Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Giovanni Vallati

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
This one was hard for me. It was a toss up between Kovacevik and Gus. In the end I like David's performance to date against men as well as his performances against his age range. I think he can be a more offensive version of Lowry if he keeps developing.

Reactions: Sixty Minute Man

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
A lot of these prospects fall into a similar tier. I like Stanley, Spacek and Berdin, tough to choose.

Yup. I had Berdin, Kovacevic and Gustafsson. Stanley and a couple of others are not far behind them. I see Spacek, Gawanke and Valatti just a bit further back. Really it is getting to the point it is almost a coin toss.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Damn, sleep in this morning and the number 5 poll is already done. Moving so fast. I would’ve picked Appleton at 5 anyway.

I’m gonna go with Stanley this time. Add Skylar McKenzie.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Gusafsson takes this one IMO, and without much thought.

He's got top 6 potential and plays well in both ends of the ice.

I loved the pick and I think he's a first round talent.

Steep drop off after Gus IMO.

Agree with nearly all of this. This guy IS developing as a C (not a winger) and will probably be a lock on the Jets in future years. Would luv to see him on the Moose sooner rather than later.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
I voted for Stanley but I'm shocked that Gawanke hasn't got any votes. He's always stood out whenever I've watched him play. Looking forward to seeing how he does in the A this season

Reactions: snowkiddin

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Quick recap, using purely production and NHL equivalency conversion (points/82):

Kovacevic (age 21) 19
Gustafssson (age 18) 17
Stanley (age 20) 12
Spacek (age 21) 21
Chisholm (age 18) 18

Reactions: surixon

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
This is going to be a close one. I voted Stanley. Jets have not missed on a first round pick yet. They talked about Stanley being a project. He may take longer than Morrissey to graduate, but if he learns fundamentals, he could easily replace everything Ben Chiarot brought to the lineup. I am still hoping we add Hobey Baker finalist Suess, and 40 goal junior scorer Mc Kenzie to this discussion.

Reactions: GNP

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
This is going to be a close one. I voted Stanley. Jets have not missed on a first round pick yet. They talked about Stanley being a project. He may take longer than Morrissey to graduate, but if he learns fundamentals, he could easily replace everything Ben Chiarot brought to the lineup. I am still hoping we add Hobey Baker finalist Suess, and 40 goal junior scorer Mc Kenzie to this discussion.

Very interesting post Voyageur -- and I really liked what I saw of that Suess guy, in preseason matches. I was quite impressed with him, although he doesn't get much attention on these boards ?

I didn't know he was a Hobry Baker finalist, but I'd like to see more of him. I think he may have some upside.

I did vote for Stanley as well.

Last edited:

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Went with Gus here but Stanley should be soon on the basis that he'll almost certainly make the NHL at some point (even if bottom pairing)

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

Very interesting post Voyageur -- and I really liked what I saw of that Suess guy, in preseason matches. I was quite impressed with him, although he doesn't get much attention on these boards ?

I didn't know he was a Hobry Baker finalist, but I'd like to see more of him. I think he may have some upside.

I did vote for Stanley as well.

I think there is a tendency to vote for potential in a player, with Suess, I think he is past the point of potential. He was drafted as a 20 year old out of the USHL, then played 4 years of college. So he has an age advantage on most prospects. Given that he is 2 years away now from unrestricted free agency I would say his window is this year, or his future with the Jets is in question. The way he played in camp last year was impressive. I think he was doing well with the Moose before he got injured (in a fight?). I see him as a legitimate 4th line option this year, as we go with younger role players, that's why I would place him higher on the list than some of the players who are not as close to ready and still have to go through the learning curve of being a pro.

Reactions: GNP

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

I'm still hopeful that Stanley might some day be an NHL talent. So yeah I'd much rather he be an NHL talent than replace the non-NHL calibre play of Chiarot. The hope is that Stanley will be FAR better than Chiarot. Realistically though that is looking like his ceiling, a below replacement level player that gets games for "grit".

Scott Kosmachuk was a 49 goal junior scorer with better defensive game, size, playmaking, hockey IQ and never made it. Spencer Machacek scored 33 goals in WHL. Hell Nic Petan scored 46 goals in WHL as well. Scoring in junior doesn't guarantee any kind of success. All the aforementioned were bigger, faster, strong, smarter than McKenzie. It's possible that McKenzie eventually becomes an NHLer but he is a HUGE longshot.

Suess I like as a prospect, but he's a potential 12/13 forward. And he needs to get there right now or he is moved past. Problem is he couldn't stay healthy his first year. A real longshot because of that. The window for depth guys is razor think and that injury might have ended his.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
We have lots of guys with some intrigue, Nathan Smith and Simon Lundmark haven’t even been mentioned yet.

Reactions: voyageur

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I'm still hopeful that Stanley might some day be an NHL talent. So yeah I'd much rather he be an NHL talent than replace the non-NHL calibre play of Chiarot. The hope is that Stanley will be FAR better than Chiarot. Realistically though that is looking like his ceiling, a below replacement level player that gets games for "grit".

Scott Kosmachuk was a 49 goal junior scorer with better defensive game, size, playmaking, hockey IQ and never made it. Spencer Machacek scored 33 goals in WHL. Hell Nic Petan scored 46 goals in WHL as well. Scoring in junior doesn't guarantee any kind of success. All the aforementioned were bigger, faster, strong, smarter than McKenzie. It's possible that McKenzie eventually becomes an NHLer but he is a HUGE longshot.

Suess I like as a prospect, but he's a potential 12/13 forward. And he needs to get there right now or he is moved past. Problem is he couldn't stay healthy his first year. A real longshot because of that. The window for depth guys is razor think and that injury might have ended his.

Yeah I should say exceed Ben Chiarot, who was probably most effective killing penalties. You are a coach, Holden, what do you think his biggest areas of improvement need to be? Angles, edgework?

Also agree that junior stats don't always add up. But from what I remember of Mc Kenzie's camp last year, was good things. Don't know how he fared in summer camp. He kind of reminds me of a Brendan Gallagher, a small player, who plays bigger. But yes he is a longshot.

I don't think there was a spot for Suess last year out of camp. Those were pretty much predetermined. Lemieux essentially took Dano's spot too. The Jets only called up one forward last year, Appleton, which is quite remarkable for health. Right now we have 10 forwards that are locks. If we don't make any moves, that's 3 open spots. You are right though, the window will close quick if this is not his year. Gustafsson and Nathan Smith will be making their push.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad