Confirmed with Link: JG Pageau Signed 2 year 1 way deal

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Certainly not, that's not what everyone finds absurd.

What everyone mocks you for is your insistence of having big guys, regardless of their talents.

If you had your way, Paul would be suited up over Pageau, regardless of Pageau being our best bottom 6 player and Paul being awful in the AHL, that's the type of thinking that people question you for.

As well as essentially coming to conclusions depending on size.

Nope that's incorrect .... at times I do think some big guys are better than they turn out to be but I like big talented players like Mark Stone, Simmons, Lucic etc... I'm often wrong just like some are wrong about some small guys being very good. Most on here thought Filatov was going to be a superstar. It happens we aren't always right. I don't think Paul is ready yet for the NHL, if you will notice I wrote the word "eventually" in the sentence, that doesn't mean now.

I also don't think I'm the only one who thinks Paul will be an NHL player, he has all the tools & was very good during this past development camp & rookie tournament, I don't believe I was the only one to say so. Just like I think Lindberg is going to be a good NHL player & he is not having a very good yr in Bingo either but he is big & talented. I think one other thing to note is that the NHL is changing with less fighting & even less hitting there seems to be a trend towards smaller faster players.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Where's Conacher, Petersson, Sorenson, Locke, SDC ....?

Huh? I never championed any of those players except SDC. He should have stayed the year Spezza left. It would have helped the team with the skill we lost when Spezza left.

What everyone mocks you for is your insistence of having big guys, regardless of their talents.

If you had your way, Paul would be suited up over Pageau, regardless of Pageau being our best bottom 6 player and Paul being awful in the AHL, that's the type of thinking that people question you for.

Well said.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

No. He's right!! Size is what matters!!

NHL Lineup should be:

DD-Paul-Robinson
Greening - Smith - Lindberg
Michalek - Z-bad - Chiasson
Ryan-Ewanyk-Stone

Cowen-Wiercioch
Sdao-Harpur
Fraser-Lepine

O'Connor
Driedger

Biggest lineup we can ice.

Looks awesome to me. :sarcasm:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Huh? I never championed any of those players except SDC. He should have stayed the year Spezza left. It would have helped the team with the skill we lost when Spezza left.

Well said.

We had many arguments over Conacher, I recall.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Nope that's incorrect .... at times I do think some big guys are better than they turn out to be but I like big talented players like Mark Stone, Simmons, Lucic etc... I'm often wrong just like some are wrong about some small guys being very good. Most on here thought Filatov was going to be a superstar. It happens we aren't always right. I don't think Paul is ready yet for the NHL, if you will notice I wrote the word "eventually" in the sentence, that doesn't mean now.

I also don't think I'm the only one who thinks Paul will be an NHL player, he has all the tools & was very good during this past development camp & rookie tournament, I don't believe I was the only one to say so. Just like I think Lindberg is going to be a good NHL player & he is not having a very good yr in Bingo either but he is big & talented. I think one other thing to note is that the NHL is changing with less fighting & even less hitting there seems to be a trend towards smaller faster players.

I agree, both guys look like NHL players.

I disagree that Pageau is a throwaway because he isn't Paul's size.

If Paul is ever as good as Pageau is now, which honestly isn't very likely, it's a huge win for us.

This change has been happening for 10 years

atmx093

STUDzle
Jul 2, 2014
Gatineau
Say what you will about Pageau, I find that he's one of the few players who shows up every game. We rarely look bad because of him. If anything, he's made every single line he's been on better because he is consistent, responsible and dependable.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
We had many arguments over Conacher, I recall.

Meh, don't remember those. I just remember me being upset that we just dumped him for nothing. It was more about asset management than anything else. I was never enthused with the guy even at the time of the Bishop trade. I do prefer size if it also means there is skill behind it. If there are two equally skilled guys and one is large and one is small, I'll pick the big guy (for you) 10 out of 10. The problem is that Cameron, Murray and you are stuck in the 90's. The game is about speed and skill now.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Say what you will about Pageau, I find that he's one of the few players who shows up every game. We rarely look bad because of him. If anything, he's made every single line he's been on better because he is consistent, responsible and dependable.

That's the funniest part of this. Pageau embodies everything Aragorn loves, except one small thing...

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I agree, both guys look like NHL players.

I disagree that Pageau is a throwaway because he isn't Paul's size.

If Paul is ever as good as Pageau is now, which honestly isn't very likely, it's a huge win for us.

This change has been happening for 10 years

But I've never said Pageau is a throw away, he is an important piece to this team today as it stands. It's just that IMO we have enough good young centres coming that I think he will eventually get replaced within a few yrs & maybe even before his next contract but he might not either. White, Lazar & Paul are all natural centres.

At the same time I don't discount the fact that this organization likes him a lot & that he has a huge fan following because he is from the area, another point that seems important to this organization. All of those things could also keep him here over someone else who is not from here. It's just an opinion just like my preference for size is just a preference, it's not that big (pardon the pun) a deal. I like Kyle Turris a lot & no one would consider him big.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
i don't know that i like that a lot of his goals have been SH than at EV because he might continue w/e his EV pace is while not scoring at SH like he's doing

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

OK. You seem like a decent guy but your size bias is so bad that it taints much of what you write.

Examples:

Having Buddy Robinson on Ottawa's 3rd line (in your lineup) before he had played even played 10 AHL games (2013). He's not very good.

Projecting that Prince and Pageau were ECHLers because the team need to make room for 6'3 prospect Jakub Culek. Culek is about ready to break out I think!!:sarcasm:

Repeatedly saying that Paul could replace Pageau as early as this trade deadline and be better for it. Who wants a 3rd line centre who leads the NHL in SHG and is on pace for about 20 goals??

Talking about Harpur as a bonafide NHL prospect already despite him being ECHL calibre.

Telling me that Andrej Sustr was a much better trade target than Viktor Hedman because he's big and Hedman is soft!!:laugh:

And the whole Filatov thing? People didn't think he'd be good or that he should get a chance because he was small (he isn't) but because he was a 6th overall pick and had a history (albeit a short one) of producing at lower levels. Da Costa also had a history or producing as a pro. They didn't pan out but they sure as hell were worth more of a shot than the Dziuzynskis and Robinsons of this world.

People think these guys are good while also being smallish. You seem to think that because a player is big he must be good.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
OK. You seem like a decent guy but your size bias is so bad that it taints much of what you write.

Examples:

Having Buddy Robinson on Ottawa's 3rd line (in your lineup) before he had played even played 10 AHL games (2013). He's not very good.

Projecting that Prince and Pageau were ECHLers because the team need to make room for 6'3 prospect Jakub Culek. Culek is about ready to break out I think!!:sarcasm:

Repeatedly saying that Paul could replace Pageau as early as this trade deadline and be better for it. Who wants a 3rd line centre who leads the NHL in SHG and is on pace for about 20 goals??

Talking about Harpur as a bonafide NHL prospect already despite him being ECHL calibre.

Telling me that Andrej Sustr was a much better trade target than Viktor Hedman because he's big and Hedman is soft!!:laugh:

And the whole Filatov thing? People didn't think he'd be good or that he should get a chance because he was small (he isn't) but because he was a 6th overall pick and had a history (albeit a short one) of producing at lower levels. Da Costa also had a history or producing as a pro. They didn't pan out but they sure as hell were worth more of a shot than the Dziuzynskis and Robinsons of this world.

People think these guys are good while also being smallish. You seem to think that because a player is big he must be good.
Like I have said many times we have all been wrong I have been wrong often. Some people prefer to talk up small skilled players & I like to talk up bigger guys with potential, I don't see what is wrong with that. DD was playing pretty good before the "incident" which seems to have ended his NHL career & a lot of people on here were saying as much. Robinson is another guy who had potential & again I don't think I was the only one on here who said as much & he was expected to make his debut last yr in Ottawa until they went on that run. You make it sound like I'm way out there, I just prefer to talk about the bigger players in the organization over the little skilled players although there are some that I have talked about. I'm enthused about Paul but who knows when he will be ready, I thought he would have a better start to his pro career than he has though, that's for sure.

I mentioned how much I liked Dzingel & McCormick a few yrs back when I saw them in a Rookie tournament, how fast they were & they both fought the Rupert twins. I've always liked Puempel & I thought Wideman although small was a good skater & pt producer. I just don't talk a lot about them I prefer to talk about the guys most ignore. I don't know what happened to Culek, maybe he did suck, but after watching that one WJC that he was in, I thought he had an excellent tournament defensively as some others on here thought as well but he disappeared after that, it happens. Has every prospect you thought would make it to the NHL made it or been as good as you thought he was? Probably not, same for me. It's nonsense to say that just because a player is big he is good, but when I see them ranked in the first round then I think people a lot smarter than me seem to think they are good enough to be first rd picks especially if they have also put up some respectable numbers.

Last edited:

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
If nintendo has taught us anything is you can't go with a lineup of all fat guys. You need speed, size, and skill in a healthy mix. This is the ultimate balanced lineup:
ice-hockey-team.jpg

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Like I have said many times we have all been wrong I have been wrong often. Some people prefer to talk up small skilled players & I like to talk up bigger guys with potential, I don't see what is wrong with that. DD was playing pretty good before the "incident" which seems to have ended his NHL career & a lot of people on here were saying as much. Robinson is another guy who had potential & again I don't think I was the only one on here who said as much & he was expected to make his debut last yr in Ottawa until they went on that run. You make it sound like I'm way out there, I just prefer to talk about the bigger players in the organization over the little skilled players although there are some that I have talked about. I'm enthused about Paul but who knows when he will be ready, I thought he would have a better start to his pro career than he has though, that's for sure.

I mentioned how much I liked Dzingel & McCormick a few yrs back when I saw them in a Rookie tournament, how fast they were & they both fought the Rupert twins. I've always liked Puempel & I thought Wideman although small was a good skater & pt producer. I just don't talk a lot about them I prefer to talk about the guys most ignore. I don't know what happened to Culek, maybe he did suck, but after watching that one WJC that he was in, I thought he had an excellent tournament defensively as some others on here thought as well but he disappeared after that, it happens. Has every prospect you thought would make it to the NHL made it or been as good as you thought he was. Probably not, same for me. It's nonsense to say that just because a player is big he is good, but when I see them ranked in the first round then I think people a lot smarter than me seem to think they are good enough to be first rd picks especially if they have also put up some respectable numbers.

We're all wrong about prospects sometimes. The thing is that I'm (and most others) wrong about players of all sizes.

I thought Cowen was going to be good but I was wrong. Ditto for Wiercioch. Thankfully I was right about Stone.

I was right about Pageau. He's one of the best 3rd line centres in the league already at age 23, whether you like it or not. Prince is also going to be a pretty decent NHLer.

You only ever want to replace smaller (often effective) players with unproven big players.

Whatever makes you happy though I guess. It just strikes me as a really bad way of evaluating players.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
We're all wrong about prospects sometimes. The thing is that I'm (and most others) wrong about players of all sizes.

I thought Cowen was going to be good but I was wrong. Ditto for Wiercioch. Thankfully I was right about Stone.

I was right about Pageau. He's one of the best 3rd line centres in the league already at age 23, whether you like it or not. Prince is also going to be a pretty decent NHLer.

You only ever want to replace smaller (often effective) players with unproven big players.

Whatever makes you happy though I guess. It just strikes me as a really bad way of evaluating players.

Yip, everyone has there biases. Just some have more protruding ones than others. In Aragorn's case, it's a pretty strong one.

SensEnforcer

Nov 23, 2008
Melbourne

Based on what? He hasnt looked like a decent prospect. Looks like trade bait in a package to me

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Who cares if Pageau is small, it's not like we have 29 small forwards.

He's the only one (other than maybe Prince)... And he's really good...

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Based on what? He hasnt looked like a decent prospect. Looks like trade bait in a package to me

Which would be too bad since he's looked decent in the limited role and time he's been here. He's had his ups and downs as any rookie would, but I think he's looked pretty good considering the circumstances. Hoffman was treated similarly and people had their doubts, but that has worked out. Prince is not Hoffman, but he's like a Hoffman lite. If he gets a chance, I think he's going to be a decent NHL'er.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

He (Prince off topic) has had some really good shifts and very near misses for a couple more goals. He has shown excellent quick thinking play-making ability. IMO he has been victimized by poor decisions on the line-up. I'd like to see him get better quality minutes and line mates to see what we really have and let him play through some rookie mistakes vs being chastised, benched or put in the stands.

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He's been given some decent looks as a second line C

Not a ton of them but let's not act like he's never been tried there either

Oct 31, 2011
Ottawa
Pageau is one of the dudes who always shows up to play. He's a huge part of why our run was so great last year and he kept up his play into this year as well. Happy to have him on the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00