Speculation: Jimmy Hayes Hearing Trade Rumors

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
I laugh at the fact of Minnesota trading Donato ; a young foward to To Nashville especiallt when Fenton isnt here anymore

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
- NYR 1stOA pick for Brady Tkachuk + 3rdOA

From a Rangers fan's perspective, the value is there. Brady is the exact type of player they're missing and one of Stutzle or Byfield would fill a glaring organizational need for them more than Lafreniere will (talent aside). But I think this is more smoke than it is fire.

I don't doubt the legitimacy of this conversation being had, but it sounds like one of those deals where both are standing on the dance floor and are too afraid to ask the other to dance. The allure alone of having a #1 OA pick means something to teams, especially the Rangers given where they're at as an organization. I think they view this opportunity as a culmination of their rebuild and a reward for their efforts to put their team in a position to be a contender in the near future. And the Sens really aren't in a position to be consolidating young talent, even if it's for a player like Lafreniere.

Reactions: Sam Pollock

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
I don't

Not enough of a premium to move the #1 overall

This is a Franchise altering trade.

you don't do that for "fair" value.
I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Laf is only slightly better than Brady over the course of their careers. Brady is a dam good player on a garbage team, plus you would get a 1C out of the deal with the #3 pick, something the Rangers really need (1/2C). If that was offered that is an overpay and those two players would have a larger positive impact than Laf by himself.

Ottawa would be dumb to offer that IMO

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I don't apply as much value to "#1" unless the player in question is a franchise transforming talent. I like Lafreniere, but I can't put him in that category. In this scenario the Rangers get a top six forward with upside/jam/leadership qualities as well as one of Byfield/Stutzle. I think that's a great haul.

As mentioned, more comfortable with Byfield/Brady, but not sold on that being enough

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Melnyk would have to be terrified of giving Tkachuk a new contract and absolutely convinced that Lafreniere was going to be a marketing goldmine in order for them to offer that.

That being said, the idea that Lafreniere is going to be only marginally better than Tkachuk is hilarious.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Laf is only slightly better than Brady over the course of their careers. Brady is a dam good player on a garbage team, plus you would get a 1C out of the deal with the #3 pick, something the Rangers really need (1/2C). If that was offered that is an overpay and those two players would have a larger positive impact than Laf by himself.

I would. I see Brady being a Landeskog type player, which is obviously still a really good player. Laf though I could see being a lot more special than that.

I would prefer the Rangers just keep 1 and take him.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC

I guarantee a year from now Brady's value will have taken an astronomical jump.

On one of the worst offensive teams in the league, he had the 7th most SOG, but scored at a putrid 8%, for only 21 goals.

He is a lock for 30 goals minimum if we get an 82 game season, even more if all the young talent the Sens come close to meeting their projections.

Ottawa also had the worst PP in the league, it cant be any worse than it was, so even an easy 3-5% increase will help his production as well.

Reactions: malcb33

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I would. I see Brady being a Landeskog type player, which is obviously still a really good player. Laf though I could see being a lot more special than that.

I would prefer the Rangers just keep 1 and take him.

You think the difference between Lafreniere and Byfield/Stutzle is worth passing up also getting a Landeskog-type player?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Can I just point out something obvious here?

Players don't know they are being shopped. If the trade falls through then you have a disgruntled player.

Players absolutely know when they are being shopped. Agents get wind of their players being shopped around almost immediately when this stuff happens. Players often know when there's even whispers or when they are being asked about but when it gets to being shopped around, they are fully aware.

Reactions: 7thRoundPick

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I guarantee a year from now Brady's value will have taken an astronomical jump.

On one of the worst offensive teams in the league, he had the 7th most SOG, but scored at a putrid 8%, for only 21 goals.

He is a lock for 30 goals minimum if we get an 82 game season.

If you watch him play a lot it's obvious why his shooting percentage is low. Brady doesn't have a good shot and the guy shoots from pretty much anywhere (takes a lot of low percentage shots).

I'd be careful projecting significant goal totals for him in the future based on shot totals alone.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
The difference between Lafreniere and Byfield/Stutzle is obviously not enough to be worth also getting Tkachuk - a future 1st line powerforward.

Crazy to think that it would be.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

I like Brady. Been fans of the Tkachuk's going back to when his father played. Had hopes of the Rangers targeting him back in the day. They missed the boat there.

I like the sandpaper to Brady's game and the fact that he is comfortable imposing his size on the opposition.

I do disagree about the potential ceilings of the players in question.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
So he knows nothing? Yeah, the NYR aren't even thinking about trading Lafreniere away. That alone tells me he has no real inside info.

Reactions: viper0220

twotonfrankie1

Sep 22, 2020
Ranger's are NOT trading away a future franchise cornerstone. Neither Tkachuk or the 3rd will likely end up being what Laf can be if he hits his potential.

Reactions: bl02

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
That Flames trade is sooooo bad...Especially when you consider how much cap the Flames take on. It would prevent the Flames from signing any free agents. The Flames would also be replacing their #1 offensive player with Voracek...Voracek would be a great complimentary player in Calgary (if he didn't come with an 8+ million cap for 4 more years), but having Voracek as the lynch pin of your offence would be a disaster. This would make the Flames such a bad team now and they get much older.

Ghost is also not playing well right now. He's an undersized offensive d-man, who's lost his offensive touch. If the Flames see something in him, you trade a lower to mid end asset for Ghost, not Gaudreau.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
I don't

Not enough of a premium to move the #1 overall

This is a Franchise altering trade.

you don't do that for "fair" value.

Just playing Devil's Advocate as a Rangers fan.

What if we took LaF, and when Ottawa picked, Byfeld is still on the board?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Can I just point out something obvious here?

Players don't know they are being shopped. If the trade falls through then you have a disgruntled player.

The fact that Hayes is buddies with these guys makes these rumours less likely, not more. He's probably just trolling his buddies.
Yeah that’s completely wrong. Not saying Hayes he any clue what he’s talking about here or anything but players definitely often know when they’re in trade rumors and they often know the teams involved. Teams who focus on acquiring specific players have their scouts talking to many people involved including player’s agents. Not so much in a “think he’ll come play here” tampering kind of way but just getting to know the players.

Players often know when teams are interested and they know when they’re in rumors. What stands out to me about Hayes rumors which makes no sense are knowing every single part of who’s involved. Even if Gaudreau is getting whispers from people close to him that he’s going to Philly I highly doubt he knows the names of everyone involved going back the other way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad