Prospect Info: Jimmy Vesey (Harvard University, 2012 66th overall)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thundr70

Jul 17, 2014
This is all so odd, all Vesey had to do was to play the rest of the Season and the Playoffs then go UFA. Why would you not want that, unless there is fear of injuring.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
Eh. I wish he had signed here but you can't blame the kid for wanting either go home and play in Boston or play for his dad in Toronto. I know if I got drafted by another team and could wait for two months to be a Predator, I'd have a hard time saying no.

Hate the loophole, not the player.

My dad would kick my butt if I tried to pull this crap. Team drafts me, invests YEARS in me, can offer me something no other team can, is a contender - everything. Then you stand there and throw their draft pick down in the mud and stomp it with your boot while they watch.

My father would have NEVER stood for that. He would have demanded if that was my dream, I tell them early on that was my intention, or else I sign with the Preds and let the chips fall where they may.

cnhf77

Dec 27, 2015
My dad would kick my butt if I tried to pull this crap. Team drafts me, invests YEARS in me, can offer me something no other team can, is a contender - everything. Then you stand there and throw their draft pick down in the mud and stomp it with your boot while they watch.

My father would have NEVER stood for that. He would have demanded if that was my dream, I tell them early on that was my intention, or else I sign with the Preds and let the chips fall where they may.

I'm willing to bet that if you had the number of (practically identical) job opportunities Vesey does, your dad would encourage you to pursue the one that was best for you, not hold you to some arbitrary ethical standard because one company called your name four years prior.

Lying at the TDL is another matter.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
As disappointed as I am about this, plenty of other fish in the sea out there, including some of our other drafted but yet unsigned prospects like Kirkland and Irving.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
I'm willing to bet that if you had the number of (practically identical) job opportunities Vesey does, your dad would encourage you to pursue the one that was best for you, not hold you to some arbitrary ethical standard because one company called your name four years prior.

Nope. He would encourage me not to basically throw the Preds draft pick down in the dirt, unzip my fly and pee on it. Because that's what Vesey did.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

Not what he said. He said his Dad would have made him tell the team ahead of time rather than dragging it out like he did.

No one is really arguing that Vesey should or shouldn't have went the FA route, that is the rule and his decision. The way it was handled by him and his family was horrendous though, and lying at the trade deadline would make me very wary if I'm a GM doing anything with him in the future.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
I could tell he wasn't going to sign here the day we picked him in the draft pick as he never seem enthusiastic when he put the Preds jersey on and when he did his first interview. Was very monotone/flat in his interview and didn't know much about or say much about the Nashville Predators when asked what he knew about the team and even admitted he didn't watch much of Nashville's games. In his interview though he admitted to being a Bruins fan. Just didn't come across to me especially from his body language as someone all that excited to play w/ Nashville when I watched the video the day we picked him. Instead seemed to me like he was hoping to have been picked by another team but was disappointed when he wasn't and got picked by Nashville instead but had to say the necessary buzz words to get through the interview.

Last edited:

cnhf77

Dec 27, 2015
Nope. He would encourage me not to basically throw the Preds draft pick down in the dirt, unzip my fly and pee on it. Because that's what Vesey did.

I hope for your sake your dad would prioritize your best interests over something as nebulous as a draft pick. I know if my kid were about to enter a workforce in which he would have to work several years to earn the right to be paid his market-rate salary, I would at least like him to be able to choose where he got to work.

braindead

Jul 14, 2005
The cookie spoke
Don't think he was lying-- he could have told Poile back then and been traded to a team of his choice, allowing him the chance to burn his ELC year at that other team. Preds would have gotten a low pick. Win- sorta not lose.

Instead, he cost himself potentially big money down the line and us a crappy draft pick. lose-lose.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
I hope for your sake your dad would prioritize your best interests over something as nebulous as a draft pick. I know if my kid were about to enter a workforce in which he would have to work several years to earn the right to be paid his market-rate salary, I would at least like him to be able to choose where he got to work.

My Dad would absolutely prioritize my integrity over me getting exactly what I wanted.

And if I may, a perfect example of the difference in generations (although it appears Vesey learned it from his dad).

Last edited:

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
Damn not a preds fan but this is ****ed up. Wouldn't have been bad if he communicated that he had no interest but he completely led poile on when he could have asked for a trade. Preds were being extremely generous too. I hope the preds boo the **** out of him at every game he plays. He should take notes from drouin and learn to request a trade.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Vesey looks like a dirty asshat with this move. I mean, exercising your right to explore UFA - whatever, not too bothered when someone does that. The way he handled it was a ***** move, though.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
It's for the best as I rather have a player that wants to play for Nashville than one that rather be somewhere else.

jusu11

Jun 27, 2012
Just can not believe this...

Team has drafted you, training camps, helping you trough your time in Harvard, offering you a chance to play in top6 and in the playoffs..and you turn that down.

When is this rule going to be changed? When someone like Eichel does this? So unfair towards the not so traditional markets.

Last the most confusing thing to me. When you are young don´t you want to see the world? Do you really want to live in your hometown your entire life? Or do you really need to see your dad every day and go to Toronto because of that? So angry right now and I know that I should not be.. but really are we talking about a mature professional athlete or a 15 year old kid cause I can´t see the difference.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
This is all so odd, all Vesey had to do was to play the rest of the Season and the Playoffs then go UFA. Why would you not want that, unless there is fear of injuring.

That's not the way it would work. He would have had to sign a 2 year ELC with us and the been a restricted free agent at the end of those two years.

Referencing poiles comments about the trade deadline, I really hope he didn't pass on Hartnell because Vesey said he was coming. If he passed on a depth UFA forward, fine, but if he passed on acquiring an asset with term, that was stupid. You take the bird in the hand.

Edit: holy crap this is my 20,000th post.... :amazed: edit again... well it was my 20,000th... guess something got deleted

Last edited:

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Just can not believe this...

Team has drafted you, training camps, helping you trough your time in Harvard, offering you a chance to play in top6 and in the playoffs..and you turn that down.

When is this rule going to be changed? When someone like Eichel does this? So unfair towards the not so traditional markets.

Last the most confusing thing to me. When you are young don´t you want to see the world? Do you really want to live in your hometown your entire life? Or do you really need to see your dad every day and go to Toronto because of that? So angry right now and I know that I should not be.. but really are we talking about a mature professional athlete or a 15 year old kid cause I can´t see the difference.

Funnily enough, that is not even the part that I have a problem with.

The part I have a problem with is him telling Poile that he'll sign here once he's done with Harvard, and then doing the complete opposite, KNOWING that he specifically saved a spot just for him. Whether he did it on purpose or not doesn't really matter to me, cause either way, he potentially really ****ed us big time here.

Hope Poile learns not to put too much trust into these kids.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I imagine that we may see GMs use no or very few 1st or 2nd round picks this Summer on players committed to going to the NCAA... and in future drafts until this loophole is closed. They're going to be very leary of using high picks on players who could pull a "Vesey" down the road. It may not be that unlike Russian players, who tend to slip in the draft because of the threat of them choosing the KHL.

It was actually a bit heartbreaking hearing Poile talk about the whole thing during the 3rd period, especially about all that the organization has done to help him develop into the player that he is. He did just sound disappointed; he sounded hurt. I found it a little painful to listen to.

I seriously doubt Poile is lying when he says Vesey told him he was signing at the trade deadline. Poile may have some questions to be answered as a GM, his integrity is not one of them.

I think that it's very possible that Poile mistook what he heard for what he wanted to hear. For example, Vesey may've said, "I'd love to sign with Nashville after Harvard." That's not nearly the same thing as "I will sign with Nashville after Harvard," but Poile may've thought that it meant that.

Last edited:

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007
I imagine that we may see GMs use no or very few 1st or 2nd round picks this Summer on players committed to going to the NCAA... and in future drafts until this loophole is closed. They're going to be very leary of using high picks on players who could pull a "Vesey" down the road. It may not be that unlike Russian players, who tend to slip in the draft because of the threat of them choosing the KHL.

It was actually a bit heartbreaking hearing Poile talk about the whole thing during the 3rd period, especially about all that the organization has done to help him develop into the player that he is. He did just sound disappointed; he sounded hurt. I found it a little painful to listen to.

I think that it's very possible that Poile mistook what he heard for what he wanted to hear. For example, Vesey may've said, "I'd love to sign with Nashville after Harvard." That's not nearly the same thing as "I will sign with Nashville," but Poile may've thought that it meant that. I'm not putting the blame on Poile, but honest misunderstandings like that happen. Vesey could've still been deceptive and vague without outright lying to him.

Bs"..............the kid down right lied. Looking forward to boos bigger than suter....

This is a loophole that needs to be closed and poile better start pushing for it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca