Speculation: Jimmy Hayes Hearing Trade Rumors

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
The Sens may have offered #3 + #5 and the Rangers countered with asking for #3 and Tkachuk. To which Dorion said no. He’s not trading Tkachuk. If that #3 and Tkachuk is real, it would have come via the Rangers ask, not the Sens offer.
This could be true or some variation of it. Likely what happened is Ottawa called the Rangers and asked about the price. The Rangers likely said we want at least 3 and Tkachuk, and that was the end of the call. Someone might have leaked that and now it's assumed it was spoken about at length as a legitimate conversation.

Reactions: Clayonator

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I swear If Dorion is f***ing dumb enough to do that trade for Ott... Idc who your boss is. That would just be an embarrassment to give Up a 3rd ov who can be better than Laf and on top of that Tkachuk

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I'm not arguing that.

I just mentioned why LaF is more valuable on a trade market than Past.

If the Bruins called up and made that offer, the Rangers would say no.

You are completely ignoring DeBrusk. If Boston came calling offering DeBrusk and Pastrnak for AL,
NY not saying no. AL isn't Crosby, Malkin or Ovechkin.
Get a grip pal. Boston would never make that trade
and I wouldn't either.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
The only way this Brady +3OA for Laf is true is if Melnyk is on the verge of selling the team.
Acquiring Laf (potential Quebecois superstar) on top of Chabot (Quebecois superstar) as the cornerstones of the franchise and selling to that one Quebec-backed billionaire group (Circ-du Soleil?) makes some sense.

The value is atrocious though: Brady + Byfield/Stutzle >> Laf.
Cirque du soleil : https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/cirque-du-soleil-bankruptcy-1.5631354

And I would stop thinking that having a french speaking star in Ottawa would make a difference

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I don't

Not enough of a premium to move the #1 overall

This is a Franchise altering trade.

you don't do that for "fair" value.
I'm not advocating nor turning down the trade. But where do people see Lafreniere vs the other players in his class? Is he a huge step up from 2 or 3? If the gap between #1 and those players isn't that far off, then that's a pretty good premium. #3, and an NHL proven previous top pick. If the Rangers see him as the difference between Crosby and Bobby Ryan, then obviously, no, that's not gonna happen then. If they don't rate Lafreniere in that tier above, that's pretty close to a premium, in my opinion. It's where the Rangers see the top pick, and how they view the players under him.

Reactions: pld459666

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Donato to Nashville seems likely. The rest seem like some Commodore attention seeking lol.
A lot of NHL players are trying to take this path to stay relevant after hockey after Spittin Chiclets blew up. See Versteeg and Avery both trying to do analysis this playoffs hoping to land a job, Bieksa and Kesler did this till Bieksa got a job. Commodore does just fine with his “in on” schtick.

Reactions: skinnyFAT91

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
You are completely ignoring DeBrusk. If Boston came calling offering DeBrusk and Pastrnak for AL,
NY not saying no. AL isn't Crosby, Malkin or Ovechkin.
Get a grip pal. Boston would never make that trade
and I wouldn't either.

And you are completely ignoring the cap, other pending RFAs, future spending on their own FAs, etc.

The #1 OV on an ELC contract is not going anyway. (And the same most likely with 3ov and Ottawa)

Also, horrible analogy bringing in Crosby and Ovi into the discussion since Pasternak is worth more on the market than they would be.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
He wouldn't want to pay Lafreniere on HIS next deal either, so at some point he has to pay the piper. Shit or get off the pot, so to speak.

Unless he trades Laf for a young player on an entry deal and it keeps going that way.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Yes there most definitely will be. Tkachuk is getting wildly overrated around here recently.

If all goes the way it should, Lafreniere will be better than Tkachuk, but Ottawa fans have grown attached to Brady and he plays a style that will most certainly help Ottawa in the playoffs, should we ever get there.

The deal isn’t a 1 for 1. It’s Tkachuk plus the third pick for Lafreniere. I’d rather keep Tkachuk and the third pick.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
If all goes the way it should, Lafreniere will be better than Tkachuk, but Ottawa fans have grown attached to Brady and he plays a style that will most certainly help Ottawa in the playoffs, should we ever get there.

The deal isn’t a 1 for 1. It’s Tkachuk plus the third pick for Lafreniere. I’d rather keep Tkachuk and the third pick.
I agree the 3rd+ Tkachuk is way too much, but strongly disagree with Ottawa fans saying Tkachuk will be just as good as Lafreniere

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
And you are completely ignoring the cap, other pending RFAs, future spending on their own FAs, etc.

The #1 OV on an ELC contract is not going anyway. (And the same most likely with 3ov and Ottawa)

Also, horrible analogy bringing in Crosby and Ovi into the discussion since Pasternak is worth more on the market than they would be.

1) You're way overvaluing AL. Going to end up more than likely John Tavares or Tyler Seguin best case and worst case a 60 pt wing.

Last edited:

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Noooo it f***ing isn't. Rangers wouldn't be the ones adding to this trade.
I'm one of the bigger fans of Laf on these boards and that's definitely an overpayment. Tkachuk should be a ~60pt top line winger and Byfield should be around a 70pt #1C. That's worth more than a ~90pt W.

Reactions: Luckylarry

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
I'm one of the bigger fans of Laf on these boards and that's definitely an overpayment. Tkachuk should be a ~60pt top line winger and Byfield should be around a 70pt #1C. That's worth more than a ~90pt W.
And an overpayment is what it's going to take. Once again for those in the back row: THE RANGERS DON'T NEED OR WANT TO TRADE THE PICK.

Reactions: bl02

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
If Ottawa makes that trade it’s because Melnyk doesn’t want to pay Tkachuk on his next deal.
So is Melnyk going to just be perpetually kicking the can down the road? He's certainly/probably going to pay Lafreniere even more than he would have had to pay Brady in 3 years

Last edited:
Reactions: Luckylarry

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Jimmy Hayes is actually cousins with Brady Tkachuk, so it's interesting to see him throw out that rumour

Highly doubt that would actually happen though.
my guess is that's just what NYR asked for. Don't expect Ottawa to actually go through with that though. I would really want Byfield at #3 to pull that move off. Stuetzle while great would kinda put way too much talent down the left side with Panarin-Tkachuk-Kreider-Stuetzle. 1st class problem, but would be better to just have roster balance.

Reactions: SRHRangers

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Byfield goes at #2 to LA. Big drop off in potential ceiling from Byfield to Stützle. Even so, there is no way the Sens give up BT and 3 OA for Lafreniere.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Byfield goes at #2 to LA. Big drop off in potential ceiling from Byfield to Stützle. Even so, there is no way the Sens give up BT and 3 OA for Lafreniere.
You may see it that way, but plenty of people don't. They are equal calibre of prospect and that's why they keep rotating ranking

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad