Joel Armia - Ässät, SM-liiga

Gabranth

#19 #88
Apr 2, 2009
Finland
Neither Granlund and Pulkkinen are 5'9, both are atleast 5'10 (178 cm). I guess you also haven't heard of Theo Fleury and more currently Brian Gionta (170 cm)?

Granlund was listed 178cm last year, but now he's listed at 175(smliiga) and it sounds about right. So he's 5'9, and he looks so SMALL.

So, Only 3 players... Gionta and Fleury + st. louis (5'9 and under) made it to the NHL. They're not centers tho, but then again Granlund can play as a winger. But Gionta's pretty fast, and i guess so was Fleury. But Granlund is so SLOOOOOOW. Granlund = Smliiga/KHL. You'll see. :laugh:

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
So, Only 3 players... Gionta and Fleury + st. louis (5'9 and under) made it to the NHL. They're not centers tho, but then again Granlund can play as a winger. But Gionta's pretty fast, and i guess so was Fleury. But Granlund is so SLOOOOOOW. Granlund = Smliiga/KHL. You'll see. :laugh:
I wouldn't call Granlund slow, but not fast either so a good career in the NHL is still a bit of a questionmark. Hoping for the best, but I wouldn't be really really surprised if all things would not go right, but on the other hand he has a pretty good chance to make a(tleast a semi) solid NHL-career. Size can be a obstacle for many, but you can still make it if you develop the other things on your game to a good level and Granlund will still develop.

Who knows at this point, these kids are 17-18 years old and they all have a long way to go.

Oh and Armia, like expected, was the first star of the match. :handclap:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Granlund was listed 178cm last year, but now he's listed at 175(smliiga) and it sounds about right. So he's 5'9, and he looks so SMALL.

It's an obvious mistake by SM-liiga site (which really shouldn't come as a surprise to any Finn) since he was measured at 5'10 at the NHL combine were they measure the players very accurately.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
There are more top-6 players in the NHL under 6 feet tall than those over 6' 3". Tall and lanky guys also have difficulties to achieve their full offensive potential. Just saying.

Anyways, 2 goals and a 1st star for Armia. Great stuff.

EDIT: Can we please just appreciate (or hate) Armia in this topic and leave our other prospects in their own topics. Not trying to be mod or anything, but...

Last edited:

Gabranth

#19 #88
Apr 2, 2009
Finland
There are more top-6 players in the NHL under 6 feet tall than those over 6' 3". Tall and lanky guys also have difficulties to achieve their full offensive potential. Just saying.

Anyways, 2 goals and a 1st star for Armia. Great stuff.

Maybe, only time will tell.... We're still looking for that next finnish-born star player, Where is our Bäckström? :(

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
454dbe4b-6a87-4e0d-8c0d-5ff7b6ca9569

Armia looking great! 1st round, here we come...

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
That was the lockout season. There were simply no spots for the rookies then.

The rookie group was quite thin back then, but it included three current NHL contracted players (counted only players who played enough to not be eligible year later).

Lauri Korpikoski
Anssi Salmela
Jesse Joensuu (ok he as 16 at the start of the season, 17 most of it)

First two are not great but good enough to be regulars. Apart from that some decent SM-liiga players: Ossi Louhivaara, Arsi Piispanen, Lennart Petrell, Jarkko Immonen (the one in Blues), Ville Varakas, Jesse Saarinen, Marko Anttila and Miika Wiikman.

Not a great list but at least everyone of those has had better career than Vidgren.

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
The rookie group was quite thin back then, but it included three current NHL contracted players (counted only players who played enough to not be eligible year later).

Lauri Korpikoski
Anssi Salmela
Jesse Joensuu (ok he as 16 at the start of the season, 17 most of it)

First two are not great but good enough to be regulars. Apart from that some decent SM-liiga players: Ossi Louhivaara, Arsi Piispanen, Lennart Petrell, Jarkko Immonen (the one in Blues), Ville Varakas, Jesse Saarinen, Marko Anttila and Miika Wiikman.

Not a great list but at least everyone of those has had better career than Vidgren.

Vidgren was not so bad on that one season. 8+9 and +7 was a good result for a rookie.

One has to remember that he was born march 1983 and was therefore quite old as a rookie in the season 2004-2005. In the same team 6 months younger Ville Leino started his third season in the league level.

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
So I assume that you're seen him playing a lot? Could you tell me what is his strengths and weaknesses? I only did my opinions looking stats (which is always dangerous).

I am not seeing him a lot, but I could accept coach Pajuoja´s analysis about him from last season

He plays for both Ilves A- and B-juniors. This year he has not been as productive in A-juniors as was expected after last season and has taken some stupid penalties. Coach Pajuoja, who has done a great job in developing young players is now the coach for the league team and that has not been great news for Kokkonen. In B-juniors he has played in the 1st line and dominated the games, so I would not worry about Kokkonen´s statistics yet.

His father moved to Finland and coaches now Ilves´s farm team LeKi.

FrankTheTank

Jun 1, 2010
I am not seeing him a lot, but I could accept coach Pajuoja´s analysis about him from last season

He plays for both Ilves A- and B-juniors. This year he has not been as productive in A-juniors as was expected after last season and has taken some stupid penalties. Coach Pajuoja, who has done a great job in developing young players is now the coach for the league team and that has not been great news for Kokkonen. In B-juniors he has played in the 1st line and dominated the games, so I would not worry about Kokkonen´s statistics yet.

His father moved to Finland and coaches now Ilves´s farm team LeKi.

Thanks for the information Phenomenon!

I looked Victor Rask stats in Allsvenskan and I was surprised that he's got only 1+1 on 9 game and he's suppose to be top 10 pick. Joel Armia's stats are 4+4 on 8 game! SM-liiga is still way better league than Allsvenskan. I know that Rask is more versatile player and especially more physical than Armia but still he's something huge. My point was that Armia has really good chance to be in top 10 in next summers draft.

Puckluck11

Feb 13, 2008
Luleå
Thanks for the information Phenomenon!

I looked Victor Rask stats in Allsvenskan and I was surprised that he's got only 1+1 on 9 game and he's suppose to be top 10 pick. Joel Armia's stats are 4+4 on 8 game! SM-liiga is still way better league than Allsvenskan. I know that Rask is more versatile player and especially more physical than Armia but still he's something huge. My point was that Armia has really good chance to be in top 10 in next summers draft.

Not supposed more like have the potential to be a top 10 pick, much like Armia i suppose.

Rask has received alot of hyped early on, much due to his great performance last season, that's why he was ranked number 3 by someone or some scouting agency, probably ISS in sept. IMO Rask has slipped out of the top ten at this point.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I saw one of Rask's games last week(?) and he was playing on the 4th line so that makes it quite hard to play ppg :)

He was definitely 1st round material but not clearly top10.

Armia, on the other hand, has a great chance to be a top10 pick if he's able to continue developing. I don't think the fact that he's Finnish is positive, but he has a chance :)

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007
Top10 is possible but not likely, at the moment at least. He has played great in the last 6 games, but its only 6 games. It is a very, very long season and Armia probably will slow down at some point. I´d say, that if he scores 30 points in Sm-league this year, its HUGE for a kid like that who isnt nowhere near close to his full frame physically. If he can keep up this pace for half of the season...well that would be amazing. Bigger players tend to be longer projects usually.

But as some scouts/teams have always said.. NHL teams look players (in the draft) who have the most potential...Armia could definately be top5 player simply looking at the potential (190cm, will weight 90-100kg at some point, soft hands, isnt afraid of physical play, shoots from right) in this draft.

I´m pretty excited about this kid to say the least. Next O.Jokinen for Finland?

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
In a "4 Sport Pro" - interview they asked Armia thru the phone "did you believe you were this ready for the season (and expect the big points)?" and "what does a comparison to Selänne sound like?".

Of course he believed he was ready and could produce like he has so far. The comparison to Teemu felt really nice. Not the typical answers of young playes "well it was a surprise and a comparison to a legend is too early and too big talk". Liking the attitude. Self-confident, but still not cocky.

Interview: http://www.ruutu.fi/video?vt=video_episode&vid=282940

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009
Wow Armia looks like a great prospect. At that hight goal scorers like him dont fall of the trees.

Definetly a first rounder and with development like this could be top10.

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
I really like Armia's game. He seem to have great hands and accurate release. If he doesnt start to float and work on his body he'll have a good change to make it in the NHL. Because there's still very much work to do if he wants to compete against the best.

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
Holy jesus, he just scored a damn pretty goal. Wow... I am just speechless.

E. Oh and MTV3 (one of the biggest TV-stations here) is doing a story about him on a sportshow called "Tulosruutu" and are there in Pori.

Last edited:

Qurpiz

Nudes in bio
Nov 5, 2006
JEEESUS CHRIST what a goal by Armia!!

There has to be a YT soon.

(1-on-1, completely tools the d-man, then dekes out the goalie)

This guy will be special. Hope my Avs snatch him

Gabranth

#19 #88
Apr 2, 2009
Finland
Another goal. I really like this guy he has skill and size :D

BTW Lady Granlund didn't play tonight, is he injured or something? Hehehehe.

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
Another goal. I really like this guy he has skill and size :D

BTW Lady Granlund didn't play tonight, is he injured or something? Hehehehe.
Lost some teeth in a hit he received. Probably nothing major.

And even though he hasn't been that good on center this season, I wouldn't call him "Lady Granlund".

But I have to say this hype has gone really fast from zero to a million. Well I'm not complaining, but still kinda "weird" that a Ässät-prospect is getting this much attention.

Last edited:

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
Armia Wins It In Overtime!!! Second Goal On The Pp!! Againts Lukko!!!

First star of the match was expected.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2