Jimmy Howard vs Petr Mrazek (The Long Off-Season Begins)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
Agree with this approach. I think people are jumping the gun a little too much here. Mrazek still hasn't really proven that he's over his consistency issues just yet. I'd wait one more season, give Mrazek and Howard split time, and then figure out what to do with Howard next off season if Mrazek has continued to prove himself. There would be nothing worse than shipping off Howard and having Mrazek regress next season. Not that I think it'll happen, but it's hard to tell with young goalies sometimes. This is, of course, assuming Howard wants to stick around next season...

I don't imagine he would actively try and get out of here--- one has to think he knows he had plenty of opportunities to keep his job abd he just couldnt get it done afyer his injury. Regardless of what Mrazek is doing now I think it's Howard's job to lose next season too. Given an offseason to clear his head and get it togerher amd hopefully he shows up and performs as well as he did early in the season.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Seems like the situation is kinda ideal. I give Mrazek the edge and always have and personally think this is overdue, Mrazek should have been the full time backup last season or even eralier. But having both Howard and Mrazek on the roster is not a bad idea IMO and just go with who ever is getting the W's. If Mrazek earns the starter position outright then package Howard and get a more appropriately priced backup. At least we are painstakingly finally to the point where Mrazek is not going back to Grand Rapids for more overbaking.

DeYarmond Edison

drinkingpinkrabbits
Apr 10, 2011
Bored in the USA
Seems like the situation is kinda ideal. I give Mrazek the edge and always have and personally think this is overdue, Mrazek should have been the full time backup last season or even eralier. But having both Howard and Mrazek on the roster is not a bad idea IMO and just go with who ever is getting the W's. If Mrazek earns the starter position outright then package Howard and get a more appropriately priced backup. At least we are painstakingly finally to the point where Mrazek is not going back to Grand Rapids for more overbaking.

Never say never, man. Never say never.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Let's see how Mrazek does in a full-time capacity, first, eh?

Upstart goaltender is always considered the de facto starter as soon as they start doing well. Is it at all possible to be patient with this situation? Howard is under contract and I don't have an issue with them fighting it out for starts next season. Mrazek hasn't been consistent enough to warrant a 60 game workload.

I don't have a problem carrying both, either. I think that's the ideal set-up, where we have the experienced vet and the kid and we can allow the goaltending to sort itself out to some degree. I think the question will be how Howard reacts to it, though. I can see him being fine with splitting starts next year and handing over the reins, but I can also see him going into Holland's office after the season and asking to be moved to a team where he'd be the starter. However...

Canucks traded Scneider to the Devils fot a 1st,9th pverall I believe. I believe that was the 09 offseason.

I totally forgot about that deal, and if some team offered a top10 pick for Howard, I'd move him in a minute.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
People have been saying 1A/1B for Howard/Mrazek for at least a year now. Howard's not a terrible goalie and Mrazek can push him or take his job. Either way, carrying both just makes sense for now.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
People who think we can get a top 10 pick for Howie are dreaming, like others have stated it'd be best to carry both Jimmy and Petr in a 1a/1b situation until Petr can firmly grab the starting role (if he can) for at least one season (most likely 2). If/when that happens trade Jimmy in a package for an upgrade somewhere else.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
People who think we can get a top 10 pick for Howie are dreaming, like others have stated it'd be best to carry both Jimmy and Petr in a 1a/1b situation until Petr can firmly grab the starting role (if he can) for at least one season (most likely 2). If/when that happens trade Jimmy in a package for an upgrade somewhere else.

Agreed. If we're going to compare Schneider to one of the Wings goalies as far as value it would be akin to trading Mrazek right now.

His age and potential would make him worth a top 10 pick.

Howard is older, signed to a longer and more expensive contract and probably doesn't have a lot of growth left. We would need a good set of circumstances to be able to get that kind of return on him. Perhaps a contending team has an injured starter at the deadline and needs a goalie for the playoffs. I could see Howard being moved in that kind of situation.

I think we go into the season with a 1a/1b scenario.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Vancouver traded Cory "Rob" Schenider (i forgot how to spell it) At the draft in '13? Maybe it was '14 for the for NJS 1st round pick

Not sure where you got 09 from :laugh:

damicius

Dec 10, 2008
Prague
I totally forgot about that deal, and if some team offered a top10 pick for Howard, I'd move him in a minute.

schneider was 27 at the time of trade with two years contract. Howard is 31 with relatively large contract

thats a huge difference in value.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
How are people not getting that if the Wings are in a Luongo/Schneider situation that Howard is the Luongo?

Longer deal, more established veteran, less valuable because of deal.

Mrazek is Schneider... you know, if he continues to do what he's done this series for a whole season. Younger, much cheaper, but with a lesser proven period of hockey.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Never say never, man. Never say never.

Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest for Holland to send Mrazek down to GR next season and sign some slightly less broken down version of Gustavsson to back Howard up. It will be the old "we don't want Mrazek being a backup in Detroit when he can play 60+ games in Grand Rapids".

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
When does Mrazek's waiver exemption end?

Edit: I was wrong. He's exempt through the end of 15-16, or until 80 games played. He's at 43, if they include playoffs, which I believe they do.

Last edited:

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
Vancouver traded Cory "Rob" Schenider (i forgot how to spell it) At the draft in '13? Maybe it was '14 for the for NJS 1st round pick

Not sure where you got 09 from :laugh:

Haha seriously?? It really seems like its been longer than that. Thats what I get for not fact checking lol.

But yeah Howard is the Luongo of that deal. Hooefully Holland doesnt botch the situation as bad as Gillis did. (that was vancouvers gm right?

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
When does Mrazek's waiver exemption end?

I would imagine that regardless of the waiver exemption period, after Mrazek's play this season + in the playoffs, he'd get the opportunity to play for DRW next season full time. He's earned it, even more than any season prior. Last season, with Howard out, Detroit turned to Gustavsson in a playoff series rather than Mrazek. This season, Mrazek earned himself the opportunity to start each playoff game. Even when Gustavsson came back from his injury, Mrazek played above him. Detroit would be keeping him up no matter what in 2016.

SlickHands

Apr 11, 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
The Wings situation hasn't been toxic like the Vancouver one... Vancouver absolutely destroyed a contending franchise with that controversy... and, as evidenced by being down 3-1 to the Flames of all franchises, they still haven't recovered.

I don't think that could or would happen to the Wings, so the comparison isn't really helpful. Nobody in the Wings management is dumb enough to give a goalie the C, or flip flop and make false promises to the netminders about their roles or their futures. We also don't have the media playing mind games with our goalies after humiliating finals losses either. So, a goalie battle shouldn't cause the same kind of environment as it did in Vancouver.

It's really pretty clear what will happen at this point. Mrazek has the net and it's his job to lose. If he has a good stretch next year and shows he is the future, I could see Howard gone as early as the trade deadline (although the return will likely be minor). Howard has no one to blame but himself, and if he wants the job back he'll have to play like it.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Edit: I was wrong. He's exempt through the end of 15-16, or until 80 games played. He's at 43, if they include playoffs, which I believe they do.

Thanks.

So the possibility of him starting in GR next year still remains but with they way he's playing now there is absolutely zero chance anyone with a brain would send him down to GR in order to play some washed up vet..........hmmmm I feel like I've said this in the past :sarcasm:

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Thanks.

So the possibility of him starting in GR next year still remains but with they way he's playing now there is absolutely zero chance anyone with a brain would send him down to GR in order to play some washed up vet..........hmmmm I feel like I've said this in the past :sarcasm:

I think Gustaffsson is too inconsistent health wise for Petr the Great to not be the backup next year. Though this song and dance does seem really familiar. :rant:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Thanks.

With a GM that was a former goalie never good enough for the NHL, and who's also ultra-conservative?

Yeah, don't say there's not a chance.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Howard is a very good goalie when healthy and right. He's not overpaid either. The Wings should be able to unload him quite easily and get something of value back.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Howard is a very good goalie when healthy and right. He's not overpaid either. The Wings should be able to unload him quite easily and get something of value back.

I don't think we'll see Howard shipped out until it gets to the point where we have to pay Mrazek and can't afford to have both. Until then we will run a 1A/1B. With how inconsistent goalies are, I don't hate it .

Edit: wrong again today. Is Mrazek's contract up at the end of this year? What's his next contract gonna look like?

Last edited:

SlickHands

Apr 11, 2014
Cleveland, Ohio

While Howard isn't as bad as some Wings fans make him out to be, he's not nearly as good as others make him out to be. His numbers have consistently been middle-to-below the league average in most categories. I think he's a little bit better than his numbers indicate, due to health and being on a so/so Wings squad lately. But I really don't see many franchises having a need for a 5 million backup on the wrong side of 30.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
While Howard isn't as bad as some Wings fans make him out to be, he's not nearly as good as others make him out to be. His numbers have consistently been middle-to-below the league average in most categories. I think he's a little bit better than his numbers indicate, due to health and being on a so/so Wings squad lately. But I really don't see many franchises having a need for a 5 million backup on the wrong side of 30.

Howard has had top 10 sv% (among starters) in 3 of his 6 years as a starter. 4 of his 6 years as a starter Howard has finished 17th (among starters) or better in sv% (+1 year exactly 20 and one year 22).

I'd say Howard has consistently been middle-to-above the league average.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad