Prospect Info: Jimmy Vesey (Harvard University, 2012 66th overall)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
So...we need to sign him by the end of this year, or next year?
Poile has until August 15, 2016. Harvard classes end mid May aka after the Predators' annual first round exit. He then can sign or wait and choose his team. He has zero reason to choose Nashville, and his parents and "advisor" seem to want him to be a free agent. He should be the Hobey Baker favorite, and teams will line up to sign him. He could make more in Boston because of endorsements.

Filip Forceberg

Sep 19, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Poile has until August 15, 2016. Harvard classes end mid May aka after the Predators' annual first round exit. He then can sign or wait and choose his team. He has zero reason to choose Nashville, and his parents and "advisor" seem to want him to be a free agent. He should be the Hobey Baker favorite, and teams will line up to sign him. He could make more in Boston because of endorsements.

I don't think he needs to wait until classes are over. I think he can sign immediately after Harvard's last game. Signing a professional contract terminates a player's NCAA eligibility, which wouldn't matter once Harvard's season is over.

van22

May 25, 2014

Was it in an interview or article - I assume it provides a bit more detail so could you upload the link please.

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
Honestly, I think we have a better chance of Sidney Crosby deciding that he wants to start a country music career on the side and then demanding a trade to the Preds than actually seeing Vesey in a Preds jersey.

We'll see though.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Was it in an interview or article - I assume it provides a bit more detail so could you upload the link please.
Mostly it's reading between the lines. With Reilly and others going UFA this will become the norm and no one choses to play in Nashville. He know the UFA route is there and should take it. Like I said my issue is with the process not Vesey. He should have the same rights as a RFA not have the team waste a draft choice on him. Poile has trusted players in the past and got torched (ie Suter). Honestly he should ask Vesey where he wants to play and try to trade his rights but Vesey has very little trade value with the UFA rights looming.

http://www.tsn.ca/the-vesey-watch-is-on-1.238147

"Jimmy is a player we believe we could put in our (NHL) lineup right now," Poile said. "And the way we’re playing right now, yes, we could really use him. But it’s Harvard, right? We know that. We’ve been in close contact (with Vesey’s parents and family advisor Peter Fish). Even (if Harvard’s season were to end this Saturday night with a loss in South Bend) we know that (Vesey turning pro) may not be until next season or next year. He’s a very good player but he also a very smart kid, a good student, so we’ll just take it one day at a time and see what happens."
Peter Fish is an agent. Which is funny since NCAA players are not supposed to have agents

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/...als-harvard/q9hTYfanpmMVCeiIUcFvyJ/story.html
This season, as Vesey showed he’s likely ready for the NHL, the Predators have bided their time, per his father’s request.

“They have been there at all the games since then and they have not bothered Jimmy one bit,’’ Jim Vesey said. “They have made it known they would like to have him come out, but I made it known it was going to be up to Jimmy. It’s not a slight on any other school, but I said, ‘It’s Harvard.’ ’’
His dad always seems to be "involved" in any discussion about him.

Last edited:

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Mostly it's reading between the lines. With Reilly and others going UFA this will become the norm and no one choses to play in Nashville. He know the UFA route is there and should take it. Like I said my issue is with the process not Vesey. He should have the same rights as a RFA not have the team waste a draft choice on him. Poile has trusted players in the past and got torched (ie Suter). Honestly he should ask Vesey where he wants to play and try to trade his rights but Vesey has very little trade value with the UFA rights looming.

http://www.tsn.ca/the-vesey-watch-is-on-1.238147

Peter Fish is an agent. Which is funny since NCAA players are not supposed to have agents

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/...als-harvard/q9hTYfanpmMVCeiIUcFvyJ/story.html
His dad always seems to be "involved" in any discussion about him.

hes a college kid. I have no problem with his father being involved. I would definitely be involved if it was my kid. As for the "family friend" who is an agent, thats not definitely a negative... he could advise him to take the sure thing and burn the ELC year, especially if Poile offers a max ELC

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Can't they offer him a signing bonus or easy incentives to increase his salary value? Remember Poile was the one who traded a UFA to be for draft picks before anyone else did. Maybe he has something up his sleeve.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Can't they offer him a signing bonus or easy incentives to increase his salary value? Remember Poile was the one who traded a UFA to be for draft picks before anyone else did. Maybe he has something up his sleeve.
Signing bonus can't exceed 10% of the contract value, so that pushes him from $925k to just over $1M. I believe up to $2.85M in performance bonuses can also be added to the contract, though these can carry a cap penalty in subsequent years if they are actually earned and the amount pushes the cap payroll over the limit. I don't believe these conditions are anything different than what any other team could offer him.

Last edited:

van22

May 25, 2014
It seems like Vesey could be available as early as March next year.

Last edited:

Mercalius

Apr 23, 2013
Robby Stanley ‏@RStanley247 2m2 minutes ago
Vesey said he's a very loyal person. Said he'd like to sign with Nashville after his season at Harvard is over.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Robby Stanley ‏@RStanley247 2m2 minutes ago
Vesey said he's a very loyal person. Said he'd like to sign with Nashville after his season at Harvard is over.

Because that is the politically correct thing to say at this point.

Filip Forceberg

Sep 19, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
There's a difference between being politically correct and lying. I choose to believe him for now.

I choose to believe him as well. Calling yourself a loyal person and saying you want to sign with the team that drafted you is bold. If he ends up pulling a Mike Reilly now, I'll boo the **** out of him.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
You can't go through life thinking everyone is out to get you. Ryan Suter is a liar, it doesn't mean Vesey is.

This. By no means does it mean that he'll sign for sure, but let's not totally dismiss his comments either.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
You have to wonder what his "right opportunity" is though.

I agree that it's probably starting with the team. I'd love for him to start in Milwaukee, but if that's his one demand, I grant his wish (if I'm Poile).

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I agree that it's probably starting with the team. I'd love for him to start in Milwaukee, but if that's his one demand, I grant his wish (if I'm Poile).
Even if it's not the greatest roster move at the time, I put him with the Preds if that's what he wants and that's what gets him to sign here.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
You can't go through life thinking everyone is out to get you. Ryan Suter is a liar, it doesn't mean Vesey is.

I think JN was inferring to take Vesey's public words with a grain of salt. No one should sweat Vesey playing here until he signs a contract with the team. Until that day he can say whatever he wants about loyalty and opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland