Jimmy Howard vs Petr Mrazek (The Long Off-Season Begins)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Retain a little salary and you have no issue moving him. With no retention, the goalie market isn't great.

But that's jumping the gun. Let's find out how Mrazek can handle full time duties before ditching a solid option.

Jackpot Jaret

Oct 22, 2014
Personally as an outside fan, it seems like Detroit is going through a "transition" phase...Where youth is taking over, like Tatar, Nyquist, Jurco, Sheahan, etc. I believe they should go with Mrakek, and trade Howard. Hes still relatively young with trade value. Maybe the perfect place would be to Edmonton

I love Mrazek, and I hope he becomes a dominant starter sooner rather then later

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Mrazek still needs to tone down the aggressiveness. Hes so far out so often that he should be getting burnt way more.

:shakehead He should not come out, And he should be getting beat more? But yet hes not! And here you and I are talking on a board. Hes fine and does not have the reputation of being a top level goalie because of being to aggressive.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
I called this before he got burnt 3 times in 10 minutes of play. He is too aggressive and needs (yes NEEDS) to tone it down to be better. Didnt want him to melt down but watching him you could see it coming...

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I called this before he got burnt 3 times in 10 minutes of play. He is too aggressive and needs (yes NEEDS) to tone it down to be better. Didnt want him to melt down but watching him you could see it coming...

Our defense also got burnt 3 times in 10 minutes of play.

First goal I understand being mad at. Goals 2 and 3 are odd man rushes with guys wide open back door. A lot more mad at the defense than Mrazek for that.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Our defense also got burnt 3 times in 10 minutes of play.

First goal I understand being mad at. Goals 2 and 3 are odd man rushes with guys wide open back door. A lot more mad at the defense than Mrazek for that.

He didn't really give himself much of chance on the OT goal. Hedman was forced to his backhand, so there was no reason for Mrazek to be so aggressive. Its obviously not entirely his fault, but he didn't play it the way you're supposed to.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He didn't really give himself much of chance on the OT goal. Hedman was forced to his backhand, so there was no reason for Mrazek to be so aggressive. Its obviously not entirely his fault, but he didn't play it the way you're supposed to.

He had it on his forehand til literally the last second when he passed it. And if he was there for the Johnson shot, Johnson could have just tapped it to Kucherov wide open in the slot. Helm wasn't even in the play after he dove, so it was basically a 3 on 1.

SlickHands

Apr 11, 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Howard has had top 10 sv% (among starters) in 3 of his 6 years as a starter. 4 of his 6 years as a starter Howard has finished 17th (among starters) or better in sv% (+1 year exactly 20 and one year 22).

I'd say Howard has consistently been middle-to-above the league average.

17th amongst starters is below average. 20th and 22nd is abysmal. You only proved my point.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
He had it on his forehand til literally the last second when he passed it. And if he was there for the Johnson shot, Johnson could have just tapped it to Kucherov wide open in the slot. Helm wasn't even in the play after he dove, so it was basically a 3 on 1.

Yeah, and he continued to follow him aggressively to his backhand. All I'm saying is that he could have played it better and given himself a chance to stop it. It could very well have been a goal either way. When you're not even in your net when the shot is taken because of one pass, you're doing something wrong.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Mrazek didn't give himself a chance to even make the save if the pass gets through. It was abysmal positioning. It was also abysmal play by everyone on the ice. Funny thing about that is If Howard's in net people on this board would be campaigning for him to be hung. If Howard's in net the entire PGT is about how he lost them the game. That's HFBoards for you!

This board will quickly jump ship about Mrazek when Bedard ruins him.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Howards Elite when hes on his game

And then the other time hes one of the worst goalies in the league.. Like 2nd half this year... And below average last year.... He hasnt been Elite to take this team to the playoffs and a deep cup run since 2013. And that was a shortend year.. So make Febuary the playoffs this year and boop. Swept.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Mrazek didn't give himself a chance to even make the save if the pass gets through. It was abysmal positioning. It was also abysmal play by everyone on the ice. Funny thing about that is If Howard's in net people on this board would be campaigning for him to be hung. If Howard's in net the entire PGT is about how he lost them the game. That's HFBoards for you!

This board will quickly jump ship about Mrazek when Bedard ruins him.

So we Are playing ifs.

If Howard was in net this series would have ended yesterday, but since we have Mrazek we will see at least 2 games.

Did you watch game one? The team was terrible, they menaged 14 shots, but Mrazek won them the game. That gave the team confidence and the team improved greatly and is not so badly outplayed as the were in game 1&2 and they almost took a 3-1 lead of the series.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
So we Are playing ifs.

If Howard was in net this series would have ended yesterday, but since we have Mrazek we will see at least 2 games.

Did you watch game one? The team was terrible, they menaged 14 shots, but Mrazek won them the game. That gave the team confidence and the team improved greatly and is not so badly outplayed as the were in game 1&2 and they almost took a 3-1 lead of the series.
How do you know how Howard would have done? How do you know it was only Mrazek that gave the team confidence? Furthermore, I highly doubt a group of professional athletes rely on one person to instill confidence. It isn't some house level, rah-rah **** hockey.

I'm glad Mrazek is doing well, the Red Wings needed one of the two to get hot. He's giving the team a chance to win every game and that's all anyone can ask for. But don't pretend that if Howard was in net and let in 3 goals in a 8-10 minute span to lose the game he wouldn't be villified.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
So we Are playing ifs.

Legit scoring chances were not that different through two periods and they gave up two to our best player in the slot. I know people keep talking about that game, but seriously the Lightning were disinterested in paying he price it actually takes to win a playoff game, in a lot of ways they deserved to lose that game with their perimeter hockey. Turning it on for the last ten minutes doesn't absolve them of playing terrible perimeter hockey for the other 50.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
So we Are playing ifs.

so you're saying Mrazek's game one gave them the confidence to do well in games 3 and 4 despite Mrazek being terrible in game two which took place in between them? :laugh:

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
How do you know how Howard would have done? How do you know it was only Mrazek that gave the team confidence? Furthermore, I highly doubt a group of professional athletes rely on one person to instill confidence. It isn't some house level, rah-rah **** hockey.

I'm glad Mrazek is doing well, the Red Wings needed one of the two to get hot. He's giving the team a chance to win every game and that's all anyone can ask for. But don't pretend that if Howard was in net and let in 3 goals in a 8-10 minute span to lose the game he wouldn't be villified.

I have watched Howard for many years now. I do not trust him. The players don't trust him, neither does the coach.
We see what is happening. Last season he lost us game 2&3 and Babcock turned to Gustavsson. People say he was injured, got the flu. But what kind of flu is this year? Babcock does not start him.
Howard can not provide the goaltending needed in the playoffs to win.
On a stacked team, maybe. Though I doubt.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I have watched Howard for many years now. I do not trust him. The players don't trust him, neither does the coach.
We see what is happening. Last season he lost us game 2&3 and Babcock turned to Gustavsson. People say he was injured, got the flu. But what kind of flu is this year? Babcock does not start him.
Howard can not provide the goaltending needed in the playoffs to win.
On a stacked team, maybe. Though I doubt.

You are making a lot of assumptions and assertions with literally no proof to back it up.

By the way, even with Howard "sucking" in the playoffs last year, his save percentage was .931. I know, horrible.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
You are making a lot of assumptions and assertions with literally no proof to back it up.

By the way, even with Howard "sucking" in the playoffs last year, his save percentage was .931. I know, horrible.

The very proof is in net, who won us 2 games.
Howard was replaced by Gustavsson last season after game 3.
What kind of proof do you need? The coach does not play him. More than enough.

I do not know how anyone can defend Howard. In game 2 he goes out and plays the puck that one has to wonder if the guy is completely crazy. I have never seen anything alike. From there on he plays 4 terrible periods.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
The very proof is in net, who won us 2 games.
Howard was replaced by Gustavsson last season after game 3.
What kind of proof do you need? The coach does not play him. More than enough.

I do not know how anyone can defend Howard. In game 2 he goes out and plays the puck that one has to wonder if the guy is completely crazy. I have never seen anything alike. From there on he plays 4 terrible periods.

Well if winning 2 games doesn't prove anything about a person then I don't know what does!

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Starting Mrazek was a fantastic decision. He stops everything he's supposed to and more. Dude can actually complete a shutout unlike Jimmy "soft goal" Howard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad