Jimmy Howard vs Petr Mrazek (The Long Off-Season Begins)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
This is where we talk about the goalie battle.

hV8mqP2.png

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Note: if you flame or troll each other, you will be subject to infractions. This is your warning.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I really like the direction Mrazek is heading in, his talent level, and his swagger.

But Jimmy is still my go-to guy right now. Not much of a controversy to me.

We will have a great goalie tandem next year, and probably for the next few after that. We are very lucky in that respect, we have 3 NHL goalie's right now, and we have great depth at the position. Eventually when they are both commanding starting money, we can just trade one for some assets. It's a win-win.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Mrazek > Howard
Atleast if you're interviewing the wings D corps...his ability to play the puck helps them in ways Howard only can dream of.

Them saying Mrazek is better at playing the puck, is NOT the same as them saying that Mrazek is better overall.

Would bet those guys would take Howard if they had to choose in a must-win game.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Edge to Mrazek for puckhandling and shootouts.

Edge to Howard for everything else.

In terms of who I want starting, it's still Howard. His stats are better for a reason. He has much better consistency and rebound control. Mrazek needs to work on that. Within a couple years he'll surpass Howard but not now.

HomersWorld

Mar 8, 2012
I have two thoughts right now:

• I really, really missed Petr's puck moving tonight.
• I think you gotta give Jimmy the chance to get back to where he was before the injury.

Detroit Sports*

The fact that a 30 year old making 6 million is in a "battle" with a 22 yr old rookie tells me all I need to know. Cap hit alone id be looking to move Howard.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I hate that this thread even exists. I am a big Mrazek fan, but his time is not now, this is extremely pre-mature.

As others have stated outside of puck-handling and shootouts there is little to nothing Mrazek has the advantage in. I think he is the future, but the future is not now for a good reason. He has some things to work on and we have a very solid #1 goalie. We should be pinching ourselves at having a good situation, unfortunately that isn't the case I guess...

Grandpa_e3efae_976974.gif

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
The fact that a 30 year old making 6 million is in a "battle" with a 22 yr old rookie tells me all I need to know. Cap hit alone id be looking to move Howard.

It's only a "battle" to a select few. Most Wings fans are far more comfortable with Howard.

Detroit Sports*

It's only a "battle" to a select few. Most Wings fans are far more comfortable with Howard.

Because of what exactly? What has Howard EVER done in his career? Make one all star game?

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I hate that this thread even exists. I am a big Mrazek fan, but his time is not now, this is extremely pre-mature.

As others have stated outside of puck-handling and shootouts there is little to nothing Mrazek has the advantage in. I think he is the future, but the future is not now for a good reason. He has some things to work on and we have a very solid #1 goalie. We should be pinching ourselves at having a good situation, unfortunately that isn't the case I guess...

I'm just baffled by it. I like Mrazek more than Howard, but Howard is so clearly better than Petr right now it is not even funny. MOD.

Last edited by a moderator:

Detroit Sports*

That's your opinion it's pre mature. Watching Howard tonight makes them very comparable like it or not. And believe it or not Howard's leach is pretty short. He won't retire as a red wing make my words

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
That's your opinion it's pre mature. Watching Howard tonight makes them very comparable like it or not. And believe it or not Howard's leach is pretty short. He won't retire as a red wing make my words

That would be the future and not the present, you ignore Petr taking it on the chin on Wednesday?

I never said he would finish his career a Red Wings. In fact I have been pretty far from that opinion for a long time now. That isn't tomorrow, nor should it be tomorrow.

Detroit Sports*

That would be the future and not the present, you ignore Petr taking it on the chin on Wednesday?

I never said he would finish his career a Red Wings. In fact I have been pretty far from that opinion for a long time now. That isn't tomorrow, nor should it be tomorrow.

He is a rookie. He will have bad games. That's why he needs to start now and get more reps. Howard will never deliver when it counts and I have his entire career as evidence. Never been past the two round. He is no savior. He is an average starter in the nhl that's why he couldn't even make the wings until he was like 25

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
He is a rookie. He will have bad games. That's why he needs to start now and get more reps. Howard will never deliver when it counts and I have his entire career as evidence. Never been past the two round. He is no savior. He is an average starter in the nhl that's why he couldn't even make the wings until he was like 25

He doesn't have to be a savior he just has to be good.

Howard's stats are great. To say that he's not great because he hasn't won the cup is ridiculous. You're using extremely faulty logic. Beyond ridiculous.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
What's great about this thread is that you can take a guy like me, who has played at every level other than the A and N as a goalie and it doesn't mean much of anything. I can give a detailed report of what Mrazek needs to work on before he even contends for the starting spot but it's futile because the arm chair goalies think they know more than I do. Because, you know, they spent 20+ years playing the position 12 months out of the year.

It's like taking medical advice from someone who went on WebMD and got their information as opposed to someone who has practiced it for 25+ years.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
What's great about this thread is that you can take a guy like me, who has played at every level other than the A and N as a goalie and it doesn't mean much of anything. I can give a detailed report of what Mrazek needs to work on before he even contends for the starting spot but it's futile because the arm chair goalies think they know more than I do. Because, you know, they spent 20+ years playing the position 12 months out of the year.

It's like taking medical advice from someone who went on WebMD and got their information as opposed to someone who has practiced it for 25+ years.

While I certainly believe you, appealing to authority isn't the best way to settle an argument. I'd prefer you give us your insight and outline your opinions, because I'm confident it's interesting and it would help move the discussion in positive directions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad