Prospect Info: Jimmy Vesey (Harvard University, 2012 66th overall)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
I think JN was inferring to take Vesey's public words with a grain of salt. No one should sweat Vesey playing here until he signs a contract with the team. Until that day he can say whatever he wants about loyalty and opportunity.

Exactly...thus far, his actions seem suspect to me, and recent history has me nervous. I have no way of knowing where his heart is...I'm skeptical, but would love to be proven wrong.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
If he signs after his college season is over that should be after roster expansion kicks in, so there will be room for him on the roster even if not on the ice during games.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
"I wanted to sign in Nashville but We just couldn't get a deal done" Insert former Predators player name here. Vesey is always going to say the right things. What does anyone expect him to say "I'm just here for the free training and coaching". Save these tweets for 8-16-16

Last edited:

Infinite Jest

Apr 26, 2013
I don't think it's a big deal either way. I don't really ever see him amounting to much in the NHL, maybe an okay second liner. I know I won't lose sleep either way.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Exactly...thus far, his actions seem suspect to me, and recent history has me nervous. I have no way of knowing where his heart is...I'm skeptical, but would love to be proven wrong.

How s? He has stated he wants to get his degree from one of the most prestigious universities in the world and that's suspect? He has come to camp on his own dime, that's suspect?

If the same person says the same thing to you on different occasions and you buy in to it each time, after a while it's on you but you have to take each person on their own merit. You cannot lump him in the Suter camp at all because what has he done to deserve that? Sure, Suter said he was going to sign here and didn't. He was a snake. We hate him for it. Last week, Ribeiro could've signed elsewhere but he said he wanted to be here and he's here.

There is no way of knowing any person's character unless you're with them constantly and even then, you just never know. What if something changes in his life with him, his family, his friends, whatever and he decides not to sign here, do we sit and hold a grudge against the kid? I guess I shouldn't a grudge against Suter for wanting to be closer to his home and his wife's family as well but I know in November of his last season he had agreed on a deal with Poile and he screwed him over, that's different IMO because you've agreed to it and didn't put your signature on it. Vesey doesn't owe the Preds anything at this point. His dad played in the NHL. If he's an old school sort of guy and he's true to what he's saying, he'll end up here at the end of the day. A lot of these kids are humble but also very impressionable. If he has good people around him, they'll look at Nashville as a great place for a young kid like himself to be. Come on, if Fiala pans out and we have Forsberg and you add a talent like him to the lineup with the D-corp the way it is, you want to walk in to a winning situation and team for a long run, this is the place to come to.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
How s? He has stated he wants to get his degree from one of the most prestigious universities in the world and that's suspect? He has come to camp on his own dime, that's suspect?

If the same person says the same thing to you on different occasions and you buy in to it each time, after a while it's on you but you have to take each person on their own merit. You cannot lump him in the Suter camp at all because what has he done to deserve that? Sure, Suter said he was going to sign here and didn't. He was a snake. We hate him for it. Last week, Ribeiro could've signed elsewhere but he said he wanted to be here and he's here.

There is no way of knowing any person's character unless you're with them constantly and even then, you just never know. What if something changes in his life with him, his family, his friends, whatever and he decides not to sign here, do we sit and hold a grudge against the kid? I guess I shouldn't a grudge against Suter for wanting to be closer to his home and his wife's family as well but I know in November of his last season he had agreed on a deal with Poile and he screwed him over, that's different IMO because you've agreed to it and didn't put your signature on it. Vesey doesn't owe the Preds anything at this point. His dad played in the NHL. If he's an old school sort of guy and he's true to what he's saying, he'll end up here at the end of the day. A lot of these kids are humble but also very impressionable. If he has good people around him, they'll look at Nashville as a great place for a young kid like himself to be. Come on, if Fiala pans out and we have Forsberg and you add a talent like him to the lineup with the D-corp the way it is, you want to walk in to a winning situation and team for a long run, this is the place to come to.
What's going to happen to make him want to go somewhere else? If he's truthful about wanting to be a Predator, then he should sign in April of next year. But I will believe it when I see it. Most of us should be skeptical when we have seen so many choose not to play here. He is saying the right things but leaving it open to go UFA.

Last edited:

dougie1107

Jul 6, 2012
Memphis
IMO Vesey will likely sign somewhere else next year, but not because he doesn't want to be in Nashville. I think he might end up being a little intimidated by our depth on the wings (provided Wilson and Smith re-sign). With Forsberg, Neal, and those two already filling out the top six it will be very tough for a guy fresh out of college to get a top six spot.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
The dude has done nothing but pass up money to finish what he started, and that is suspect? He kept his word to Harvard, I think he keeps his word to Nashville.

Kevin Hayes also kept his word to Boston College and we know how that worked out. What strikes me as suspect is his comments that he will sign "if the opportunity is right". What is this "right opportunity"? Is it playing in the NHL guaranteed? Is it playing on a contender with an NHL guaranteed spot?

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
The dude has done nothing but pass up money to finish what he started, and that is suspect? He kept his word to Harvard, I think he keeps his word to Nashville.

I think he is in an unusual situation. I think financially advising athletes with clear professional contracts in their sights to stay in school is a mistake. You are trading a salary free year for a 550-1.25 million dollar year in. This is lost salary that you cannot recoup. If development is necessary, you have a better argument to stay. In Vesey's case, he is sacrificing at least 1 million dollars, possibly up to 3 if he hit all of those bonuses. He will not get that money back. He will possibly push his contract status back a year which means later free agency, etc.

That said, Harvard is a name brand school. The degree still has name brand recognition.

Best case scenario for Vesey now from a contract status is to sign late in the year, still burn a contract year, and still get his degree.

Last edited:

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I think he is in an unusual situation. I think financially advising athletes with clear professional contracts in their sites to stay in school is a mistake. You are trading a salary free year for a 550-1.25 million dollar year in. This is lost salary that you cannot recoup. If development is necessary, you have a better argument to stay. In Vesey's case, he is sacrificing at least 1 million dollars, possibly up to 3 if he hit all of those bonuses. He will not get that money back. He will possibly push his contract status back a year which means later free agency, etc.

That said, Harvard is a name brand school. The degree still has name brand recognition.

Best case scenario for Vesey now from a contract status is to sign late in the year, still burn a contract year, and still get his degree.

He will not be pushing his UFA status back any. The current rules state that 7 years or age 27. He will hit the age 27 before the 7 year mark at this point due to his age so the only thing one could argue against his decision is the lost salary. The biggest place where this is a bad idea on his part financially is if he gets injured next year and is unable to continue to play.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Here's a thought - does Vesey have any association whatsoever with Minnesota? Because that was the common denominator between Suter and Mike Reilly (and why I thoroughly hate their ****ing guts now; "Minnesota Nice" apparently means "lie to those who think you're committed to them"). If not, we're probably fine. ;)

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
He will not be pushing his UFA status back any. The current rules state that 7 years or age 27. He will hit the age 27 before the 7 year mark at this point due to his age so the only thing one could argue against his decision is the lost salary. The biggest place where this is a bad idea on his part financially is if he gets injured next year and is unable to continue to play.
He won't be pushing back his UFA status since he will be one next year.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

as we have discussed before, he wont be completely "unrestricted"... he will only be able to sign an ELC, not some monster UFA deal

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com

He's not foregoing his Harvard degree. Suter finished his Wisconsin degree despite leaving THREE years early. The only thing he would forego by signing with the Predators this spring would be his senior year playing for Harvard-- a team with no shot at a championship.

Again, I'm not saying he will or won't do anything...but I won't pretend that everything that has happened to this point isn't at least somewhat alarming..

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013

as we have discussed before, he wont be completely "unrestricted"... he will only be able to sign an ELC, not some monster UFA deal

Exactly and at the point he would sign, he would become an RFA. The UFA status after August 2016 only allows him to sign with a team of his choice, then he is locked down as an RFA until age 27. His contract $ amount is capped as an ELC. Therefore there is no benefit to this other than picking where you can go.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
He's not foregoing his Harvard degree. Suter finished his Wisconsin degree despite leaving THREE years early. The only thing he would forego by signing with the Predators this spring would be his senior year playing for Harvard-- a team with no shot at a championship.

Again, I'm not saying he will or won't do anything...but I won't pretend that everything that has happened to this point isn't at least somewhat alarming..

This is how I feel. I want Vesey to stay, but it is certainly not ideal if not suspicious. We have to hope Poile gets this done.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
It certainly doesn't look good on paper. Who knows though. Hopefully he will sign with us. If it gets to be midway through the season, I hope Poile trades his rights if talks aren't going anywhere.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

This is how I feel. I want Vesey to stay, but it is certainly not ideal if not suspicious. We have to hope Poile gets this done.

Im guessing Harvard doesnt have the same sort of online/remote study program that a state university has. Why should they? Theyre Harvard...

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
Lets look at the facts:

He wants to play his senior year because he thinks they have a shot at the championship. If they really aren't that good, he could be available earlier.

He wants his degree. If he leaves before he earns it, he could go back in the Summer and get it. Kids at Ivy League schools and places like Vandy get their degrees early all the time. I'm sure he's charted a course.

He's loyal and says he wants to sign with the Preds. The "right opportunity" comment probably means he'd prefer to being going into the playoffs right away and therefore on the team right away. No guarantee we'll be in the playoffs but if we are, DP will definitely put him right in there. He was ready to do that last year.

He's in Development Camp on his own nickel.

Money will be the same regardless of the team he signs with.

All this adds up to a much better than 50-50 chance he's a Pred next April.

FEARoN

Apr 20, 2015
Kentucky

It certainly doesn't look good on paper. Who knows though. Hopefully he will sign with us. If it gets to be midway through the season, I hope Poile trades his rights if talks aren't going anywhere.

I'm sure I'm being unfairly cynical of DP in this situation, but I don't have much faith in Poile here. My fear is he will wait, not wanting to seem pushy and allow Vesey space to "make the right choice for him". I don't see him working on it until Harvard's season is over, which will miss any trade opportunities and gives a limited amount of time before he becomes a UFA. Poile is seemingly too passive in these situations, but I also don't know that pushing him to sign early wouldn't backfire either. Really tough spot for DP on this one.

I don't expect him to sign him anytime soon, but the closer we get to his UFA status the more I'll be concerned. I'm at 60/40 he stays in Nashville.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
He was a Hobey Baker finalist this past season, right?

Maybe he was told that this year he has an actual chance to win the award and went back to school to try to win it.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
So you're saying he didn't go to the Donald Trump school of foot in mouth disease
Trump likes to keep his name in the news:laugh:
Vesey is not going to come out and state he's going to be a free agent while he's in the Predators development camp (why was he invited?) , but as soon as his season starts at Harvard he can declare his intentions and get teams to scouting him during the season. Until then your going to get the canned "I love it here" and "I will sign here if the situation is correct" response.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA