Jimmy Howard vs Petr Mrazek (The Long Off-Season Begins)

Status
Not open for further replies.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
That is more than fair enough to say, I didn't take that in any wrong way whatsoever. My first post in this thread more or less stemmed from trying to explain, for months, that Howard is the better option than Mrazek in which I've gone into some detail. People have their opinions, and I respect that, but I've played the position for a long time and am very, very good at it. That should hold some weight, doesn't seem to however.

Gotta admit though, when Babcock was talking to Mrazek just before the shootout I was wondering if he was asking him if he was ready to hop in the net :laugh:

No worries mate. I was just unsure how I was gonna sound coming off like that and didn't want you to get all defensive over it. No biggie.

wingsfan33

Jun 12, 2013
Mrazek is gonna be a star elite goalie , not doubt in my mind ... If we were smart we'd keep mrazek who's 8 yrs younger and get a solid veteran backup goalie and not a monster type who's always hurt ... Howard could be used in a blockbuster trade with someone like a flyers team who desperately needs a goalie and we can trade with to get a good dman +

Philadelphia , maybe stl if they tank in the playoffs again ... Edmonton,San Jose and canucks are all teams I can see maybe having interest

Howard + for Brent burns would be perfect but sj would never do it cause burns is a beast

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
That is more than fair enough to say, I didn't take that in any wrong way whatsoever. My first post in this thread more or less stemmed from trying to explain, for months, that Howard is the better option than Mrazek in which I've gone into some detail. People have their opinions, and I respect that, but I've played the position for a long time and am very, very good at it. That should hold some weight, doesn't seem to however.

Gotta admit though, when Babcock was talking to Mrazek just before the shootout I was wondering if he was asking him if he was ready to hop in the net :laugh:

the problem is that in the age of the internet, anyone can pretend to be anyone. people are always going to be skeptical of what other people claim to be on an Internet message board. That's why you're better off not even mentioning anything about your credentials and let your posts speak for themselves. People aren't going to take you more/less seriously regardless of what you say your credentials are

Anyways, the worst part about all of this is that it's only a few people on here that truly believe that mrazek is better right now, which is ruining the gdt's for everyone else

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi

In regards to the Babs talking to Petr part I am surprised why this hasn't happened before. Not specifically just with Petr but I know it could backfire not being stretched out in addition to being warmed up and all. But if one goalie is just that bad at shootouts why not switch him out with one who fares better.

I can see why he would prefer not to do such things. But prior to tonight (Howie did play the shootout well tonight) being a 1 outta 3 save to goal ratio I could see where he might be more interested in giving it a try.

Last edited:

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
the problem is that in the age of the internet, anyone can pretend to be anyone. people are always going to be skeptical of what other people claim to be on an Internet message board. That's why you're better off not even mentioning anything about your credentials and let your posts speak for themselves. People aren't going to take you more/less seriously regardless of what you say your credentials are

Anyways, the worst part about all of this is that it's only a few people on here that truly believe that mrazek is better right now, which is ruining the gdt's for everyone else
You trying to Catfish me Chance?

In regards to the Babs talking to Petr part I am surprised why this hasn't happened before. Not specifically just with Petr but I know it could backfire not being stretched out in addition to being warmed up and all. But if one goalie is just that bad at shootouts why not switch him out with one who fares better.

I can see why he would prefer not to do such things. But prior to tonight (Howie did play the shootout well tonight) being a 1 in 3 save to goal ratio I could see where he might be more interested in giving it a try.
If they were struggling for points, in general, I feel it might be something they would explore. But I don't think they'd ultimately go through with it. I did find it funny that Mick and Ken were talking about Winnipeg maybe pulling their goalie in OT when they were on the PP...

Ummmm, why would Winnipeg do that when they know Howard will be in net for the SO? At this point if I'm the other team and I go into OT I'm hoping I get to the shootout. There's an 80% chance I get another point out of it...

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI

It doesn't hold weight because being good at something doesn't automatically make you an authority on it. Gretzky was the greatest hockey player of all time yet couldn't coach for ****. Theres a hundred other examples out there of all world players that were horrible as talent evaluators and team builders. See one Thomas, Isaiah as an example. Point is you're claiming to be a former minor league goalie on a message board assuming your opinion matters more than others. While you may have been and may become the greatest goalie coach the world has ever seen until that time no one gives a ****. No matter how many times you say it.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

I can see why he would prefer not to do such things. But prior to tonight (Howie did play the shootout well tonight) being a 1 in 3 save to goal ratio I could see where he might be more interested in giving it a try.

Part of why they're sticking with Howard full time is that they're not overreacting to a small sample size. Howard's been terrible this year but he hasn't over his career. Plus, he's been pretty good on facing breakaways and the like in regulation play.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I've heard much worse on the ice and I do tend to take criticism rather well. Cheers.

I appreciate people being civil about this. Thanks, everybody. It's nice to see. :nod:

But I hope we can focus on the hockey opinions now! And I think TatarTangle did bring up some very valid points. I played goalie, too, and I do see where he's coming from. I think it's frustrating for a goalie because sometimes we feel our position isn't all that understood by coaches and players, other than "did the puck go in?"

I grew up in an era where people said "put the fat kid in net." That's obviously changed, but ya know.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Part of why they're sticking with Howard full time is that they're not overreacting to a small sample size. Howard's been terrible this year but he hasn't over his career. Plus, he's been pretty good on facing breakaways and the like in regulation play.

It is not really small sample size my argument is. It is just that he hasn't done well in it (he did well tonight in that aspect) and with the season coming to a close with points being a huge deal towards playoff placement I could see the line of reasoning of what the hell it might get us a second point in game x.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
And the thing about it is that it's a pretty simple fix. It's not that he's bad at stopping breakaway attempts like you said, he's actually great at it IMO. But given the amount of time that shooters have in the SO it's just that he overthinks it. Oh man, don't even get me started on the ******** move forwards pull out when the pretty much come to a complete stop. But he doesn't have a chance to overthink it during regulation or OT because they're moving so much faster, it's just him reacting.

It was tough for me to judge him in the SO today because while he did save 3 of 4 I did feel the Winnipeg shooters kind of helped him out. The Red Wings helped Winnipeg out for that matter too. He looked uncomfortable out there in general though but I'm willing to give him another game or two to really get back in the swing of things. And considering who the Red Wings are playing I hope he gets back to game shape sooner rather than later.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
I appreciate people being civil about this. Thanks, everybody. It's nice to see. :nod:

But I hope we can focus on the hockey opinions now! And I think TatarTangle did bring up some very valid points. I played goalie, too, and I do see where he's coming from. I think it's frustrating for a goalie because sometimes we feel our position isn't all that understood by coaches and players, other than "did the puck go in?"

I grew up in an era where people said "put the fat kid in net." That's obviously changed, but ya know.
No. Never. Don't know what you're talking about.

In honor of Sergei being inducted into the Michigan HoF

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
All of this. Howie sucks at shootouts too. Mrazek will eventually surpass Howard in just a few years.

I thought shoot-outs were going to be eliminated from the game in favor of 3 vs 3?

I like Mrazek, think he's going to be a good goalie some day, but he's just not there yet. Howard is bar none the better goalie without question.

CanadaIsIrrelevant

Mar 20, 2011
Sweden
The Monster is tradeable now.

This season and onward to playoffs.
#1 Howard
#2 Mrazek
#3 Gustavsson if Howard or Mrazek sustains injury.

I want next season to be.
#1Howard
#2Mrazek

It's time.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I don't trust either one of them. Howard is probably a bit better but he doesn't give you the sort of goaltending that makes you feel 100% comfortable with your goalie situation either. It's Tim Cheveldae all over again.

Hunting Bow*

I don't trust either one of them. Howard is probably a bit better but he doesn't give you the sort of goaltending that makes you feel 100% comfortable with your goalie situation either. It's Tim Cheveldae all over again.

My point exactly (Cheveldae).

Howard is Hollands 6m dollar mistake. On the record: The Detroit Red Wings will never lift the cup with Howard as the goalie. He has never stole a series.

Middle of the pack goalie at best.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
He is a rookie. He will have bad games. That's why he needs to start now and get more reps. Howard will never deliver when it counts and I have his entire career as evidence. Never been past the two round. He is no savior. He is an average starter in the nhl that's why he couldn't even make the wings until he was like 25

You realize most of the teams he's had haven't been good enough to get past the second round, right?

The team that took the Hawks to seven was the exception.

Detroit Sports*

Mrazek is gonna be a star elite goalie , not doubt in my mind ... If we were smart we'd keep mrazek who's 8 yrs younger and get a solid veteran backup goalie and not a monster type who's always hurt ... Howard could be used in a blockbuster trade with someone like a flyers team who desperately needs a goalie and we can trade with to get a good dman +

Philadelphia , maybe stl if they tank in the playoffs again ... Edmonton,San Jose and canucks are all teams I can see maybe having interest

Howard + for Brent burns would be perfect but sj would never do it cause burns is a beast

This is exactly what I have been saying although

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
You realize most of the teams he's had haven't been good enough to get past the second round, right?

The team that took the Hawks to seven was the exception.

And even then, that team was severely outgunned by the Hawks. The only reason that series went 7 was Jimmy Howard.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
This is exactly what I have been saying although

And it is still a terrible idea. Handing the reins to a rookie who has been very good but not great is a bad idea. It's one thing to have Mrazek pressed into action because people got hurt. It is something completely different to willingly trade away a goalie who routinely posts sv% of near .920 to let a rookie run the team.

Plus, if Howard is as terrible as you say, why would anyone give up anything worth a damn for him? Teams aren't in the business of trading good assets for bad... And the way you think about Howard is that he's a lemon among lemons.

Hunting Bow*

And it is still a terrible idea. Handing the reins to a rookie who has been very good but not great is a bad idea. It's one thing to have Mrazek pressed into action because people got hurt. It is something completely different to willingly trade away a goalie who routinely posts sv% of near .920 to let a rookie run the team.

Plus, if Howard is as terrible as you say, why would anyone give up anything worth a damn for him? Teams aren't in the business of trading good assets for bad... And the way you think about Howard is that he's a lemon among lemons.

Were you ok when they did it with Osgood and Howard? The same Osgood who in my opinion was getting the 2009 Conn Smythe if the Wings had won the cup.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I'd say Chicago played like crap for 3 games.

People tend to lionize that series. Chicago looked like Detroit did through the mid 2000s in early rounds: Go in thinking they will walk all over the lesser team, loss a couple ****** games and then realize they actually have to show up.

Detroit wasn't about to beat Chicago, Chicago almost beat themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad