Speculation: Jimmy Hayes Hearing Trade Rumors

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
You may see it that way, but plenty of people don't. They are equal calibre of prospect and that's why they keep rotating ranking
Imo Byfield has the highest ceiling of the top guys. Not saying he’s the best prospect, but if he hits that ceiling he’s going to be more impactful than even Lafreniere. It’s the “if” with Byfield though.

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
You can't even say that Gaudreau for Voracek and Ghost does nothing for Calgary. That is such a debilitating trade that it would probably set back the team for 5 years. We take on more salary for older, worse players. The equivalent of trading a silver dollar for two subway floor quarters
Might as well give Philly Monahan and Dube if Philly generously gives us Niskanen in return.
Make it a huge trade that completely favors Philly by a landslide.
Freaking people and their rumors. Awful.

Reactions: Mobiandi

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I don’t see why there is still chatter of Sens trading to 1st ov. There is absolutely no need to. We could be picking the player with the most potential in the draft at 3. And obviously 3/1 wouldn’t get it done. Rangers have no reason to give up 1st ov and it would be an overpayment to get it, but guess what. It’s the exact same for the Sens.
We don’t need to trade for the pick. Much less give up Tkachuk who will probably be 30pts or so below Laf a year. But with more of a grit and pest attitude. AND a player with potentially a higher ceiling than Laf? Just lol

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I would imagine it would have to be a big something else in terms of contract value going back to Philly, maybe Lucic?

Gaudreau (2yr 6.75M)
Lucic (3yr 5.25M)

Voracek (4 yr 8.25M)
Gostisbehere (3yr 4.5M)
Morgan Frost

Both teams dump bad contracts.

Flames add a legit top line power forward, a PP QB to replace Gustafsson, and a solid C prospect.

Flyers get their hometown superstar winger that elevates them to a legit contender, and pick up a physical playoff veteran for their bottom 6.

Does either team do this?

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
I feel like the only reason the Sens would overpay like that is so they could have the French Canadian face of the franchise. Maybe that’s just me but it seems marketable from an ownership perspective.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Imo Byfield has the highest ceiling of the top guys. Not saying he’s the best prospect, but if he hits that ceiling he’s going to be more impactful than even Lafreniere. It’s the “if” with Byfield though.
Again to each thrir own. To me Laf is simply on a higher level than everyone, even if everyone peaks. And Byfield/Stutzle are at the same tier just below him.

Reactions: bl02

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I don’t see why there is still chatter of Sens trading to 1st ov. There is absolutely no need to. We could be picking the player with the most potential in the draft at 3. And obviously 3/1 wouldn’t get it done. Rangers have no reason to give up 1st ov and it would be an overpayment to get it, but guess what. It’s the exact same for the Sens.
We don’t need to trade for the pick. Much less give up Tkachuk who will probably be 30pts or so below Laf a year. But with more of a grit and pest attitude. AND a player with potentially a higher ceiling than Laf? Just lol
Youre making it sound like its a good thing Ottawa is picking 3rd... Lafreniere is a much better prospect than Byfield..

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Youre making it sound like its a good thing Ottawa is picking 3rd... Lafreniere is a much better prospect than Byfield..

I do think it’s a good thing Ottawa is picking 3rd. Obviously 1st is the best but it gives us a super easy first pick. There’s 3 top studs in the draft rn with Laf obviously being the best. We pick whatever they don’t. Laf is a better prospect rn, but there’s potential that Byfields ceiling being the highest. So I’m more than happy to pick 3rd if he doesn’t go 2nd.
What I was getting at is there’s no way in hell it’s worth it for Ottawa to trade 3rd ov when he can be a better player, fits Otts position need and give away Tkachuk in the same deal. That’s ridiculous from an Ottawa pov, and Idk if that would even be enough to make Rangers say yes because they have no need to.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I do think it’s a good thing Ottawa is picking 3rd. Obviously 1st is the best but it gives us a super easy first pick. There’s 3 top studs in the draft rn with Laf obviously being the best. We pick whatever they don’t. Laf is a better prospect rn, but there’s potential that Byfields ceiling being the highest. So I’m more than happy to pick 3rd if he doesn’t go 2nd.
What I was getting at is there’s no way in hell it’s worth it for Ottawa to trade 3rd ov when he can be a better player and give away Tkachuk in the same deal. That’s ridiculous from an Ottawa pov, and Idk if that would even be enough to make Rangers say yes because they have no need to.
Its very unlikely Byfield ends up better than Lafreniere. Ill just leave it at that.

Reactions: bl02

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ

You made some good points but lost it all in those last couple of sentences. Let's not pretend that which ever player you get at 3 isn't worth moving for Lafreniere just because you don't like the rumored premium to get there...

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
You made some good points but lost it all in those last couple of sentences. Let's not pretend that which ever player you get at 3 isn't worth moving for Lafreniere just because you don't like the rumored premium to get there...

If the rumoured premium is Tkachuk? Come on. Obviously as a Sens fan I’m not going to like that premium when he fits great here in Ott and loosing him + a 3rd ov would open 2 holes. Laf would only fill 1 hole

Reactions: Flyer lurker

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
If the rumoured premium is Tkachuk? Come on. Obviously as a Sens fan I’m not going to like that premium when he fits great here in Ott and loosing him + a 3rd ov would open 2 holes. Laf would only fill 1 hole

I'm not saying you're wrong about Tkachuk...that part makes total sense to me and I wouldn't pay it if I was the Sens. What doesn't make sense is further justifying not making the deal by saying on top of losing Tkachuk, you're getting a player at 3 who could end up better than Laf. Sure, it's not impossible, but at this moment that's not the right reason to nix this deal.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
On the Missin Curfew Podcast, former NHL’er Jimmy Hayes says he’s heard a few trade rumors.

- Ryan Danato to Nashville
- Gaudreau and something else to Philly for Voracek and Ghost
- NYR 1stOA pick for Brady Tkachuk + 3rdOA

To my knowledge Jimmy Hayes has never broken a trade so take it for what it’s worth. However he works out with Danato every day, his brother plays for Philly and both Jimmy and Kevin are close friends with Gaudreau, and Brady Tkachuk is his cousin.

Are Y’all as excited as I am to find out what Jimmy Hayes will hear tomorrow?

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Honestly I'm not sure if there is that big of a difference between B Tkachuk and Lafreniere, let alone adding Stutzle, who has very real the most impactful NHL player from this draft. Brady is going to be one of the hardest wingers in the league to play against for the next decade.

More realistic premium would be an asset like Brannstrom and a mid round pick.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
for me, that becomes a harder deal to decline.

Byfield and Brady? that's size, skill.

that would be hard decision to make

No its not its a slam dunk. The only reason this would be offered is Melnyk doesn't want to pay Tkachuk next year.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I'm not the biggest Byfield fan. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong and I'll eat my hat, but I'm very concerned about his game taking off at the NHL level. The gap control is much different and most of the games / highlights I've seen come from having tons of space. I don't think an NHL team should rush him in the line-up next season. Best of luck to the kid. I think he's going 2nd anyway so it's probably irrelevant. Stutzle is so shifty on his skates, almost Barzel like, except he doesn't hold the puck as long. I think he's going to have some fun in the NHL if things go right.

Value aside, it's always tough giving up the #1 pick in any trade.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I'm not the biggest Byfield fan. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong and I'll eat my hat, but I'm very concerned about his game taking off at the NHL level. The gap control is much different and most of the games / highlights I've seen come from having tons of space. I don't think an NHL team should rush him in the line-up next season. Best of luck to the kid. I think he's going 2nd anyway so it's probably irrelevant. Stutzle is so shifty on his skates, almost Barzel like, except he doesn't hold the puck as long. I think he's going to have some fun in the NHL if things go right.

Value aside, it's always tough giving up the #1 pick in any trade.
I noticed the same with Byfield

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
I’m conflicted.

The Rangers have a ton of depth on the wings, so it would make sense for them to trade for Tkachuk and possibly Byfield. You get a Top 6 Left Wing who makes you tougher to play against, and a potential Franchise Center.

Still though, how often does the #1 overall get traded? Just take the pick and run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad