. At that time his skating looked absolutely horrendous, it made me think that he won’t hack it once the game gets faster. How wrong could one be… This kid keeps on surprising.

Quethas

Jan 19, 2010
Tampere
I am amazed. Almost wordless. "It doesn't really matter if you're only seventeen".

One year ago this guy played in Jr.B and half year ago he wasn't star in Jr.A because of his skating. Now he does whatever he likes against men. And what even more impressive, against the rival team.

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
he is playing in good line up so hold your horses... I personally think that top 3 is too much but he will be top 10 pick for sure if he keeps up this pace...
Yes he is, but he has been a big part of it in the last 5 games and has made it better than it was for the first 7. But yes a top-3 is a bit over the top at this point.

Robert604strom

May 31, 2010
Victoria
Armia seems like a great player tough to see down the road tho,the finnish league isnt too deep. I wouldnt be surprized if he turns out to be a 2nd or 3 rounder but if you look in the history of the nhl drafts 2nd or 3 round picks seem to be the most consistant.

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
I am amazed. Almost wordless. "It doesn't really matter if you're only seventeen".
That totally made up for mixing up the players on that goal in the top-5 video. Man, took me a second time to realize that. :laugh:

Armia seems like a great player tough to see down the road tho,the finnish league isnt too deep. I wouldnt be surprized if he turns out to be a 2nd or 3 rounder but if you look in the history of the nhl drafts 2nd or 3 round picks seem to be the most consistant.
I really don't think that SM-liiga is much less deep than last season when Granlund had a great season and was drafted 9th overall, so if he keeps up the solid play I really don't see him falling thru the first round even if he's Finnish.

Last edited:

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
so you really think he's top3 pick? lol :handclap:
No one is thinking that he's a top-3 pick, but if he keeps this pace (2 goals per game :sarcasm:) up he could be a dark horse in the draft and could go with a pretty small number. I personally don't care THAT much about how early he goes, but if things go right for him in the league and tournaments who knows how high some teams might be on him. Saying he has a shot to challenge those two guys isn't that outrageous even though we all know it's only been 9 games for Armia with the men. We will see...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad